Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 10:47:41 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Never mind The Bill Hooks - rules release in next month's Wargames Illustrated  (Read 16334 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
"Okay Cubs, you've got this, you're painting those Napoleonic models for the article, your Star Wars guys are on hold, your WW2 Paras are on hold, your Gael-Norse are on hold, your Italo-Normans are on hold, your WW2 Early War guys are on hold, your Oldhammer Orcs are on hold, your Zulu War Brits are on hold and as for your Wars of the Roses guys ... well, nothing's happened to inspire you on that front for some time."

*Reads this thread.

"Goddammit ..."
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Nick2729

• Assistant
The rules look interesting on first read. Will certainly give them a go.

Are they a short version of a full medieval ruleset or a full stand alone? I can see lots of extensions possible i Chevauchee/100YW, Barons Wars, Scottish/Border wars.......

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
 Just finished my first practice game and Yorkist Maks won (which may just be because I do consider myself a Yorkist :D)

I had to simplify some stuff to fit my 4'x3' board and the fact that I was playing against myself, but this was fast and very bloody. I had two roughly equal forces (each side had 2 units of archers and 2 units of other infantry split into two wards consisting of 1 archery + 1 infantry unit and a commander) and the armies started roughly 30" from each other, but it was all over in 2 turns. Yorkists decimated the Lancastrian infantry with bows and two well timed charges by their infantry. That was enough to get all the morale tokens.

Overall, I liked it very much. With a bigger table, bigger armies and establishing some fluff (like personalize commanders) this looks like a very good "weekday evening" game. Gotta get some of my mates to come and try it out. And, of course, build bigger armies :D
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:38:22 PM by Maxromek »

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
M, looking at the rules and conclusions you've drawn, how big do you reckon would be the army you need? The Knights of the Oblong Table have been living in peace and harmony with each other for a year now...
I'm suspicioned that's about to change!

:)
"Wot did you do in the war Grandad?"

"I was with Harry... At The Bridge!"

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
"Okay Cubs, you've got this, you're painting those Napoleonic models for the article, your Star Wars guys are on hold, your WW2 Paras are on hold, your Gael-Norse are on hold, your Italo-Normans are on hold, your WW2 Early War guys are on hold, your Oldhammer Orcs are on hold, your Zulu War Brits are on hold and as for your Wars of the Roses guys ... well, nothing's happened to inspire you on that front for some time."

*Reads this thread.

"Goddammit ..."

Cubs mate, you cannot believe the joy and contentment I feel after reading your heartfelt snivel...
I really thought, it was only me who got into tangles like that!

:'(

Offline Winston

• Librarian
    • YouTube: Winston Ab Rees
I'll be playing for the first time tomorrow. I'll follow up with some pics and thoughts. Meanwhile, done a wee vid on the Utubes having had a read through and got an overview.

https://youtu.be/G90cKQ8lCyk
Give us a follow on Twitter: @winston_ab_rees and Insta: winston_ab_rees

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Thanks Winston. I'll take a look :)

As of this morning, my local W H Smiths still have a stack of the August WI issue on the shelves, no sign of September's WI yet ::)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
Cubs mate, you cannot believe the joy and contentment I feel after reading your heartfelt snivel...
I really thought, it was only me who got into tangles like that!

:'(

The struggle is real.

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
Harry,

The armies I played were between 70 and 80 points, I reckon 100 points per side (and not relying on Men-at-arms to pad up the numbers) will give a good game. But I also think even something like 150 would still be relatively "single evening"

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
The struggle is real.

Go on Cubs, you know you want to... Brave young Owen Lloyd, the dastardly Turbervilles, and Lordship of Kenfig Castle await... ;)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
Go on Cubs, you know you want to... Brave young Owen Lloyd, the dastardly Turbervilles, and Lordship of Kenfig Castle await... ;)

Rhys ap Thomas ... a very interesting character and powerful landowner, despite not being a member of the nobility and only knighted on the field at Bosworth by Henry Tudor.

Offline Harry Faversham

• Galactic Brain
Harry,

The armies I played were between 70 and 80 points, I reckon 100 points per side (and not relying on Men-at-arms to pad up the numbers) will give a good game. But I also think even something like 150 would still be relatively "single evening"

Thanks for that, appreciated... the Knights of the Oblong Table are getting restless!

::)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Nice video Winston, just the right approach I thought.

I'm currently working on a review of Billhooks and the stat's for Irish/Border Horse and Galloglaich.  It's an easy enough conversion.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
After watching the video (cheers Winston) these rules look perfect for the Battle of Ferrybridge which was the prelude to Towton!

A game that I have always very much wanted to play as defeat to the Lancastrian or Yorkists one way or the other had such an impact on the battle.

Fab stuff. I eagerly await the postman!  8)

Offline Arcane Steve

• Assistant
I'm not sure if I've posted this here before , but here's a link to one of our final play tests of Billhooks from my blog. It should help to give a flavour of how the game works:

https://arcanesceneryandmodels.co.uk/never-mind-the-bill-hooks-new-battle-report/

I hope that it is useful.