Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 12:36:57 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Never mind The Bill Hooks - rules release in next month's Wargames Illustrated  (Read 16406 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
I'm not sure if I've posted this here before , but here's a link to one of our final play tests of Billhooks from my blog. It should help to give a flavour of how the game works:

https://arcanesceneryandmodels.co.uk/never-mind-the-bill-hooks-new-battle-report/

I hope that it is useful.

I'll have a good read through it later tonight.

Do you think that game is playable without resorting to single bases in movement trays- I suppose it would work just as well using casualty markers?

Most of my Late Med. stuff is based (loosely) on 40mm ox 40mm- larger when I feel it's called for.

(I'm not a big fan of rebasing at all)

Offline OB

• Mastermind
I'd say it very easily is.  Keep track of casualties and it will al work.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
This chap seems to have crept under the radar perhaps? A special miniature to go with the rules, available from North Star.

https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=14940

I ordered one as soon as I saw it. Looks like he'll fit in great with Perry sculpts, and funnily enough I was just now wishing the Perrys had some more men-at-arms with livery jackets in good poses for fitting into a unit. Just what I needed! (though mine will be wearing French livery)

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
Lovely figure, shame that's a polaxe not a billhook...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
i have to ask; was there ever any consideration of calling the rules, "Never Mind the Ballock Dagger"?  :D

Offline Winston

• Librarian
    • YouTube: Winston Ab Rees
After watching the video (cheers Winston) these rules look perfect for the Battle of Ferrybridge which was the prelude to Towton!

A game that I have always very much wanted to play as defeat to the Lancastrian or Yorkists one way or the other had such an impact on the battle.

Fab stuff. I eagerly await the postman!  8)

Cheers and Ferrybridge - that's a good shout! Plenty more like it as well.
Give us a follow on Twitter: @winston_ab_rees and Insta: winston_ab_rees

Offline Winston

• Librarian
    • YouTube: Winston Ab Rees
I'm not sure if I've posted this here before , but here's a link to one of our final play tests of Billhooks from my blog. It should help to give a flavour of how the game works:

https://arcanesceneryandmodels.co.uk/never-mind-the-bill-hooks-new-battle-report/

Ah I'd not found that yet Steve, thanks. Really enjoying the rules so far.

Offline HappyChappy439

• Mastermind
Lovely figure, shame that's a polaxe not a billhook...

Plenty of room to paint up as a Burgundian in that case!  :D

Definitely looking forward to picking up a copy of the rules, not seen the September issue turn up in WH Smiths yet though!

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist

Ive also read there's going to be laminated cards and acryclic tokens for this from yourselves but can't see these avaliable?

Are you selling those as of yet or are they to follow later on?

For the goggle inept (me) a link if there up would be handy :)

Thanks.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Cheers and Ferrybridge - that's a good shout! Plenty more like it as well.

I've had it in mid as a display game at a show for many a year but never really got around to doing it as there were no real mid level skirmish games out there for the Wars of the Roses. I'm not a huge believer that one rule set can be adapted to suit all periods,  in rare cases some can, but most lose the feel for the period the rules were designed to capture very quickly in my experience.

So, very happy that these are coming out and I can't wait to read them :)

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
This chap seems to have crept under the radar perhaps? A special miniature to go with the rules, available from North Star.

https://www.northstarfigures.com/prod.php?prod=14940

I ordered one as soon as I saw it. Looks like he'll fit in great with Perry sculpts, and funnily enough I was just now wishing the Perrys had some more men-at-arms with livery jackets in good poses for fitting into a unit. Just what I needed! (though mine will be wearing French livery)

Charlie, he is a bit "beefier" than the Perrys, but definitely not unreasonable. I have a nice diorama with him in mind, hopefully will find some time to make it in the nearest fututre.

Offline steders

• Mad Scientist
Got the rules yesterday. I have to say first read through they look good.
They are well laid out, easy to read and (I think really importantly) contain great examples of play.
All my WOTR stuff is based on multiples of 4 so easy to adapt. Might have to set up a game at the club when we start back up.

Online Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
If you are struggling to get your Wargames Magazines, we carry Miniature Wargames, Wargames Soldiers and Strategy and of course, Wargames Illustrated. We have had some supply issues with Miniature Wargames due to Covid but have plenty of WI on order. We have also sold through recent releases quite quickly. You can see current availabilty here:
https://arcanesceneryandmodels.co.uk/product-category/wargames-magazines/

Gotta say dude, that was a fast turnaround, I got the mag less than 24hrs after ordering! I couldn't see September's WI on the Northstar site (maybe it's out of stock already) so I went to Arcane yesterday and now it's in front of me.

'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Gotta say dude, that was a fast turnaround, I got the mag less than 24hrs after ordering! I couldn't see September's WI on the Northstar site (maybe it's out of stock already) so I went to Arcane yesterday and now it's in front of me.

I wish I had thought of that..... I ordered a couple of Vallejo pots from arcane and they were there the next day! Superb service!

Note to self- order paints and mags from Arcane!

Offline Arcane Steve

• Assistant
To pick up a couple of points. Yes, multi based figures are fine for the game. In the early play tests we used some multi based units and just used a dice to record casualties until we could remove a base. The only issue to look out for is that as you remove a multi base, you are depleting the front rank of a unit, so your opponent needs to accept that the front rank is still full as the rules enable you to remove casualties from the rear rank, leaving the fron rank full to continue the fight!
The figure shown is of 'Lord Callan' produced by War Games Illustrated as a Giant in Miniature to go with Bill Hooks. As North Star actually cast these figures they are available from them and Wargames Illustrated. I will take great delight in letting Andy know that the figure looks a bit chunky...although it is a case of pot and kettle for me :).
And thanks for all the orders! We still have plenty of mags in stock and we post out by first class post ASAP on receipt of your order so if postie is on form, you should get it PDQ!
It's good to see a positive response to the game. We have had great fun with it and 'personalizing' your army commanders just adds to the enjoyment. I hope that you enjoy the game as much as we have.