Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 04:48:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 626
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Up the Nile! Beja, Fourth Lot WIP (bottom of page)  (Read 1939 times)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Up the Nile! Beja, Fourth Lot WIP (bottom of page)
« on: August 03, 2020, 09:20:42 PM »
Hi,

Here's the third lot of 'speed painted Beja.

Apologies about the picture quality. I'm using an old laptop whilst my newer one has a clean up and a new fan fitted.

You can hear  to be moan a little and view more pics from various angles on my blog here:
https://justaddwater-bedford.blogspot.com/2020/08/up-nile-beja-third-lot.html

Cheers :)
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 01:36:15 PM by Atheling »

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Up the Nile! Beja, Third Lot!
« Reply #1 on: August 04, 2020, 01:46:29 AM »
Very nice.  I like the shield slung on the back. I will have to borrow that idea next build.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #2 on: August 04, 2020, 10:44:08 AM »
Very nice.  I like the shield slung on the back. I will have to borrow that idea next build.

It wasn't done by my hand, it's one of the metals hat are mixed in 50/50.  :)

Now that you have pointed it out it would make a brilliant conversion, watch this space as I have another six to kit bash/pit together today :)

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2020, 02:51:06 PM »
Nice to see you back in the groove...
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2020, 04:51:43 PM »
Nice to see you back in the groove...

Thanks mate- it's nice to be back in the groove. It's been a few years..... [feels sheepish] :)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: August 06, 2020, 10:01:55 PM »
A wee pic so you can see how the skin tones work at approximate size..... well, the look closer to 40mm but you get the idea :)

Offline Smokeyrone

• Mastermind
  • Five Rings
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 10:49:26 PM »
Great stuff!  I just looked at my Perry plastic Beja units with disgust: "slovenly!  why cant you look sharp like THEM!"
Reigning USTA Florida, and National 50+ Singles Champion  (tennis)  TWO Time Florida 50+ Singles Champion!  Just won State 2019!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #7 on: August 12, 2020, 07:32:57 AM »
Great stuff!  I just looked at my Perry plastic Beja units with disgust: "slovenly!  why cant you look sharp like THEM!"

Thanks- appreciated  8)

They look better in numbers anyway so don't sweat it old chap :)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #8 on: August 12, 2020, 12:48:51 PM »
A wee pic so you can see how the skin tones work at approximate size..... well, the look closer to 40mm but you get the idea :)

This is a good idea. Must admit, never really thought too much about it, but showing figures on screen in approximately their actual size in real life is probably a useful thing. Must remember to do that with mine occasionally! Normally when I post pics of painted stuff, I'm showing 28mm figures at somewhere between 50mm - 75mm height on screen. Which doesn't show how they will look on the tabletop, never mind at a distance... 
Interesting ;)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 02:45:45 PM »
This is a good idea. Must admit, never really thought too much about it, but showing figures on screen in approximately their actual size in real life is probably a useful thing. Must remember to do that with mine occasionally! Normally when I post pics of painted stuff, I'm showing 28mm figures at somewhere between 50mm - 75mm height on screen. Which doesn't show how they will look on the tabletop, never mind at a distance... 
Interesting ;)

Yeah, I tend to show "three ups" without really thinking all the time too. I think it has to do that of you post a small picture it just isn't as attractive nor has the same visual impact as a larger scale image.

I might pop in one or two to scale imaged at the bottom of each post. Hopefully I'll remember this when doing the Photoshop thing :)

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 03:58:01 PM »

Well... they appear at about 90mm for me. But then I have my screen set to 130%.

Old eyes and all...  ::)

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #11 on: August 12, 2020, 07:09:20 PM »
Well... they appear at about 90mm for me. But then I have my screen set to 130%.

Old eyes and all...  ::)

100mm to me so the pics are 70% (possibly foolishly) larger then the sculpts!! (yep, I measured them  lol). My screen is set at 100% but no need to "adjust your set" Ray  :D
'

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: August 12, 2020, 07:12:12 PM »
It's more for the writing than the photos...  o_o

Enjoying your thread, BTW! Some really nice minis you got there!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #13 on: August 13, 2020, 07:55:58 AM »
It's more for the writing than the photos...  o_

I'm with you on that  :D. My eyes are screwed (excuse my 'French'). I'm at the stage where I'm using the first two lowest magnification lenses on my 'optivisor' simultaneously when painting  o_o o_o o_o

Enjoying your thread, BTW! Some really nice minis you got there!

Ta. Loads more to come.... it might take a year or so though  lol

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #14 on: August 20, 2020, 06:54:43 AM »
More on the way!  :)

As things stand today there are a mere five to show as the other seven were metals and needed a gloss coat before matting down as metal miniatures are much more prone to the paint chipping. All twelve were painted in one long sitting, which was probably about six or seven hours in total. I have not added the varnishing (and when the time comes; basing) to this equation as both tend to be done in short bursts. 

The basic premise of the first miniature was the image derived from the box of the Perry Miniatures, Plastic Mahdist Ansar where the Beja rifleman is running along carrying the rifle. I had the idea of chopping away the rifle and adding one of the sword in scabbard resting on shoulder parts so it would give the impression that the sword was about to be drawn. This proved to be much more fiddly then I had anticipated and involved the sacrifice of quite a few hands, swords and scabbards!! In the end I just pinned the parts together and added plenty of Polystyrene Cement as this tends to cover a multitude of sins. The miniatures right hand still sits a little awkwardly on the arm but over all I'm happy with it.

The second kit bash was much easier but still involved pinning the throwing stick and the spear with fine wire before gluing. The shield in the mini's felt hand helps cover the slightly angular manner in which the spear rested.

As I indicated earlier there are another seven mini's to make up the batch of 12 which will be matted down tonight (and possibly the next evening too if I miss any spots) to make up the 12. So, hopefully by tomorrow evening the batch should be complete and based up.