Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 19, 2024, 04:36:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1685053
  • Total Topics: 118007
  • Online Today: 766
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help! 28mm Warlord and Victrix EIR Auxiliary infantry Scale comparison please  (Read 1971 times)

Offline Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
Although I had no intention going larger than a dozen or so figures per side for small skirmish I went and got Infamy Infamy, just to have a look of course. . .   . And from there it snowballed! I already have the Victrix EIR Legionarys and looking at the Army lists thought for a nice bit of variation I'd get some Auxilia and was wondering as per the title how they scale as I find the Victrix figures are a little static and thinking back to smaller games like the look of the more dynamic poses of the Warlord Figures. Any thoughts and opinions would be greatly appreciated.
Many thanks in advance
JB

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
Based on what I know about the WG minis, and then the comparison pics I've looked at in re Victrix vs WG, the WG Auxiliary minis should work well with the Victrix.

The Victrix Roman Legionary minis are noticeably bigger than the WG version.  For some odd reason, when WG created their Auxiliary troops they came out noticeably bigger than the Legionary minis.  The excuse/reason WG gave for this was: "the Auxiliary troops are mainly Gallic and Germanic and they towered over the Romans". 
"May the dice of your God's roll like the breasts of your favorite concubine."  Graeme "Henry" Henderson, Dumfries c1980

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
Yeah, Warlord claimed that but I think they just got a lot of flak for making 25mm Romans.

The Warlord Auxiliaries should be fine with the Victrix Legionnaires.  (I have Victrix Greeks, Republican Romans and Successors and the Warlord Auxiliaries fit with them.)

Offline Phil D

• Lurker
I have a comparison pic somewhere in my archives of the WL Roman, WL Auxiliary, and Victrix Legionary.  I’ll see if I can dig it up.  I remember that the WL Auxiliary was fine compared to the Victrix offerings. 

My only knock on the WL Auxiliary is that they are a bear to rank up (no idea if Infamy Infamy is skirmish or what).  They also do tend to repeat poses, but someone with more imagination than I might be able to do more with them  :D

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
There are a very limited number of heads, as well. 

For ranking, I’ve come to the conclusion of diagonal/alternating ranks as if you are lined up one directly behind the other it would not be easy to rotate out of the front row nor to move up to the front unless the guy in front of you became a casualty.  Not only that, it’s far harder to use your weapons and support the front rank being directly behind. 

This may help in lining up these Auxiliaries.  They also have very limited weapons options so yeah, while nice, the poses repeat.  A lot.

BUT, you’re going for a skirmish game and not a mass battle game so I believe they would be a very good option.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
Yeah, Warlord claimed that but I think they just got a lot of flak for making 25mm Romans.

Agreed...

Sad thing is, I like their Romans  and bought enough to build an entire legion, with cavalry, artillery, auxiliary and so on on a scale of 20:1. 

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
Mine sat for years, to be honest.

Then I won a lot from an abandoned storage locker that included dozens of blisters of the Foundry EIR (among a lot of others). 

Seeing how nice they were sculpted renewed my interest in the Warlord figures. 

Yet, there was still that size difference!

The Foundry Auxiliaries are matched in size to the Legionnaires so a lot smaller than the Warlord Auxiliaries.  Yet, the Warlord ones are lunging so that lowers their height. 

I put a penny under the base for the Foundry Perry sculpted EIR and the Warlord 25mm EIR and that alone made an huge difference!

They’re on the back(ish) burner, but I think I can use them with 28mm (they don’t look too bad beside the Salah sculpted Foundry EIR or Blacktree Design EIR.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
Mine sat for years, to be honest.

Then I won a lot from an abandoned storage locker that included dozens of blisters of the Foundry EIR (among a lot of others). 

Seeing how nice they were sculpted renewed my interest in the Warlord figures. 

Yet, there was still that size difference!

The Foundry Auxiliaries are matched in size to the Legionnaires so a lot smaller than the Warlord Auxiliaries.  Yet, the Warlord ones are lunging so that lowers their height. 

I put a penny under the base for the Foundry Perry sculpted EIR and the Warlord 25mm EIR and that alone made an huge difference!

They’re on the back(ish) burner, but I think I can use them with 28mm (they don’t look too bad beside the Salah sculpted Foundry EIR or Blacktree Design EIR.

Good to know, thanks!!!

Offline wmyers

• Scientist
Good to know, thanks!!!

Have you based yours, yet? 

If so, perhaps you could see about adding something on the bottom to help raise them up.

Offline Mad Gadgeteer

• Scientist
Have you based yours, yet? 

If so, perhaps you could see about adding something on the bottom to help raise them up.

Nope, they are still in their boxes.  Only took a few out to look at the size differences.