Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:06:26 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689605
  • Total Topics: 118286
  • Online Today: 661
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online
Users: 6
Guests: 648
Total: 654

Recent

Author Topic: CoC - Western Front - Martlet Map 3 Game 6 report  (Read 127019 times)

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
CoC - Western Front - Martlet Map 3 Game 6 report
« on: August 20, 2020, 12:25:53 PM »
Having been introduced to Chain of Command briefly by HasBeen (see Angry Ivan thread), I find myself compelled to explore it further and cover an area of WW2 I have not done before, namely painting and collecting Waffen-SS.  I used to have a large Rapid Fire Normandy 20mm set of armies but sold it about 15 years ago.

A few of us, myself and Jamie, are looking to collect forces to enable us to fight in the Ardennes offensive, late 1944.

This will also mean a new playing mat....I have one in mind from Deepcut....and some new scenery.   The idea is to utilise trees etc I have from other ventures, but we will between us require a few buildings, entrenchment, mine fields etc so a little building fun to be had.

Chain of Command centres around a single platoon on infantry with a few support choices, so this will not be a large project...typically about 40-50 minis total and no more than half a dozen vehicle options.

I am not naming the Division...these will be generic troops.  I simply could not decide between them as to which Division appealed.   Answer is, none of them appeal...I don’t like what they stood for and I certainly find their respective atrocities despicable.  However, despite the later war years meaning troop qualities were declining, I can’t deny that many of them were damn good soldiers.  Mostly, I like the idea of painting camo schemes and making them a little more interesting!

I want to be able to use the Germans to play on the Eastern Front and other theatres and I’m not very keen on dressing them all in white mainly because I can’t paint white very well! Lol

As such, they will be in a mix of clothing, smocks, Parker’s and great coats,, with a few attempts at various camo schemes and one or two with white smocks.  There may be tiny amounts of ice/snow on a few bases but the idea is to base and paint them say as per the opening few days of the engagement, before the snow hit hard.  Not as it would seem that many of the Germans were issued with adequate snow camo gear anyway!

Believe it or not, we actually started reading official  after battle weather reports last night!

The Deepcut Northland mat seems useful, not completely snow covered, but looks bloody cold!  I will get one ordered.

At this stage, I have just been ordering a few figures.

With so few minis required, I would have liked to think I could cover them all uniquely, but as I’ve found, not quite so easy!

I really like the Warlord SS winter chaps....but there are only ten in the box.  Ok....so I also bought a box of their winter panzer grenadiers...as mixing the two together makes perfect sense.   But, with each box having ten figures, a section or squads worth, unfortunately, they each contain only one LMG team.  Standard practice for a squad seems to have been two teams per squad.   Bummer!

Scouring the net, I see a few size comparisons between manufacturers including those of Offensive miniatures.  They looked fine in the little pictures...but I think someone has been very selective with their choice of minis for the shots!  A box with a single squad in arrived and they each weigh about half the weight of a Warlord mini!

Needs must so for now I will use the LMG team despite them not being quite so heroically sized.  I have ordered a pair of Artizan teams in winter gear and I did this small conversion on a casualty cameo piece from Warlord to represent another team.  I will also try and convert a plastic great coat team from the few bits I have from the WI freebie...and I’ve just realised I can make another team from the STuG riders set....starting to come together!

Anyway....I will get all the minis I have for now based and primed then have a crack at painting the first few.  Should be fun.....

Edit:  Also decided to do Normandy!

« Last Edit: February 18, 2024, 11:24:04 AM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Waffen-SS Panzer Grenadiers for Chain of Command
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2020, 02:18:34 PM »
And to really get me in the mood, an American P51 mustang has just flown over my house......I’ve seen him a few times but he was lovely and loud today!

Surely a sign.....

......probably that I’m gonna get my back side handed to me....... lol
« Last Edit: August 20, 2020, 02:41:34 PM by Digits »

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2020, 03:47:13 PM »
Good job on the casualty set,nice choice of game mat too! 8)

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 21, 2020, 12:53:42 AM »
 :o That conversion is a great idea Digits. It looks fantastic and I'm curious as to what is to come. 
If you fancy some good looks at camo I can recommend these books:

https://www.amazon.de/Waffen-SS-Uniforms-Color-Photographs-Militaria/dp/1861264593/ref=sr_1_4?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=uniforms+waffen+ss&qid=1597967359&sr=8-4

https://www.amazon.de/Camouflaged-Uniforms-Waffen-S-S-Part/dp/B00TU6QK7M/ref=sr_1_67?__mk_de_DE=%C3%85M%C3%85%C5%BD%C3%95%C3%91&dchild=1&keywords=uniforms+waffen+ss&qid=1597967389&sr=8-67

There's quite a few others in that series as well! Though in either case, if you want to paint interesting camo, the Waffen SS and by extension the italian teleo memetico and some Heer patterns are quite a challenge but a looker on the tabletop.  :D
"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 21, 2020, 09:21:50 AM »
Cheers for the comments and the book links guys.

Yup, a bit worried about the camo, but there are plenty of video tutorials etc about, I need to zero in on a few....

Meanwhile, I think I will have a go at green stuffing smocks over the greatcoats of a few plastics....if successful, I will pop them up!
« Last Edit: August 21, 2020, 09:27:47 AM by Digits »

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: August 21, 2020, 12:56:44 PM »
My first attempt!  Going to have a go at the LMG team next....

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 21, 2020, 01:26:39 PM »
Gs smocks look ace! :)

Offline aphillathehun

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 21, 2020, 03:03:35 PM »

Empress Miniatures, just sayin'....

https://www.empressminiatures.com/german-27-c.asp

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #8 on: August 21, 2020, 03:41:05 PM »
Yup, I was looking at their mg teams and may well order a set, they do look good.   I’m just wary on scale now I had the dodgy experience with the Offensive minis.

Warlord are that bit more heroic in size.

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: August 21, 2020, 06:21:42 PM »
And you dare to say you don't produce much!!!!!!
Looking good. Let me know if you want some scenery doing.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #10 on: August 21, 2020, 07:35:31 PM »
Be careful....I may take you up on it!

A bit more progress.  The mg team is work in progress....I still need to smock the loader.

It does bulk these guys out...but what do you expect?  They are wearing a great coat over their tunic, and now a smock over the coat!  Must be damned cold!

I’m only making a small number of these guys....I only had one sprue and I don’t need too many. 

Offline Romark

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: August 21, 2020, 09:15:03 PM »
They look good👍

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #12 on: August 21, 2020, 10:43:25 PM »
They do look great! I love the stuff they lug about as well! Warlord kits are great for that, to give a unit a sort of rugged and scavenger feel. After all they did pick up what they could.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #13 on: August 21, 2020, 11:30:08 PM »
Yup, there’s a few nice bits on the sprue.  I need to look for a sprue of regular Heer grenadiers I  think too....I’m surprised there is no belt for the MG42.  I have converted a lot of gw imperial guard in the past, and the secret was always to plaster them in clutter......adds a professional touch I just couldn’t manage with gs alone.

Could also convert a few of those Grenadier minis too with a smock, we’ll see.
« Last Edit: August 22, 2020, 09:37:09 AM by Digits »

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #14 on: August 22, 2020, 12:01:29 AM »
Hrm, might need two frames of them, I think the Winter Infantry is a bit bulkier than the Heer and Fallschirmjäger blokes. At least I think so, I'll check tomorrow!