Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 10:50:05 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690758
  • Total Topics: 118348
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Not Back to gaming/Still Shielding Thread/Sound Off :>)  (Read 1750 times)

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
Re: Not Back to gaming/Still Shielding Thread/Sound Off :>)
« Reply #15 on: August 26, 2020, 08:33:37 PM »
Atheling I’m sorry to hear that, we are currently in a very unusual situation (but one I was taught during my zoology degree was going to happen any time now - and that was 20yrs ago) and I not sure anything we can say can help but you’re not alone.

SKIP THIS IF YOU WANT IT’S MEDICAL and DEPRESSING (double whammy)

I have an existing viral condition from when as a 4yr old I went off the side of a helter skelter, ripped my throat open and fell 25-30ft. Unfortunately/fortunately I landed in the sand underneath and being young and bendy was relatively ok. In the sand was a virus sometimes carried in cat urine (Afflicts approx 1 in 2M people with a low (>1%) survival rate generally) and thus I’ve spent the last 36yrs battling it. Now you know why they stopped using sand in playgrounds. Doctors are baffled/amazed at me and ultimately I’m very lucky as my immune system is abnormally effective.
One of the side effects of high viral loading can be viral exhaustion or viral fatigue. It worries me that those that suffer and recover from COVID will develop this and it can be devastating to trying to lead a normal life. I managed to push myself until about 8-10yrs ago my wife and doctor made me retire in my early 30’s as my condition worsened (and I didn’t have youth and vigour to rely on anymore). Until this point I was a keen martial artist, surfer, climber and skater and was working as an arboriculturist (Tree surgeon) doing difficult and dangerous stuff no-one else wanted to :) . I pushed myself to work as hard as I could, for as long as I could, as I knew I’d have to stop eventually. It was very hard but I am determined.

MEDICAL MISERY OVER

Now my normal (hah) life isn’t that different to what most people are currently experiencing. If I was lucky I would feel up to going to club once a week (Which would be a struggle and leave me exhausted for at least the next day) but that was about it. I won’t really be able to go out until either the virus burns itself out or a vaccine is developed.

Luckily I have always loved gaming and miniatures and they have got me through a lot in the past (that and a dark sense of humour). I joined LAF (although I’d browsed it for years) when lockdown started and it has helped keep me motivated and positive. My condition is very variable (even over the course of a day) and sometimes I can’t achieve anything towards my hobby but having this forum, and the excellent members to chat to, means that at least I can live vicariously through others. My biggest problem at the moment is that I don’t have a PC to do remote gaming with and can’t realistically afford one.

To everyone here: stay safe and well, look after your loved ones and don’t panic,

BALM
Andrew
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline fred

• Galactic Brain
    • Miniature Gaming
Re: Not Back to gaming/Still Shielding Thread/Sound Off :>)
« Reply #16 on: August 26, 2020, 10:49:45 PM »
@Atheling sounds like you have had it tough, glad you seem in a better place now. I can’t really imagine what it has been one for people living on their own and having to shield.