Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:20:46 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686458
  • Total Topics: 118100
  • Online Today: 811
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 28mm Border Reivers - Help me make an up to date list/size comparisons  (Read 8646 times)

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
I've been trying to work out options for 28mm Border Reivers, basically to match up which ranges match with each other and which don't and so on, plus what some ranges have become.

I've read some threads on here but which are from 5, 6 years ago, and a variety of blog posts and suchlike, which have some size comparisons and photos, but I wanted to try and work out a definitive up to date list of what options are available:

So:

Wargames Foundry:
Elizabethan Range
Swashbucklers Range
- Do they match size-wise?

Monolith became Graven Images became Timeline/Hoka Hey?

Vendel are now sold by Thistle and Rose in the US?

TAG do Elizabethans which include packs labelled as Borderers

Colonel Bill's Border Reiver Range

Reiver Castings (Northumbrian painting services)

Any others I'm missing?

I think that the Foundry Swashbucklers match up quite well with Timeline/Hoka Hey, but I don't know about the specific Elizabethan range.

Anyone know how TAG match up with any other manufacturer?
Likewise the old Vendel range which I recall I liked the look of, but unsure how they match up?

If you have any comparison pictures please do add them to this thread too if you can/don't mind; would be good to get everything in one place.

Thanks for any help!

Rob

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
Re: 28mm Border Reivers - Help me make an up to date list/size comparisons
« Reply #1 on: August 10, 2020, 09:04:30 PM »
Note that Reiver Castings are the old Outpost miniatures.

They are the only ones I have, so can't offer comparisons.  26-27mm toe to eye, medium heft; will generally mix well til you get to ranges that really should be labelled 30-32mm.

Oh, and bonus answer to an unasked question:
Things From The Basement has recently released some lovely laser-cut cottages and a bastle house.  I'm in the midst of prepping mine for painting and assembly now.  The cottages come with laser-cut teddy bear fur for the thatched roofs!
https://www.thingsfromthebasement.com/store/c46/Border_Reivers_-_The_Greit_Cursing.html
« Last Edit: August 10, 2020, 09:17:39 PM by Cat »

Offline Dags

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 10, 2020, 09:45:18 PM »
The Foundry Elizabethans were sculpted by one of the Perrys and the swashbucklers were by, iirc, Mike Owen and are much bigger

Monolith sold the Graven Images range which then went to Hoka Hey - they're lovely but limited especially as there is/was only one horse pose

The old Vendel and Col. Bill's range match as they used the same sculptor

Offline Emir of Askaristan

• Mastermind
    • My Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 10, 2020, 10:42:34 PM »
I worked on an Elizabethan/Marian project at the beginning of lockdown. I'll get some pics for you tomorrow. There are some on my blog.

Foundry Elizabethans are small but well sculpted. Their Swashbucklers are bigger and match Casting Rooms Elizabethans, which have some good and some not so good sculpts.

Colonel Bill is Vendel/ Thistle and Rose and they are about the same size as the swashbucklers. However these are losing some definition and the poses can be a wee bit wooden.

Hoka Hey have the old Graven Images Reivers which are very very nice, but a little bigger and chunkier than the aforementioned ranges. They also do a range of elizabethans which I think came from pendraken. A different style of sculpting from the excellent Reivers - I'd give the Elizabethans a miss.

I don't have any TAG figures.

Swashbucklers/Casting room/Vendel/Graven and TAG should all match , perhaps not in the same unit, but certainly in the same army.

If I were doing a Border Reivers force I'd go with the Graven/Hoka Hey figures.

Offline BillK

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scientist
« Reply #4 on: August 10, 2020, 10:44:56 PM »
The originally Vendel Border Reivers are now owned-sold by the Thistle & Rose guys in the U.S.. Great guys. If you go to their F'book page and contact them you can order the figures. They are casting as ordered rather than keepng loads of stock on-hand... https://www.facebook.com/TandRMiniatures/

Offline Paul Richardson

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: August 11, 2020, 08:48:32 AM »
The Foundry Elizabethans were sculpted by the Perrys for Citadel Miniatures and were marketed by Citadel as Wars of Religion figures. The figures were designed to be 25mm and so are much smaller than the Swashbucklers.

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2020, 09:20:29 AM »
Warlord WOR, Foundry Swashbuckler, TAG Dutch, Colonel Bills/ D'Arlo (base removed?), Monolith/Timeline (base removed), Thistle and Rose/Vendel, Outpost
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #7 on: August 11, 2020, 09:21:42 AM »
L to R: Casting Room miniatures Elizabethan, TAG German, TAG Early Swede (on booster?), TAG Dutch, TAG Tudor, GW Estalian (on booster), Colonel Bills/D''Arlo (removed from base)

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 11, 2020, 09:24:17 AM »
L to R: Redoubt, Old Glory War of Religon (base significantly thinned), TAG Dutch, Thistle and Rose/Vendel, Foundry Swashbuckler, Old Glory WoR (base thinned), Redoubt

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 11, 2020, 09:25:29 AM »
L to R: TAG, Warlord, Reiver, Redoubt, Timeline/Monolith

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: August 11, 2020, 09:26:34 AM »
L to R: TAG, Vendel, Reiver, Foundry, Timeline/Monolith

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #11 on: August 11, 2020, 09:28:00 AM »
From the left: Vendel (Thistle and Rose), Eureka, Eureka, The Assault Group Dutch, Foundry Swashbuckler

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 11, 2020, 09:30:35 AM »
Height differences between different sub-ranges in The Assault Group 's Renissance range - these figures are from the Dutch, German, Stuart English snd Swedish* ranges...
*Figures in the Early Swedish/Finnish packs vary between this chappy (the smallest) and an average height about that of the Germans.

The Germans, Tudors (and most of the Swedes) will fit with the Sea Beggars neatly if popped onto a booster - the Stuarts not so much.

Left to Right: Dutch, Dutch, German, Stuart English and Early Swedish.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #13 on: August 11, 2020, 09:30:41 AM »
Interesting question. My experience with this (admittedly around 12 years ago) is shown below!

As it happens, I started my ECW collection accidentally by first buying selected Bicorne / Renegade / TAG cavalry is burgonets and cabassets to use as 'late period' border reivers - basically because I didn't like any of the other figures available at the time ::)

I later expanded my 'Late Elizabethan' / border reiver collection to to include figures from the Foundry Sea Dogs range (excellent - some of the best character figures anywhere, ever IMHO)...

... The Vendel border reivers by Colin Patten, erstwhile Gripping Beast putty-Lord (great historical accuracy / period flavour, but proper squat little wargaming munchkins with flat faces, and rather stiffly posed)...

...Old Glory Wars of religion types (Frankly terrible - these were the only 10 halfway usable figures I could get out of a bag of 30 castings)...

...And a few of the Copplestone-sculpted 'El Dorado' figures - lovely figures, but about 100 years too early, and slightly taller than the rest.

I would say the Foundry Sea Dogs (apart from a few of the larger characters), the Vendel and Old Glory figures all fitted together pretty well size-wise.

I repeatedly considered the Graven Images border reiver figures (which have since had a couple of changes of ownership / rebrands), but they are a/ much larger than regular 28mm figures, and b/ have a very distinctive, slightly cartoony style that (IMHO) doesn't fit at all well with anything else out there.

Probably the best figures for the period / setting are the 40mm Perry figures, but a/ it's a small range and b/ they are 40mm - so lovely, but not much use other than for genuinely very small scale skirmishes of half a dozen figures a side.

If I was going into border reivers now, I would unhesitatingly go for the TAG border revier figures that sit within within the Tudor English range - this offers a sizeable range of different miniatures, that look excellent, and (based on all the other TAG figures I own) will scale in pretty well with the Foundry swashbucklers.

In fact, I still might!
Another resurrection project looms  lol

Offline TheBlackCrane

• Mad Scientist
    • Tales of the Black Crane
« Reply #14 on: August 16, 2020, 04:18:56 PM »
Thanks all, really helpful. I am going to purloin some other comparison pictures from elsewhere on the web and stick them here too, but for my purposes my well go down the TAG/Foundry Swashbuckler route

(Although, having seen Captain Blood's figures, it kind of makes me give up in despair!  lol)

Next thing of course will be habitual search for rules, but I'm going to paint first and thing about that afterwards. Want to come up with a good campaign system, kitting out individual characters type of thing.