Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 09:43:35 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689638
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: ECW help with rules and basing  (Read 876 times)

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • Zillions of painted miniz!
ECW help with rules and basing
« on: March 10, 2024, 10:30:59 AM »
Hello all

Like the title says i´m after rules for ECW in 15mm.
They most be easy to learn, play with 4 or 5 regiments per side and either individually based or multy based figures (either is ok for me).
Do please state the size of bases to use in those rules and how many figures per regiment so that i have an idea of what to invest to complement what i already have.

Also if there are figures compatible with Eureka ones. Its what i have so far. Steel Fist perhaps?

Thanks for your help.

Rui

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: ECW help with rules and basing
« Reply #1 on: March 10, 2024, 10:56:27 AM »
Pikeman's Lament sounds like what you're after mate. Nice and simple mechanics (if lacking in a bit of flavour). Units of six or 12. Basing is agnostic, so whatever you want really. You can either do figures individually or mutli-based (casualty markers would be needed).

Give Peter Pig a look for 15mm ECW.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: March 10, 2024, 11:15:36 AM »
I'm sure Pikemen's Lament gives a good game for that many units but my go-to ECW rules are Simon Miller's "For King and Parliament". They may be optimised for bigger battles than you anticipate but worth a look. There is no figures removal so my regiments are based as single units as "mini dioramas". Also, as they are played on a gridded mat there is no set base size.....your units just have to fit in the grid box.

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2024, 10:24:13 PM »
The author of the thrifles blog (link) uses a modified version of Pikeman's Lament for large battles. Sigur has a review of In Deo Veritas on his site that includes an image of the basing rules (link). Although designed for the TYW I believe there is a guide for the ECW. He also has a review of Twilight of Divine Right (link) that includes basing info. Both sets are designed for small scale miniatures, based in multiples.

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: March 11, 2024, 06:38:05 PM »
Thank you all for your tips.

Pikemans Lament seems to be the rules i may want so i will start checking those. :)

I dont want big battles/armies. Just some units i can push forward and roll a few dice. My gaming table is limited (90 x 150 cm).

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #5 on: March 13, 2024, 12:58:48 AM »

Pikemans Lament seems to be the rules i may want so i will start checking those. :)

I dont want big battles/armies. Just some units i can push forward and roll a few dice. My gaming table is limited (90 x 150 cm).
I played a game of PL on a 4x4 table a couple of weeks ago and it was fine. Most of the units were either Forlorn Hope, Commanded Shot or Horse so small footprints, but a couple of 12 figure units as well, and there was both still plenty of room and yet not large expanses of open table top.

Online Radar

• Librarian
    • KeepYourPowderDry
« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2024, 05:23:36 PM »
Eureka tower over Steel Fist. Not many ranges match up with Eureka, as Eureka have a bit of heft to them. Blue Moon are a similar height, but will appear underfed in comparison

I have a 15mm ECW comparison post (or three)* in the pipeline for KeepYourPowderDry, slightly delayed as I have been waiting for a final order to arrive.

* I really do mean three, the first looks at what ranges are available and what each range has to offer; second side by side comparison of foot; third side by side comparison of mounted figures. If I get my act together, the first post will be out on Monday morning
« Last Edit: March 15, 2024, 05:27:14 PM by Radar »
www.keepyourpowderdry.co.uk gaming the British Civil Wars in 15mm, and home of the ECW travelogue - dreadful painting, mediocre prose

Offline Malamute

• Prince of Darkness
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
    • Boot Hill Miniatures
« Reply #7 on: March 15, 2024, 08:15:00 PM »

:)

As James says, I think you’ll enjoy PL.
"These creatures do not die like the bee after the first sting, but go on age after age, feeding on the blood of the living"  - Abraham Van Helsing

Offline rumacara

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 15, 2024, 09:12:03 PM »
Again, thank you all for your advise. :)

Radar, looking forward for your posts.