Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 07:57:04 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689725
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: What makes Cthulhu popular?  (Read 8118 times)

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
  • Can't paint but dreams...
Re: What makes Cthulhu popular?
« Reply #30 on: August 30, 2020, 05:09:13 PM »
As for the place of racism, which is only one aspect of him as a misanthrope, as mentioned above the context of 100 years ago cannot be forgotten/ignored. (Even shows from the 1970s and 80s like Fawlty Towers or the Sweeny are now worse than shocking). The place of anyone who is not white and a man has been (and still is) a massive problem in all art forms and wider society as a whole is many cultures... the place of the other, frontiers and alienation all depends on time, context etc...

While there are those that might not like Lovecraft or his writings (he didn't much like them either) his importance cannot be underestimated... but as with many, many "artists" he had many flaws

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: August 30, 2020, 05:11:50 PM »
Why is it popular? Reading the stories leaves a mark on your psyche. I'm an atheist, but of all of the worlds mythologies, this is strangely the most believable. Sweet dreams Azathoth.

This is a key part of it, the books make you ask yourself questions about what you believe and how you ttreat others. An of course the reader projects his/her views on to the story and this is what maintaons the interest of thought provoking tales.

Plus the 1920s are Kooool

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: August 30, 2020, 05:14:09 PM »
Best story, maybe Innsmouth or Dunwich but the short ones are good too - Music of Eric Zahn etc. Mountains is good as well, as is Dreams in the Witch House.

Have a listen here:
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b007jzmv

and if you can track it down
https://www.bbc.co.uk/programmes/b015flq5

Oh yes and the Whisperer in the Darkness

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: September 10, 2020, 04:20:11 AM »
I dont think Ive ever read anything by Lovecraft, thus where to start for a beginner? I really dont know much but if it is this popular, then I wouldnt mind poking around some more.

Also, maybe a good set of rules which can be played solo for this genre?

I recommend Pulp Alley rules with the solo card deck and the horror card deck. It seems designed for this type of supernatural horror. Characters can be given investigative skills rather than combat skills if desired.  I believe the author, Dave Phipps, has produced at least one scenario set in the Mythos, and he intends to produce more. He has a lot of videos on YouTube, including some on using the solo and horror card decks. Don't need a lot of figures or space for the system.

I read some Lovecraft many years ago. The writing was terrible. Call of Cthulhu wasn't too bad. Mountains of Madness was tedious in the extreme. Colour Out of Space was my favorite. The one thing I liked best about this dreck was that the alien entities had no sympathy for humans at all, if they even noticed humans in any way. They had their own agendas and humans were basically irrelevant. It was the opposite of Star Trek, in which the various captains of whichever generation of the Enterprise find some way to reason with or divert some alien menace. Lovecraft's aliens cannot be reasoned with in any way. That did produce a sense of horror.
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Paint it Pink

• Lurker
« Reply #34 on: September 14, 2020, 08:30:19 PM »
Hey, late to the party, and my first post. Been tied up doing other stuff.

Lovecraft is a divisive author. I love his work, others can't get past his mores, which were odd even by the standards of the day.

Both of Lovecraft's parents died while confined in a psychiatric hospital, and as a child he had chorea minor, and later what appears to have been atypical depression. He also died at age 46; health outcomes back then were poor, and today we know that both genetics and the environment can affect how people grow up to become who they are.

None of which forgives his bigotry.

However, labeling past authors as racists and bigots, suppressing their work, is the first step of turning people into 'things.' Real diversity means tolerating ideas antithetical to your own; arguing against them not with emotional outbursts, but reason.

So, to deny his contribution to SF&F for being a bad person is just plain wrong.

Lovecraft created a modern tradition of cosmic horror rooted in existential nihilism. He explored the delusions of living in an anthropomorphic universe, and addressed mankind's insignificance in the greater scheme of things.

This alone is an argument that Lovecraft's influence transcends his feet of clay. That and the fact that he is still being discussed till this day, inspiring writers to create cosmic horror, says it all. 

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #35 on: September 15, 2020, 04:24:20 AM »
Lovecraft is a divisive author. I love his work, others can't get past his mores, which were odd even by the standards of the day. None of which forgives his bigotry.

However, labeling past authors as racists and bigots, suppressing their work, is the first step of turning people into 'things.' Real diversity means tolerating ideas antithetical to your own; arguing against them not with emotional outbursts, but reason.

So, to deny his contribution to SF&F for being a bad person is just plain wrong.

Lovecraft created a modern tradition of cosmic horror rooted in existential nihilism. He explored the delusions of living in an anthropomorphic universe, and addressed mankind's insignificance in the greater scheme of things.

This alone is an argument that Lovecraft's influence transcends his feet of clay. That and the fact that he is still being discussed till this day, inspiring writers to create cosmic horror, says it all.

I agree.  His faults as a person should not eliminate his work as valueless.  The language is different than what we expect now but not that hard to read in my opinion.  Granted I first read LPH (Robert Howard, Bierce, Mencken, Poe...) when I was young and very forgiving but dismissing their work as others have done it better or with more readily accessible prose is missing the point - they did it then.  I have enjoyed all of his writings as well as the mythos work by Derleth and Clark Ashton Smith.  I have not yet worked my way through all his letters but the volumes collected and annotated by S.T. Joshi capture HPL and his correspondents view as well as the society at the time.
2024: B: 0; P: 148; 2023: B:77; P:37;

Offline Chimpfoot

• Mad Scientist
  • Life is a daring adventure or nothing at all
    • chimpfoots tavern
« Reply #36 on: September 15, 2020, 07:22:24 AM »
Paint it pink : a level headed argument if ever I heard one, quite rare in these hysterical times but very welcome.
I've got my own copies that won't be going in the memory hole  :)
chimpfoots-tavern.blogspot.com

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: September 15, 2020, 09:11:38 AM »
Whilst I quite enjoy some of the stories I wouldnt count myself as a massive fan, but much like with Conan I thoroughly enjoy things that have taken the source material and expanded it. With Lovecraft there is the Call of Cthulhu rpg (and its spin offs taking the mythos into the Roman era and dark age Britain among others, which are great fun) and also some really.good board games. Im a big fan of the new edition of Arkham Horror by FFG, which is also a very good solo game.  https://www.fantasyflightgames.com/en/news/2018/8/1/arkham-horror-third-edition/

Offline Tibson

• Bookworm
« Reply #38 on: September 24, 2020, 04:39:37 AM »
I've enjoyed this thoughtful discussion.  Acknowledge the impact and legacy of the writer without glorifying his views.  Use his legacy as a means to teach.  Eliminating his name from the award was completely appropriate.

If only the roots of our American Civil War could be discussed similarly, we would probably be in a better place.

Offline thebinmann

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #39 on: September 24, 2020, 06:42:46 AM »
If only the roots of our American Civil War could be discussed similarly, we would probably be in a better place.

That will take a very long time

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #40 on: September 25, 2020, 06:39:54 PM »
Also gives a shout out to one of the really good modern books, The Ballad of Black Tom.

Picked this up from Audible and both my wife and I have greatly enjoyed it so far. This was a good recommendation!

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #41 on: December 09, 2020, 04:50:36 PM »
A lot of very interesting answers but it doesn't really address the question of why is this Cthulhu business sweeping across the hobby?  It seems every monster or demon sculpted for almost any type of range has to have tentacles or tentacles dangling from its mouth. Additionally, you cant swing a dead cat without hitting a fishfolk or "hybrid".  I cant help but think something fishy is going on.

Why is Cthulhu suddenly so persuasive? 

Offline syrinx0

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #42 on: December 09, 2020, 05:00:53 PM »
Perhaps because in our current world Cosmic horror qualifies as an escape?  His writings much like Burroughs, take an ordinary man and move him past the veil of normal to see and experience things others miss.  That doesn't work out well for HPL's protagonists but I think it still resonates with a reader sometimes wanting to be something other than ordinary.

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #43 on: December 09, 2020, 07:43:39 PM »

More fun-loving than zombies perhaps?

Offline Pijlie

• Mastermind
    • Pijlie's blog
« Reply #44 on: December 10, 2020, 05:39:39 AM »
A lot of very interesting answers but it doesn't really address the question of why is this Cthulhu business sweeping across the hobby?  It seems every monster or demon sculpted for almost any type of range has to have tentacles or tentacles dangling from its mouth. Additionally, you cant swing a dead cat without hitting a fishfolk or "hybrid".  I cant help but think something fishy is going on.

The Stars Are Right at the moment.  8)
I wish I were a glowworm
'cause glowworms 're never glum
How can you be grumpy
When the sun shines out yer bum?

http://pijlieblog.blogspot.nl/