Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:42:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Saxons for Saga Questions  (Read 1391 times)

Offline Proclus

• Schoolboy
Saxons for Saga Questions
« on: August 08, 2020, 08:07:50 PM »
So I'm looking to get into Saga, and I want to start with two four-point forces to play against each other with my son since I don't know anyone in the area who plays Saga (I mainly play Warmachine/Hordes at the FLGS).

I have the footsore Romano-British warband, and I'm excited to start painting it up.

I'm looking to pair this with a group of Saxons, which could be the Saxons from Aetius and Arthur, or either of the two Saxon factions in Age of Vikings (both books I have).

I also happen to have (from a gift) Aella, Hengist and Horsa, and all the early Saxon cav models (although I think I will leave these out for now getting started).

My questions are these: What are main differences I should look out for between the early saxon and late saxon lines from Footsore? Any advice for the most beginner friendly pairing with the Romano-British warband?  Best list composition for four points?  Are there other manufacturers I should be looking at?  I see they have a "make your own" deal for late Saxons but not for early.  What would the historical compromises be playing the late models as early?  It seems the main difference is in the facial hair.

I also have the long-term consideration that I might like to expand these forces to be suitable for a Dux Britanniarum.  Anyone have advice for future proofing my forces for this purpose?  What would be the minimum number/type of models for Dux?

Offline mikedemana

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Investigating curiosities around the globe...
    • Worldwidemike
Re: Saxons for Saga Questions
« Reply #1 on: August 08, 2020, 10:18:44 PM »
I have not played either of the armies, though I have played their descendant Welsh and Anglo-Danes (and against the Anglo-Saxons) from the Age of Vikings book. I would say field a mix of troop types, since you'll be learning and want to learn the interplay between hearthguards, warriors, and levy. Remember the warlord is free, so you have potentially five units in each army.

I say potentially because you can play with the sizes. For example, in my Welsh army I used 3 points of warriors (24 figures), but divided them into two units of 12 rather than three separate 8 point units. I like larger, more survivable units, though it means you'll be rolling fewer command (or "saga" dice). My Anglo-Saxon figures are 28mm Foundry, and I like them. However, Footsore does make very nice sculpts. Just remember to purchase the weapons pack(s), as they come with closed fists that you must drill out and no weapons.

I'm sure others will chime in with more specific advice on miniature lines. Welcome aboard!

Mike Demana

Offline SteveBurt

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 08, 2020, 10:28:07 PM »
The main thing with early Saxons is the distinctive helmets. For Dux Brit, you need 2 x 6 elite warriors, and 3 x 6 warriors I think plus Lord, Champion and Leaders and some skirmishing missile troops

Offline Byrthnoth

• Bookworm
« Reply #3 on: August 09, 2020, 12:11:47 AM »
From what I understand, the different Saga supplement books are designed to be balanced within their setting, but warbands will not necessarily be well-matched across supplements — so pitting, say, Romano-British against Anglo-Danes may not produce the most interesting game.

Also, apparently the Aetius and Arthur book is being revised and slated to be the next Saga release, although it’s not clear exactly when it’s coming out. That may change the calculus of what an ideal list looks like, although if you’re going to be building both warbands there’s nothing to stop you sticking with the current book and battle boards.

Warlord has a very nice range of migration-era Saxons designed by Colin Patten (formerly Saxon Miniatures). They are cast with open hands and come with separate weapons, which can be a bit fiddly. I have some of the ex-Saxon vikings and I ended up replacing their right hands and weapons with extras from plastic kits. Otherwise they are terrific and capture the early medieval vibe for me.

Broadly, between ‘early’ Saxons (5th, 6th, maybe 7th c.), ‘Anglo-Saxons’ (9-10th c) and ‘Anglo-Danes’ (11th c.), there’s a movement of mail getting longer (it stopped a bit below the waist in the early period and came down below the knees in the most well-equipped warriors) and shields getting bigger — there’s and argument that the migration period Saxons used quite small shields and fought in a fairly loose, fluid style. Helmet styles changed too.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 09, 2020, 08:23:20 AM »
Hi,

Not being a Saga player having only played one game with an ex girlfriend and Darren at Vapnartak seven or so years ago vis a vis I'm not one to ask about the rules/armies. But, having said that, I can definitely assist You on the mini's front. I was involved in the play testing of The Age of Arthur Warhammer Ancient Battles supplement which is where the newer (Arthurian) ranges of Gripping Beast and more pertinent to you Musketeer (now Footsore) for which both ranges were specifically designed. I also took part in a few WAB Age of Arthur Campaign Weekender's in Notts.

My questions are these: What are main differences I should look out for between the early saxon and late saxon lines from Footsore?

If I'm right in thinking you mean cosmetic differences then the Footsore Early Saxon miniatures come with bucklers (smaller shields) and the Late Saxon/Anglo Dane Saxons with larger shields. I should also mention that Bill's Early Saxon range come with fine beards too!  :D

It seems the main difference is in the facial hair.

See my comment above re: Early Saxon Beards!  lol Actually, the main difference between the warrior class of both eras would be huge. If a 5th of 6th  Century Saxon member of the warrior class were to stand next to his 11th Century counterpart they would certainly notice that helmet styles had changed dramatically, become more functional and less flamboyant. More warriors has swords as well as scramasax and spears. Yes, somethings items of equipment would not have changed. But the style, abundance and quality of equipment in the latter would be very noticeable.

Are there other manufacturers I should be looking at?

Gripping Beast, West Wind, Wargames Foundry, 1st Corp, Warlord Games, Artizan Designs, Crusader Miniatures; you are literally spoiled for choice.

I also have the long-term consideration that I might like to expand these forces to be suitable for a Dux Britanniarum.

See above.

Hope that helps a little?
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 07:18:34 AM by Atheling »

Offline Shark in Exile

• Student
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 08:00:14 PM »

As well as the Footsore Early Saxons I have added in Footsore Goths on foot, more hairy barbarian types to scare the British locals  :D :D

Footsore have always been happy to replace the Goth shields with Saxon buckler when I have ordered.

Offline Proclus

• Schoolboy
« Reply #6 on: August 12, 2020, 05:11:07 PM »
Wonderful feedback from everyone!

I just got started on the first batch of Britons:

Lovely details on these models.

I'm also listening to The Shining Company on Audible, and it's definitely setting the mood.  Anyone have any other good recommendations for audio books to listen to while painting these warriors?  Really, anything 5-7th century sounds interesting to me; doesn't have to center in Brittain.