Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 10:36:57 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Never mind The Bill Hooks - rules release in next month's Wargames Illustrated  (Read 16171 times)

Offline Arcane Steve

• Assistant
After a bit of a delay due to the problems with Covid, The rules set for the War of The Roses 'Never mind the Bill Hooks'  will be included with the September issue of WI published in late August. The game rules have been written by the experienced rules writer Andy Callan and we have been play testing them in our gaming group in Bingham for some time. Danny and his team have made a superb job of producing a working rules set that will be included as a separate free colour supplement with the magazine. Here is a sample page of the rules. I hope that gamers will have as much fun as we have had with the rules:

Offline Red Orc

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Baffled but happy
    • My new VSF blog:
Nice title. If you can find a way of working in half a dozen of one of Falstaff's companions, it could be 'Never Mind the Bill Hooks, here's the Six Pistols'. But he may be about 30 years early.

Offline Mark M Down

• Librarian
Looking forward to seeing them and giving them a go. If they are anything like the title they will be great fun.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
It looks very much  like I will be ordering WI next month then. :)

Just to check, that would be next month and not this August's issue?

Offline Norm

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Blog for wargaming in small places
Thanks for posting, that is helpful as I am assembling figures now.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Looks interesting Steve, thanks. Looks like I’ll have to buy next month’s WI as well.

Offline levied troop

• Mastermind
I’d get that for the title alone lol but anything by Andy Callan is well worth a look.
The League of Gentlemen Anti Alchemists
(We Turn Gold into Lead)

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
Are the infantry in a 6x2 block? Because that would be a happy coincidence based on how I'm basing my current WotR project :D

Offline Arcane Steve

• Assistant
Thank you for the comments. Yes, infantry are in a 6x2 block. The Supplement should be in the September Issue number 393. And I like the idea of the Six pistols...sounds like an ideal name for a group of Hand gunners!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
And I like the idea of the Six pistols...sounds like an ideal name for a group of Hand gunners!

"It sorts well with your fierceness" ;) :)

Offline James Morris

• Mastermind
    • mogsymakes
Brilliant title and eagerly awaited. I stopped playing WOTR years ago but will be delighted to read anything by Andy C. 

Offline OB

• Mastermind
Just ordered the appropriate issue of WI on the strength of this thread.  I've been toying with the idea of this period for a while.  I didn't want to do large forces this might be what I'm looking for.

Offline Ninefingers

• Scientist
Looking forward to it, and glad to see that the forces will be friendly to my existing forces for Lion Rampant.
Sorry to be an awkward bugger, but do you think that they will work for the Burgundian Wars?

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
Looking forward to it, and glad to see that the forces will be friendly to my existing forces for Lion Rampant.
Sorry to be an awkward bugger, but do you think that they will work for the Burgundian Wars?

I have (obviously) not seen the rules yet but anything that works for the Wars of the Roses ought to work for The Burgundian Wars. Both wars being contemporaneous.

Offline Maxromek

• Librarian
I'm pretty uninitiated into WI magazine, can someone tell me what places stock it in UK? Big Tesco's? WH Smiths? They have a "store locator" on their website, but it's pretty useless. Also, when do they usually come out?