Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 01:31:26 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Taiping Rebellion and the Opium Wars  (Read 3426 times)

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
Taiping Rebellion and the Opium Wars
« on: August 28, 2020, 10:17:30 AM »
I've been playing as few games in 19th century China during lockdown. The moat recent was a refight of the Battle of Palikao in 1860, with French and British fighting the might of the Qing Empre: https://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.com/2020/08/taiping-era-goes-to-palikao.html.  Alas I had to play this one solo.

Previously I had a go with the Ever Victorious Army attacking a Taiping stronghold [url]https://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.com/2020/08/taiping-town-test.html[url], which took advantage of the fine weather in early August to get a game in outdoors, with real people.

This followed up on a similar arrangement in July, when we did a straight Taiping v Imps battle [url]https://wargaming4grownups.blogspot.com/2020/07/the-summer-wargamezebo-part-1.html[url].

It's a strange little period, not that well known despite there being a Flashman novel set in 1860. There are some ranges available to play it, in both 15mm and 28mm. It seems to be one that's a bit uncomfortable for people, despite the otherwise popularity of Colonial Era games.

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: Taiping Rebellion and the Opium Wars
« Reply #1 on: August 28, 2020, 10:13:54 PM »
We game it in 28mm,,Using Foundry mostly .,chinese are from many manufactors..since the 80;s.Probably once every two years.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 11:21:06 PM »
Yes, I like to game the Tai Ping/Opium Wars too.  Good to see the reports in the OP.

I think it's less well known despite being a huge conflict.  No epic Hollywood film unlike some other colonial wars. There's certainly enough there to satisfy any gamer.

Offline Sparrow

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 07:55:53 AM »
Brilliant stuff. The more I read about C19th China, the more fascinating it becomes.
Put your trust in God and keep your powder dry!

Offline jambo1

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 08:55:53 AM »
Not an area I know much about, very interesting seeing your game and it looked really good. Certainly a topic I would like to see more of. :)

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 10:09:07 AM »
@juergen c.olk: The Foundry figures are nice, but as you note, the range is strangely light in the area of the Chinese and the Taipings (which is odd, seeing as they published Ian Heath's excellent book on the subject). Good to hear there are other manufacturers that you can bulk them out with. I went with 15mm as I wanted to wargame more epic encounters in the space I have.

@OB: The Chinese made a film in the 1980s, called "The Burning of the Summer Palace". The Battle of Palikao features, and is toe curlingly terrible from the accuracy point of view. The charge of the Mongol/Manchu cavalry is well represented, but otherwise....it takes place on a clear open plain, not in an area with woods and villages. The French troops who do all the firing are armed with breach loaders. The ditch they shelter behind is an earth wall. None of them form squares. The artillery are quick firing 35mm with gun shields (I think). The Europeans have flags littered about like Chinese armies of the period. The French commander is played by a Chinese in skin lightening makeup and a red wig and beard. He's also wearing an oriental helmet. It's good for a laugh if you can find it.

@Sparrow & @jambo1: I can thoroughly recommend the period. It has everything going for it. I'd also stick in a plug for my rules/intro guide "Taiping Era", which you can find on Amazon or Wargame Vault, for a very reasonable £14.99 (100 pages, colour) which gives you enough to enable you to get started, and am essential bibliography (including books that are free to download) to help you on your way.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: August 29, 2020, 11:44:05 AM »
Thanks for the film tip Trebian.  I think I've seen clips from another Chinese film too that one concentrates on Imperials and  the Tai Ping.  I've no idea what it is called.  I'd say it is a more recent offering.

I've ordered a copy of your Tai Ping Era too and I'm looking forward to receiving it.  I'll do a review on my blog for those interested in the period.

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: August 29, 2020, 11:57:25 AM »
@OB: I hope you like them. I know it's been a long train coming, and your enthusiasm for the period has played no small part in pushing them to the top of my list of rules to publish. Looking at the sales report from Amazon it seems to me that they've been sitting on the orders and then processing them all at once, at least in Europe. My fingers are crossed and i'm a bit nervous about what you're likely to say.

Offline OB

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: August 29, 2020, 07:57:04 PM »
Thanks for the info' and the kind words Trebian. 

Everyone who produces original work frets about how it will be received it's almost part of the process.  Unavoidable I suppose.  Anyhow, judging from your previous projects I'd think you have little to worry about.

I keenly await my copy of Taiping Era.

Offline zebcook

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 03:15:27 AM »
Highly recommend "Autumn in the Heavenly Kingdom" for a good general history of the Taiping Rebellion.

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 09:03:00 AM »
@zebcook: Yes, that book is excellent. It's included in the bibliography in "Taiping Era". I like to give my sources.

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 12:00:56 PM »
I have ordered your ruleset too as I'm not very satisfied with the rules I use for the Taiping rebellion  :)
"The enemy? His sense of duty was no less than yours, I deem. You wonder what his name is, where he came from. And if he was really evil at heart. What lies or threats led him on this long march from home. If he would not rather have stayed there ... in peace. War will make corpses of us all."

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 12:07:34 PM »
@Siaba: Thanks Hopefully you will not be too disappointed with these!

Offline Siaba

• Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 30, 2020, 12:57:11 PM »
Well, I followed the battle reports on your blog first. It's nice to have a ruleset written by someone who know well the period and the chances way of fighting. I think I won't be disappointed  ;)

Offline Trebian

• Bookworm
« Reply #14 on: August 30, 2020, 01:51:07 PM »
I can promise you that you'll find them....different.