Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 27, 2024, 03:53:11 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690826
  • Total Topics: 118354
  • Online Today: 861
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Got a batch of new players! Need some advice.  (Read 2551 times)

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
Got a batch of new players! Need some advice.
« on: August 29, 2020, 02:24:19 PM »
Hi all,

I’ve got a new crop of sci-fi war gamers. About 8-10 teenage boys (and one girl) who have actively been playing for about 2-3 months. I’d like to get each of them a small squad of 5 that they can paint and keep.

I’m on a tight budget and I’m exploring all my options. EM4 probably has some of the best budget plastic miniatures but they seem out of stock on some items.

What are you best sources for budget miniatures?

Thanks in advance!

Offline hubbabubba

• Mastermind
Re: Got a batch of new players! Need some advice.
« Reply #1 on: August 29, 2020, 02:41:58 PM »
Have  a look at Mantic's plastics, fairly cheap and cheerful.

Offline Mr Tough Guy

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: August 29, 2020, 04:39:01 PM »
I don't think there's much that is as dirt cheap as the em4 plastics.

but have a look at maelstrom's edge, they have a few plastic trooper kits that are 6 troopers for $13, especially the broken infantry sprue gives you lots of options.

CP models has a nice range of metal 28mm minis for about £2-£2.50 each

wargames atlantic have a few sci-fi trooper kits, not much variety yet but 24 troopers for £25

Offline has.been

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: August 29, 2020, 04:51:39 PM »
E-bay ?
Even historical figures can be (easily) converted.
Star Wars is medieval monks with bits stuck on.

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 05:14:09 PM »
Look for your local buy and sell groups or websites. People are always selling old GW minis.

Also ask around at your local clubs. If this is to get new gamers into the hobby there are lots of people who might want to donate

Offline Dentatus

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Stalker7.com
« Reply #5 on: August 29, 2020, 05:34:39 PM »
Maelstrom's Edge was my first thought. The Terminator Game Resistance Fighters pop up on eBay, then there's Mantic Deadzone figs or Reaper Bones Chronoscope.
Where do you live? US? UK?
Try contacting a company to see if they won't sell/donate some figs for a good cause.
Heck, the members here could probably dig up sprues/partial sets from our bitz box/unfinished projects and scrape up more than enough figs to cover what you need. 

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #6 on: August 30, 2020, 12:44:11 AM »
Depends just how tight your budget is and what sort of game you're after.

Considering GW seems to be the entry level for most young gamers, I'd probably look at trying to grab some of the various push fit sets GW has done lately.

Lot ebay buys for Chaos cultists like this would probably be a good start. You could then expand it with things like the Chaos Cultists from the newer Blackstone Fortress expansion, and even the Traitor Guardsmen? They're all lovely minis but simple, and would be a good place to start learning how to paint.

I'm looking at a small scale sci-fi skirmish project based on some of the Necromunda plastics, but this is possibly a step up in complexity and cost to what you're after.

Stepping outside GW, the Maelstrom's Edge would be a good place to start. The Broken faction has a varied plastic base kit which can be chopped and changed for some interesting characters. Pick up a sprue of two of the Epirian Contractors, SecDef Infantry and Karist Troopers and you'll have a fantastic array of parts to make some interesting crews. Think Rogue Stars ;)

If you're willing to go metal, the EM4 Future Skirmish is relatively cheap and full of characterful sculpts. Considering they're Copplestone jobs, you could expand them with bits from his own [Future Wars range.

The other option is to check out Ground Zero Games and their 25mm Stargrunt line.. There's some cracking sculpts in the range and they're at a similar price point to the Copplestone/EM4 minis. All single pose too, so no issues with assembly for young kids.

With news leaking that Stargrave is on the horizon, I suspect there will be a plastic Northstar kit akin to the Frostgrave Soldiers kit if you were willing to wait? In the meantime you could keep them entertained with some mix and match fantasy using the Frostrgrave plastics?

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2020, 01:47:17 AM »
Bahir,

Sound as like an excellent plan to keep getting more little’uns into the hobby. What sort of time frame are you looking at and where are you? I should be able to dig some suitable bits out of my lead mountain (I’d imagine most LAF’ers could, if they were honest with themselves, spare a couple of minis for such a worthwhile cause), is it just Sci-fi and presumably 28mm? Plastic, Metal, put together or as new? I’ll excavate part of the rich vein of my shame marked for sale tomorrow and see if I can come up with anything useful.

BALM
« Last Edit: August 30, 2020, 02:23:32 AM by BeneathALeadMountain »
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: August 30, 2020, 11:19:47 AM »
Hi Blam,

Thank you for your very kind and generous offer.

There is no time frame per se, because they are currently using my minis. It would be a surprise gift to the teens. We could create a date and then gift the miniatures to the teens and game night.

Yes, it’s 25-28mm sci-fi. We use the No Limits Rules so miniatures from
any manufacturer would work.

If anyone is willing to donate miniatures I would happy to post pics of the teens receiving them. I can also try to help with postage. FYI I live in Austria.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: August 30, 2020, 08:52:56 PM »
With news leaking that Stargrave is on the horizon, I suspect there will be a plastic Northstar kit akin to the Frostgrave Soldiers kit if you were willing to wait?

Apologies for the tangent, but where did this leak from? Any other news on it? I was completely unaware.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #10 on: August 30, 2020, 09:49:45 PM »
Apologies for the tangent, but where did this leak from? Any other news on it? I was completely unaware.

It's been spotted on the advance pre-order for April 2021 at a number of suppliers, and confirmed by the author on the Frostgrave FB group.

There's some baseless speculation available here.

Offline The_Beast

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
  • As my grandchildren see me...
« Reply #11 on: August 30, 2020, 10:52:56 PM »
You might have a look at some old 'cliccies'. Old Heroclix have some things like older Skrull for gun-toting alies, and Sheild operatives for humans.

Even old Mage Knight, in spite of being 'fantasy,' has some figs that might be useful, as well.

Doug

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: August 30, 2020, 11:01:19 PM »
Hi,

Which mini range (ranges) are they already using from your collection?

Don't seem to have seen mentioned Wargame Atlantics Death Field Range they've 2 box sets with more on the way. 1 is space french with options from a Napoleonic look to a Foreign Legion or WW1 feel, and Space WW2 German Stormtroopers.

Also Gates of Antares have some plastic figure boxes, some of which include drones on the sprues with the figures too for a few extra freebies.

GW do some rank and file boxes for £5 - £10, altough they can range in numbers from only 3 in a box to 5 so check that carefully, number of models in a box usually shows on the front.

Getting as many as 8 - 10 new gamers and with a mix of genders of school age is great to hear for the hobby and for them. Think of the happy times there going to have to think back on, at least those who stick with it.

I've moved house shortly before pandemic lockdowns so not fully set up to fish out any spares at the moment.

Please let us know how this gaming group and hobby fun goes.

Offline Commander Roj

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #13 on: August 31, 2020, 04:51:39 AM »
It's been spotted on the advance pre-order for April 2021 at a number of suppliers, and confirmed by the author on the Frostgrave FB group.

There's some baseless speculation available here.

Thanks Splod. I look forward to it.

Offline Bahir

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: August 31, 2020, 07:27:21 PM »
Hi,

Which mini range (ranges) are they already using from your collection?

Hi AdmrilAndy,

My collection is quite eclectic. We have been using miniatures from Mantic, Games Workshop, Reaper, Hasselfree, Heresy, EM4, Colbalt, and a few others who’s names escape me at the moment.

Thanks for the great suggestions.

There use to be a company that sold a bag of 80 plastic miniatures. 40 of one army and 40 of another. I can’t recall the name of the company. Does that ring a bell with anyone and do you know if they still have that big bag deal?