Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:54:33 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686634
  • Total Topics: 118117
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help with EIR Legion organisation for Invasion of Britain please  (Read 965 times)

Online Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
After a long time away from Ancients SPQR then Infamy, Infamy rekindled my Interest. Needless to say my reference library is non existent outside of the rulebooks so I was hoping you folks could recommend a good all encompassing volume on the Roman Army of this time including Auxiliary support etc. I've got to rely on buying online and didn't want to spend a fortune on books that don't answer my questions. The Complete Roman Army Goldsworthy caught my eye if anyone has it could give an opinion perhaps. Many thanks in advance
JB

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Re: Help with EIR Legion organisation for Invasion of Britain please
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 07:35:22 AM »
I still think the WRG Armies and Enemies of Rome is a useful book to have when dealing with roman imperial armies (as long as you ignore the authors insistence on late Romans wearing boiled leather armour). lots of info on organization, uniforms and short accounts of many battles.

http://www.wrg.me.uk/WRG.net/index.html

Online SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 08:14:33 AM »
Hi, the WRG book is now getting a tad dated but is basically sound. Anything by Goldsworthy is bound to be good as he is probably today's leading expert on the 1/2nd century Roman Empire plus writes well.  I have Patricia Southern's book on the Roman army which is excellent but would give Goldsworthy the nod.

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 03:42:25 PM »
Romans...faahsands of them.. :o
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 05:28:08 PM »
I would agree that the books by Adrian Goldsworthy are my "go to" for information.  I also have Peter Connolly's "Greece and Rome at War" which is a bit dated but good for general information. 

My own legion is modelled on Legio VI Victrix which served in Britannia and my version is roughly 1:20.
https://leadadventuhttp://leadadventureforum.com/Smileys/frankenstein/cheesy.gifreforum.com/index.php?topic=121726.msg1607492#msg1607492 

The legion so far - I still have the baggage train, Legionary cavalry (eques legiones - 6 figures), the Legate's bodyguard (singulares legati legionis - 3 figures), some engineers and other immunes (heavy artillery, medical, etc.).  And maybe an elephant.  Claudius brought one.   Though Polyaenus was describing Julius Caesar's raid he was probably confusing it with Claudius' conquest in 43AD.
"Caesar had one large elephant, which was equipped with armour and carried archers and slingers in its tower. When this unknown creature entered the river, the Britons and their horses fled and the Roman army crossed over,"   Polyaenus, (VIII, 23.5). 

Note that the Nubian light infantry are "generic light infantry" and not part of the legion for Britannia.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 12:52:37 PM »
Looking good, seconded on the Goldsworthy recommendation...  and the link to your stuff is broken? which is a shame.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Online Johnny Boy

• Scientist
  • The Older I get the better I was.. . . .
« Reply #6 on: October 06, 2020, 06:11:57 PM »
Many thanks for your replies, much appreciated. I'm going to order The Goldsworthy Complete Roman Army. Well, to start with anyway. . . . While I was ferreting about I also came across Dan Merseys Wargamers guide to the Early Imperial Roman Army. Anyone read or got it??