Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 10:57:58 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690627
  • Total Topics: 118340
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Matt varnish for wargames miniatures  (Read 5335 times)

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
Matt varnish for wargames miniatures
« on: August 26, 2020, 10:23:36 AM »
Hi All

To-date I have used Testors Dullcote from a bottle (I don’t have facilities for spraying). I am down to my last bottle, and, so far, unable to find a UK source for resupply.

So … I am considering alternatives. What are your recommendations?

Cheers
JJ

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
Re: Matt varnish for wargames miniatures
« Reply #1 on: August 26, 2020, 10:25:04 AM »
Winsor and Newton Galeria matt varnish is my go to now.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #2 on: August 26, 2020, 10:34:04 AM »
Windsor and Newton Professional Artists Matt Spray.

I've been painting for a very long time to a high standard and this is the best I have ever used.

Recent example:

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #3 on: August 26, 2020, 10:46:42 AM »
« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 11:14:07 AM by Jack Jones »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #4 on: August 26, 2020, 11:07:08 AM »
Thank you!

As I mentioned, I don’t have facilities for spraying, but I adept at getting a smooth finish with a brush. So … which are the brush-on equivalents?

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winsor-Newton-125ml-Acrylic-Varnish/dp/B0060KRKB6/ref=sr_1_7?dchild=1&keywords=winsor+and+newton+matt+varnish&qid=1598435112&sr=8-7

https://www.amazon.co.uk/Winsor-Newton-Galeria-Matt-Varnish/dp/B002AF6QTC/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=winsor+and+newton+varnish&qid=1598434902&sr=8-3

… or something else?

Cheers
JJ

Sorry JJ. I misread the thread.

I would suggest going with James suggestion above of Winsor and Newton Galeria matt varnish. I've used it before but only over a satin coat (to protect the mini's). It worked very well but not as good as the Professional Spray.

BTW, if you don't have the facilities for spraying and have a reasonably dry garage you could just set it up in there? Or buy a N95 particulate filtering respirator which is what I use but they are getting pricey for obvious reasons.

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2020, 11:17:23 AM »
I do have a garage, but it does not have an electricity supply, so lighting and extraction would be a problem.

Thanks for the advice.

I have always been impressed with the flatness of Testors … so … what is the visual difference between the spray and the galleria matt?

Cheers
JJ

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2020, 12:58:16 PM »
what is the visual difference between the spray and the galleria matt?

The brush of W&N Galleria is better then Testors IMHO.

I ought to add to this, if you can get hold of the old formula Testors (in the black cans) rather than the new formula the use that. On a scale of one to ten the old formula was a nice and the new a five. Oh, the old Testors was proven to contain carcinogens (EU regs) so you should wear a PN95 respirator if you use it. Luckily, I have always done this as I have residual lung damage from pneumonia when I was very young and didn't want to take any chances from day one. It wasn't until Testors were forced to change their formula that I found out about the dangers.

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2020, 01:46:31 PM »
I do have a black label aerosol actually, but I have never used it, and probably wont. I have that and one jar of Dullcote.

The important thing is consistency for my new Sudan project, so I will give the W&N a go and keep the Testors for the last of my Romans (which are all varnished in Dullcote).

Thanks for the advice – very much appreciated.

JJ

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #8 on: August 26, 2020, 02:07:56 PM »
I do have a black label aerosol actually, but I have never used it, and probably wont. I have that and one jar of Dullcote.

The important thing is consistency for my new Sudan project, so I will give the W&N a go and keep the Testors for the last of my Romans (which are all varnished in Dullcote).

Yeah, you're on the right track if you're looking for consistency; choose one and stick with it.

Thanks for the advice – very much appreciated.

No probs. Happy to help. :)

« Last Edit: August 26, 2020, 02:09:31 PM by Atheling »

Offline armchairgeneral

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
« Reply #9 on: August 26, 2020, 06:18:09 PM »
I am finding this gives good Matt finish if applied thinly with a brush. From my local Warhammer shop.

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: August 26, 2020, 07:15:56 PM »
I was a great fan for a long time of the Galleria varnish, but found the finish was becoming inconsistent. Too often I was getting a satin finish.

I agree the Winsor & Newton spray varnish is excellent and gives a truly matt finish. However, my go to varnish these days is Winsor & Newton Artist Matt varnish. It is for oil painting and you have to clean your brush in white spirit, but is is by far the best varnish I have used. Easily matches the spray varnish for Matt finish and has the added bonus of smoothing out the paint job to give an almost blended effect.

I just slap it on, is touch dry in about an hour, but is best left 24 hours to cure. If you don’t like dealing with white sprits there is a water based version. Not quite as good, but very close.

Available from most decent art suppliers, but I buy mine from Amazon https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B005XZBT98/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o09_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

Pat

Offline Jack Jones

• Scientist
    • Sands of Soudan
« Reply #11 on: August 26, 2020, 07:40:13 PM »
Thank you for the additional advice.

I have the W&N Galeria matt varnish on order now, so will see how I get on with it.

Cheers
JJ

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #12 on: August 26, 2020, 09:52:08 PM »
I was a great fan for a long time of the Galleria varnish, but found the finish was becoming inconsistent. Too often I was getting a satin finish.

I agree the Winsor & Newton spray varnish is excellent and gives a truly matt finish. However, my go to varnish these days is Winsor & Newton Artist Matt varnish. It is for oil painting and you have to clean your brush in white spirit, but is is by far the best varnish I have used.

I used W&N Artists Matt spray at Art College and never had a problem with any of my oils. It is actually manufactured for varnishing oil paintings.

Offline theoldschool

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 26, 2020, 10:45:57 PM »
I used W&N Artists Matt spray at Art College and never had a problem with any of my oils. It is actually manufactured for varnishing oil paintings.

I was just making it clear that the stuff in the bottle is designed for oils and has to be cleaned off the brush with white spirits. I know the spray is also for oils, I never suggested otherwise or that there was a problem.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #14 on: August 26, 2020, 11:44:54 PM »
Interesting. Thanks Pat. I shall give it a try  :)