Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:27:55 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689617
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Suggestions for 28mm Bulgarians?  (Read 3014 times)

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Suggestions for 28mm Bulgarians?
« on: July 31, 2020, 01:46:48 PM »
I did see a video of a guy converting the 'old Wargames factory Soviet infantry. But I don't think that's an option now?
Just wondering if there is anything available for maybe WWI that would fit?
Suggestions please!
Ta
A millionaire trapped in a peasants body!

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Suggestions for 28mm Bulgarians?
« Reply #1 on: August 01, 2020, 07:56:03 AM »
If you're looking for a "good enough" force with minimal sculpting then Soviet figures with reshaped helmets may work. The Warlord Games ones are overized enough that modifying the rim a bit will give a similar apperance to the ones the Bulgarians used.

But I'd recommend doing research into what uniforms they used and their helmets. They may have had units equipped with foreign produced helmets that are more easily available. Along with them potentially having used foreign rifles as well (companies out there do White Russians in German service - who used Soviet uniforms, which may be a place to start).

It would be how you paint them along with what vehicles they use and their insignia which makes them distinct. I'd look for every opportunity to make them more "Bulgarian" than their donor figures. Particularly with Officer's uniforms and support weapons. Albeit admitedly on the Eastern Front the Axis used tonnes of captured equipment too.

Oh, and what year of the war they're being represented in would be relevent too. I.e. Pre or Post joining the Allies. I'm not clued up on what the Bulgarian equipment system was like late in the war, however there's examples that they at least started painting stars on their vehicles (like the Romanians did - so as not to confuse their new allies).

Where possible, find a book with pictures covering Bulgarian involvment in the war. You may see photographs of their soldiers wearing uniforms which you wouldn't otherwise find whilst searching Google or Pinterest. I.e. wearing ponchos, jackets, camo, etc. I'm assuming that you're wanting to depict them in a temperate environment rather than the Winter too (otherwise just stick them all in great coats and worry about the helmets).

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 01, 2020, 09:19:45 AM »
You might want to contact Great Escape Games as I believe they are planning a range of Bulgarian infantry in the near future (don't know when) to compliment their other Balkan ranges.

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 01, 2020, 12:31:51 PM »
Good point, I've already got there Greek figures and I love them.
Thanks chaps

Offline Tim Haslam

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 02, 2020, 10:31:12 PM »
Good news chaps,
Apparently Bulgarians from Great Escape Games are closer to release than perhaps expected!

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 03, 2020, 04:53:13 AM »
I would convert them from Albanian troops  lol

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #6 on: August 03, 2020, 09:03:06 AM »
Just do a reversal of  Candide and use SYW Prussians as proxies. It it was good enough for Voltaire....  :D

Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline brunei35

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: November 16, 2020, 09:28:51 AM »
Great escape games have announced a kickstarter for Bulgarians  https://www.greatescapegames.co.uk/online-store/gegstarter-bulgaria via their newsletter.

Offline Wyrmalla

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: November 16, 2020, 07:38:54 PM »
Personally, that would be a more interesting prospect if they were in Cold Weather uniforms. Though most collectors represent their figures in Summer uniforms, so maybe I'm a niche. And having the standard uniforms as a baseline does mean that you can add some variety to a Winter force with guys who haven't been issued warm clothing (or go ahead and sculpt on some fur coats made in the field).

Offline parttimegamer

• Assistant
    • For the love of terrain!
« Reply #9 on: December 15, 2020, 05:03:36 PM »
I have laid my hands on two pre-production samples of the forthcoming 28mm range of Bulgarians from Great Escape Games. I've posted a couple of pictures up on my blog of the under-coated miniatures (https://fortheloveofterrain.blogspot.com/2020/12/new-28mm-bulgarian-infantry.html).

When I have finished painting them, which I will hope will be tonight, I will post up some more photos so that you can see what they look like.
------------------
My interests are predominantly WWII, played in 28mm, and custom terrain-making.
Check out my blog at https://fortheloveofterrain.blogspot.com/

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #10 on: December 16, 2020, 06:20:00 AM »
While it’s hard to complain about manufacturers bringing us new and ever more exotic toys, those look like a bit of a miss. The helmet is the most distinctive aspect of the Bulgarian uniform and the sculptor really hasn’t captured it at all well. Similar thing with their range of Danes. I just wish GEG would invest a bit more time getting the details right as new ranges are always welcome.

Offline parttimegamer

• Assistant
    • For the love of terrain!
« Reply #11 on: December 16, 2020, 12:28:36 PM »
@carlos - I sort of get what you mean, but I don't think the ridge on the Bulgarian helmet was particularly prominent especially when compared to the Belgian or French helmet.

Maybe it was the undercoated model that didn't highlight that there is a ridge? I've finished painting them and can confirm that there is a ridge, which I feel is proportionate to the IRL version. I'm basing my opinion on looking at photos of helmets, but it is only my opinion. ;-)

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: December 16, 2020, 05:38:45 PM »
It’s not what you call the ‘ridge’ that’s off to my eye, it’s the overall shape. The M36 came in a variety of modified forms with the vast bulk of production being the so called Type C variant from 1939 on with a foreshortened rim and somewhat simplified details. All three types have a distinctly rounded shape to them. The GEG version looks like the sculptor has viewed, perhaps dimly through a veil,  the Soviet M1936 helmet and concluded it’s the same thing and possibly made out of felt. Anyway just an opinion.

For reference sake  an early (Type A) and later (Type C) M36 helmet, both pre-war types, the latter being the most common.

Offline Hang Tuah

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: December 18, 2020, 10:46:10 AM »
I see what Carlos means. The GEG ones appear more reminiscent of early Soviet helmets than they do of the Bulgarians'.

Offline RichBliss

• Librarian
  • With Lipbalm-Puce in the Congo
« Reply #14 on: December 18, 2020, 01:44:52 PM »
Just do a reversal of  Candide and use SYW Prussians as proxies. It it was good enough for Voltaire....  :D

That would be the best of all possible worlds