Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:07:04 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Never mind The Bill Hooks - rules release in next month's Wargames Illustrated  (Read 16159 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
I'm pretty uninitiated into WI magazine, can someone tell me what places stock it in UK? Big Tesco's? WH Smiths? They have a "store locator" on their website, but it's pretty useless. Also, when do they usually come out?

WH Smiths carry it.

I am under the impression that there are less issues in print due to Covid 19. Maybe just order form North Star to be safe?

Link here:
https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=14942

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Most branches of W H Smith carry it, although not the small outlets on railway stations etc.
I picked up the August issue in Smiths in Lewes, Sussex, a couple of weeks ago. That's not a particularly big branch, but they had at least 7 or 8 copies of WI on the shelf amongst the hobby magazines.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Most branches of W H Smith carry it, although not the small outlets on railway stations etc.
I picked up the August issue in Smiths in Lewes, Sussex, a couple of weeks ago. That's not a particularly big branch, but they had at least 7 or 8 copies of WI on the shelf amongst the hobby magazines.

It's probably also worth pointing out that WH Smiths carry Wargames, Soldiers and Strategy and the larger branches also carry Karwansaray's Medieval Warfare and Ancient Warfare mags too. all high quality stuff. :)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
I just bought the August issue in my local WH Smiths about half an hour ago. So, yeah, you don't have to mail order it if you don't want to.

Oddly the Smiths in Ludlow almost always has it, yet the one in Leominster often doesn't. And yet, if anything, that one is the bigger of the two. Maybe there is just more appetite for wargaming books in Leominster than Ludlow and they always sell out before I get there.  ???

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
Our big Sainsbury's  stock it as well, but none of the other Wargames mags.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Oddly the Smiths in Ludlow almost always has it, yet the one in Leominster often doesn't. And yet, if anything, that one is the bigger of the two. Maybe there is just more appetite for wargaming books in Leominster than Ludlow and they always sell out before I get there.  ???

Yeah. It is a strange thing which I've never understood. Not that I buy wargames magazines any more to be honest, unless I know there's something specific in one to interest me. But I always found it weird that some huge branches of W H Smith didn't stock the two or three main wargames mags, whereas other, often smaller branches seemed to keep a plentiful stock of them.
Manager's choice maybe? Or just based on sales over a period. Presumably the shops that stock those titles have a history of customers buying them there, and the ones that don't, don't ::)

That or it's just a random, pot luck thing. Which is perfectly possible lol

Online OB

• Mastermind
Maybe different distributors too if that's still a thing.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Scatterbrained Genius
Have mine on order every month from the local; newsagent. The September issue will be in the shops the last week in August.
I'm wondering if Andy is the same bloke who sent me a WOTR skirmish ruleset a couple of three years ago?

???

"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Arcane Steve

• Assistant
If you are struggling to get your Wargames Magazines, we carry Miniature Wargames, Wargames Soldiers and Strategy and of course, Wargames Illustrated. We have had some supply issues with Miniature Wargames due to Covid but have plenty of WI on order. We have also sold through recent releases quite quickly. You can see current availabilty here:
https://arcanesceneryandmodels.co.uk/product-category/wargames-magazines/

Offline Winston

• Librarian
    • YouTube: Winston Ab Rees
After a bit of a delay due to the problems with Covid, The rules set for the War of The Roses 'Never mind the Bill Hooks'  will be included with the September issue of WI published in late August. The game rules have been written by the experienced rules writer Andy Callan and we have been play testing them in our gaming group in Bingham for some time. Danny and his team have made a superb job of producing a working rules set that will be included as a separate free colour supplement with the magazine. Here is a sample page of the rules. I hope that gamers will have as much fun as we have had with the rules:

Hold on, gaming group in Bingham? As in Bingham, Notts?
Give us a follow on Twitter: @winston_ab_rees and Insta: winston_ab_rees

Offline Arcane Steve

• Assistant
Yes, that's Bingham in Notts. We are a small group that were gaming regularly, meeting at each others house. Covid has stopped us gaming since February. There are actually two groups that are based in Bingham as well as a couple of independent gamers that I know of and used to meet at shows. It's surprising how many gamers there are around - they tend to keep it quiet and stick to small groups.

Online OB

• Mastermind
Got my copy today via NorthStar.

An interesting rule set at first glance I think.  The author thinks they will work for the Burgundian Wars too.  Handy enough for me as I have some suitable figures for that.  I might buy a few WOTR packs of figures and give it a go.

Offline Mammoth miniatures

• Mad Scientist
I just bought the August issue in my local WH Smiths about half an hour ago. So, yeah, you don't have to mail order it if you don't want to.

I worked in smiths up until recently and handled news for a while - the stores have no choice what they get in, it's all set externally based on what might sell or what suppliers can provide.

if the store doesn't have it it's either because
A: no one has requested it so they haven't contacted the supplier to try and get it (you can always do this, they'll set up a file in your name and you can go in an collect at any time.best to ask for whoever in the store deals with news deliveries since they'll know how to access the Menzies supplier system and make the order)
B: there are set stock numbers being sent out so certain stores miss out.
C: it was getting stolen alot so the ancient computer system that runs smiths restock system decided not to buy it anymore to prevent loss.
D: it does come in but the staff are aware that it doesn't sell so they simply mark it for early return and ship it back with last weeks returns that day, saving room for extra copies of things that do sell, because there's normally no room for extra magazine stock to be kept on hand.

Smiths takes alot of pride in stocking it's ludicrous range if niche interest hobby mags, but 99% of them don't sell. (i'm looking at you yacht owners monthly , no one in brixton needs you!) but since magazines are normally provided on a sale or return basis, it doesn't make much different to smiths so long as they can return the unsold copies.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God

(i'm looking at you yacht owners monthly , no one in brixton needs you!)

That is hilarious  lol
I always wondered about that. Ten different ‘Ultimate power boating monthly’ type titles, in landlocked Guildford Smiths, 30 miles from the nearest coastline...
And about ten different model railway magazines too.
Model railways are probably a more mainstream hobby than wargaming (although I only know one person, from amongst the thousands of people I’ve met through life, who actually owns a model railway layout), but I refuse to believe it’s such a big hobby that it can support half a shelf full of different magazines in Smiths  ::)

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
Alright, I ordered a copy from Northstar (together with the Limited edition WotR captain mini) and it came today. I browsed the rulebook and it looks really interesting. I like the emphasis on commanders and how you can personalize them - but not too much so it does not get complicated. I've got a table setup to do a little "me vs me" later today.