Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 08:53:46 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Diecast Vehicle Conversions for 1920's and 1930's China Update 30Aug20  (Read 5054 times)

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
    • My blog: Major Thomas Foolery
Hi All,

I've started converting over some diecast trucks and vans based on vehicles seen in Shanghai at that time.

Additional images showing the sizes and free copies of the decals I designed can be found on the blog:
https://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/2020/08/customized-diecast-vehicles-for-28mm.html

Thanks!
Chris
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 10:26:20 PM by joekano »
"Gentlemen, you can't fight in here, this is the war room." -President Merkin Muffley
http://majorthomasfoolery.blogspot.com/

Offline Valerik

• Mad Scientist
  • "...promiscuously brandishing a revolver..."
Re: Diecast Vehicle Conversions for 1920's and 1930's China
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 03:46:45 AM »
Splendid work this, well done Sir.
The Chinese markings are especially so.

You have doubtless discovered the biggest problem with Lledo vehicles: the wheels & tyres are quite small almost across the board.  This gives them a squat, low slung stance that is unprototypic.  The problem is exacerbated when your figures are based, especially the thick ones like slotta. 
I judge all my vehicle purchases with a handy figure, using the Mk. I* Eyeball scale:  "If it looks right it is right", ditto 'planes n'boats. 1/48-1/52 seems the sweet spot. Somewhere there's a chart I made up for Lledo giving wheelbase dimensions vs actual vehicular measurements, to help sort things out.  Still have the wheel/tyre problem though, no matter how faithful the chassis.  I often wish there were a ready source of scale spoked, dished and wire wheels available for a reasonable price. 

Incidentally 'Lledo' was Matchbox designer & Lledo founder Jack Odell's radio 'handle' in the Western Desert, a reversal of his own surname, a mnemonic device so as not to forget his wireless call sign!!

Valerik

Somebody tried to tel me a Covid joke the other day, I didn't get it...
BGR

"Fart in the devil's face"
Martin Luther

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 07:47:31 AM »
Excellent work.  I love the buildings too.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 10:20:34 AM »
Great job Joe..I love converting Die Casts..

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 11:08:09 AM »
Top job!
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
« Reply #5 on: August 10, 2020, 11:37:59 AM »
Great job! I will be by the blog anon to steal learn from you.
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 10, 2020, 06:53:50 PM »
Thanks Everyone!  Yes ,the Lledo vehicles aren't the perfect option, but they are fairly cheap and will get the job done.  I've ordered a few more, so will follow up once they arrive and get updated.

Chris

Offline Orctrader

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Orctrader's Painted Figures
« Reply #7 on: August 10, 2020, 07:27:04 PM »
Brilliant in every way.   :)

Offline FramFramson

• Elder God
  • But maybe everything that dies, someday comes back
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 11:09:53 AM »
Splendid work this, well done Sir.
The Chinese markings are especially so.

You have doubtless discovered the biggest problem with Lledo vehicles: the wheels & tyres are quite small almost across the board.  This gives them a squat, low slung stance that is unprototypic.  The problem is exacerbated when your figures are based, especially the thick ones like slotta. 
I judge all my vehicle purchases with a handy figure, using the Mk. I* Eyeball scale:  "If it looks right it is right", ditto 'planes n'boats. 1/48-1/52 seems the sweet spot. Somewhere there's a chart I made up for Lledo giving wheelbase dimensions vs actual vehicular measurements, to help sort things out.  Still have the wheel/tyre problem though, no matter how faithful the chassis.  I often wish there were a ready source of scale spoked, dished and wire wheels available for a reasonable price. 

Incidentally 'Lledo' was Matchbox designer & Lledo founder Jack Odell's radio 'handle' in the Western Desert, a reversal of his own surname, a mnemonic device so as not to forget his wireless call sign!!

Valerik

Somebody tried to tel me a Covid joke the other day, I didn't get it...

I've used wheels of wrecked Matchbox cars to upgrade Lledo vehicles so they fit better. Comes out a treat if you can get your grubby mitts on the intermediate size wheels (obviously there's a variety of sizes).

There's a thread around here with more detailed info on efforts both vodkafan and I made to make such conversions, but damned if I can find it at the mo. 

A simpler option might be acquiring some 1st Corps wheels, as they look quite good. Not sure if they're sold separately, but a quick inquiry can't hurt.

I joined my gun with pirate swords, and sailed the seas of cyberspace.

Offline Dodgy_Ed

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: August 12, 2020, 02:01:56 PM »
They look awesom; if you're after more vehicles Oxford diecast do an almost perfectly scaled truck. Although most of their stuff is 1:76 but the they also do a promotional chevy type truck in a bigger scale which works well; it's available with a variety of loads and tilts, ebay https://www.ebay.co.uk/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p2334524.m570.l1313&_nkw=Oxfrod+diecast+chevrolet+truck&_sacat=0&LH_TitleDesc=0&_odkw=oxford+diecast+chevrolet+truck&_osacat=0has dozens of them for a few quid a piece and if you happen to be lucky enough to have a model railway show the traders almost always have them at dirt cheap prices.
« Last Edit: August 12, 2020, 02:05:34 PM by Dodgy_Ed »

Offline joekano

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 12, 2020, 05:31:58 PM »
Thanks for the lead Ed.  I'll have to see how easy these are to find on this side of the pond.

Chris

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #11 on: August 24, 2020, 11:29:16 PM »
Nicely done,
I must admit I thought of Vodkafan's Wheel resizing threads( I couldn't find it either)

Some of the new wheels I've used on the Follies car's are sculpted by Rich.H . Some are by me .All are designed to switch out wheels on Diecast cars.

If you ask Simon and Mick at 1st Corps for several sets they may do you some( there are some sets floating around on their site but not all the wheels are on the website as separate sets as of yet.)

Offline vodkafan

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #12 on: August 25, 2020, 11:19:09 PM »
Nicely done,
I must admit I thought of Vodkafan's Wheel resizing threads( I couldn't find it either)

Thanks Mark and Fram  for remembering! I looked through all my previous threads and found it (2016) but the photos were victims of the Photobucket carnage. I have the originals somewhere so I will put them up again probably tomorrow. I have also since found a new source of resin wheels for later vehicles.   
I am going to build a wargames army, a big beautiful wargames army, and Mexico is going to pay for it.

2019 Painting Challenge :
figures bought: 500+
figures painted: 57
9 vehicles painted
4 terrain pieces scratchbuilt

Offline trev

• Mad Scientist
    • The Bits Box
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 10:34:40 AM »
Looking forward to this.  I missed the original post.

Offline Etranger

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 10:52:16 AM »
Great work & thanks for the decals. I suspect they will emerge in a Den of Thievery in the future...
"It's only a flesh wound...."