Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:52:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686462
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Beaverette Armoured Car  (Read 984 times)

Offline Arcane Steve

• Assistant
Beaverette Armoured Car
« on: August 11, 2020, 11:29:49 AM »
I am planning to make a scratch built model of the Beaverette Armoured car in 1/48th scale and I am looking for a decent set of plans. I've emailed the Tank Museum at Bovington but have yet to receive a reply - COVID and all that. I have also ordered a copy of the Airifix book 'Building armoured cars' which I understand has some 1/72nd scale drawings of the Beavette. I've also had a browse through Pinterest and google and have some good images. Is there anyone out there that has built such a model and can you point me in the direction of plans or other good references. Thanks for your help!

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
Re: Beaverette Armoured Car
« Reply #1 on: August 11, 2020, 11:51:34 AM »
The MAFVA magazine "Tankette" had full plans for a 1/35th scale Beaverette.  Index says issue 20.2.
Copies can be obtained via the MAFVA (service for members......but the society is well worth joining if you have any interest in WW2 vehicles and gaming)

Offline Noverre Man

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: August 11, 2020, 12:11:03 PM »
There is one available on ebay 3d printed if that suits, had some printed at 1/72 well pleased.
You are never too old to be childish

Offline Will Bailie

• Mastermind
    • Will's toy soldier blog
« Reply #3 on: August 11, 2020, 01:53:17 PM »
Have you checked out War Wheels?

http://www.warwheels.net/Beaverette3INDEX.html

No plans, but plenty of photos and references to model kits.

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 13, 2020, 09:15:43 AM »
It depends on which version of the Beaverette .
As I've only made three a master for a mk2 , a one off commission for a mk3, and a converted Beaverette in Irish service .
In all three case's I had to work from photographs. As any line drawing I came across were inaccurate be it armour plate angles not correlating across the views or. Details being misinterpreted from the original vehicle.
For example there's a 1/35th resin kit of a mk1 & a mk2  which both have  misinterpreted the rear folding armour on the crew compartment. As having both pannels of the folding armour touch/overlap when up right. This has then been copied on to several smaller scale models.
In reality there's a gap which aligns with the weapon mount in the front armour. Because the gap is intended to function as a second firing point when the rear of the vehicle is facing the enemy.
A little time studying original photographs shows a rear view with the plates folded down . And its evident that they don't touch. A little more routing around will find pictures with armour up and the gap is visible.Which if your not careful enough when analysing can be misread as having the panel behind the gunner as being down.That coupled with the fact a lot of photos have a third crewman stood infront of the gap. Or the gunners head blocks the detail in the photo.
The mk1's and mk2's are a doddle to copy from photos as there's next to no interior detail. There's not even a back to the gunners seat and a very minimal dash board just big enough for a couple of gauges, and a weapon mount. 90% of which is hidden once you've added crew figures.

« Last Edit: August 13, 2020, 09:22:27 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline Arcane Steve

• Assistant
« Reply #5 on: August 13, 2020, 11:31:33 AM »
Thank you all very much for the references and comments. The project is primarily to help improve my 'scratch building' skills and as the Beaverette looks fairly basic, I thought it would be a good place to start. I also have an interest as the RAF regiment used Beaverettes as air defence vehicles in Torquay during WW2. My family were very much involved (at the wrong end!) in the 'Rogation Raid' carried out by the Germans and as part of my research, I thought that a model of the Beaverette would help to illustrate my research, along with, of course a Bofors and Focke Wulf!

Thanks again, regards, Steve