Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 06:54:39 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 28MM American Football Figures  (Read 16630 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Re: 28MM American Football Figures
« Reply #15 on: August 23, 2009, 09:44:23 AM »
As usual, I'm late here, but you won't believe the size of the grin on my face seeing those Raider players. Three cheers for Mr Overlord's superb taste in football  :D

Sat here drinking tea from my Raiders mug.  8)

I've tried the "AR Orbison" rules, but they are very slow to play, due to the amount of detail in them. Very accurate, but no way you could play a full game. The "Gridiron Heroes" are much quicker to play and worth getting.
Although its a long time since I played either set, you are right about the "AR Orbison" rules.  They cover just about every eventuality but at the expense of playability.  Even as a huge fan I struggled with them.

I got the Gridiron rules off Ebay and now I'm on the hunt for those old heroes figures. If I can't find any then the Killer B sculptors may be getting a slightly different set of designs in the not too distant future. ;) 
I presume your copy has the address for Heroes Miniatures in the back?  If not PM me for it (Although it could be 20 years out of date).
I wouldnt wish to divert you from more Geezers (& associated projects) but a set of modern gridiron sculpts would be interesting.  Probably not a great seller in the UK/Europe but a potentially big market in the states.
2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
    • https://killerbgames.co.uk/
« Reply #16 on: August 23, 2009, 12:47:30 PM »
Yep, I've got the address thanks. I could do 1970's American footballers in keeping with geezers. 8)

I could do American footballers from various decades of history too like the leatherheads.Hmmmmmmmm.

"Morning!"

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #17 on: August 23, 2009, 03:45:25 PM »
I could do 1970's American footballers in keeping with geezers. 8)
Well, Kezar Stadium in San Francisco did feature in Dirty Harry.  8) 
(Home of the Raiders in 1960 too - Sorry, I'll go get my silver & black anorak....)

I could do American footballers from various decades of history too like the leatherheads.Hmmmmmmmm.
You could probably get away with one set of bodies (Not massive changes in outward appearance in the past few decades) & doing sets of seperate heads, as helmet design has changed a bit more.  Leatherheads might need a totally new set of bodies though.
« Last Edit: August 23, 2009, 03:51:19 PM by Overlord »

Offline Gluteus Maximus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #18 on: August 24, 2009, 08:50:11 AM »
Yep, I've got the address thanks. I could do 1970's American footballers in keeping with geezers. 8)

I'd be very interested in this. After all, you would only need 20 or so figures per team plus officials as a minimum to play a game, but obviously purists would need to fill out the full rosters, coaching staff, cheerleaders, kicker's practice nets, buckets of Gatorade etc  ::). Raiders fans would also need two Al Davis figures - one happy and smiling to represent the 60's to 80's version and one embittered and scowling for the last couple of decades  lol

It should be feasible for most football fans to achieve. It would definitely be a smallish market, although they could also be aimed at the collectors as well as gamers

Offline Captain Gamma

• Mad Scientist
    • https://killerbgames.co.uk/
« Reply #19 on: August 24, 2009, 01:28:01 PM »

It would definitely be a smallish market, although they could also be aimed at the collectors as well as gamers

When since has a small market stopped a small miniatures company? lol

Singletary,Perry,Mcmahon,Payton Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

And yes cheer leaders,refs,coaches benches gatoaid barrels. It would be great to revamp the Gridiron rules as well, just to give them a make over.With pages on team shirts and helmet designs.As well as more on the rules of the game.

Then put two teams, a heavy card pitch,balls,dice and rules in a boxed set. :-*

Offline keeper

• Mad Scientist
  • All your dice are belong to us
    • Prince Azalea's World of Wonders
« Reply #20 on: August 24, 2009, 01:38:15 PM »
Well, Kezar Stadium in San Francisco did feature in Dirty Harry.  8) 
(Home of the Raiders in 1960 too - Sorry, I'll go get my silver & black anorak....)

You'd need your gold & black anorak, Overlord! The raiders didn't change into silver and black until they hired Darth Sidious as their head coach in 1963 ;) Ah those were the days when he thought he was the best thing in football and it was still actually true ;)

When since has a small market stopped a small miniatures company? lol

Singletary,Perry,Mcmahon,Payton Hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

And yes cheer leaders,refs,coaches benches gatoaid barrels. It would be great to revamp the Gridiron rules as well, just to give them a make over.With pages on team shirts and helmet designs.As well as more on the rules of the game.

Stop it now! I'm just in a world of fantasy! :D

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
« Reply #21 on: August 24, 2009, 02:34:14 PM »
You'd need your gold & black anorak, Overlord! The raiders didn't change into silver and black until they hired Darth Sidious as their head coach in 1963 ;) Ah those were the days when he thought he was the best thing in football and it was still actually true ;)
Phew! At last, someone sadder than me lol

Not sure how NFL Properties might view that. :-I

Maybe call it something like "KillerBowl"  ;)  Any similarity to a game produced by a megacorporation from Lenton   >:D is purely co-incidental...

Offline revford

• Mastermind
« Reply #22 on: August 24, 2009, 09:00:58 PM »
Coaching staff, Cheerleaders and sideline props would certainly sell to the Bloodbowl/Elfball/Deathball players too.
Gav Ford
revford@gmail.com

Offline lookinthesky

• Lurker
« Reply #23 on: April 25, 2013, 10:02:31 PM »
Yeah, me too.  I even get to see my team play this year! :)

I love me some BloodBowl, but it would be good to see some proper american football figures, too.  Of course, if you wanted to re-create the discount Lingerie Bowl (yeah, not actually joking: link), Shawdowforge already do all the figures you'd need!

You are quite good and interesting and you did one of the most useful discussion.
« Last Edit: April 29, 2013, 03:33:02 PM by lookinthesky »

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: April 25, 2013, 10:26:44 PM »
Hi,

I'm a big fan of modern electricfootball (also called "miniature football"). This boardgame is played with 28-35mm miniatures (depanding of the brands). An international federation exists, called MFCA :

http://miniaturefootball.org/

I'm one of the few european members, and probably the only one french  :D

I also created a blog dedicated to table sports :

http://sportsurtable.blogspot.fr/

On it you'll see a lot of my own customized miniatures.

To explain a little, there is a few brands selling competition minis (not very detailed but very cheap). They are used for their shape and weight qualities, and the ability they have to move.

A few other brands are selling more detailled minis, the most expensive cost around 10usd each, and the level detail is similar to what we are used to see in "classic" miniatures gaming.

Personnaly, I prefer to use cheap minis, chop bits and resculpt details. It's fun, and really cheap. Especially when a team is at least 11players (iron man format) to 22 or more (d and O squads).

Here's some sculpting I did for a friend borthday present (I painted it as a NY giant rb) :

Here's some pics of classic miniatures I simply repainted (they are 99% stock, I just modified the faces a bit, and added facemasks) :

A few other customized minis (modified the positions, faces, and add "real" muscles) :

I take that :

And make a fig with some green stuff.

the finished fig :

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #25 on: April 25, 2013, 11:25:26 PM »
Nice work!  :-*

Too bad you didn't paint up the Packers!  ;)

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #26 on: April 26, 2013, 12:09:09 AM »
Would be great to see a small range of figures 25/28mm for football games.

Doesn't really matter which teams you field either.....Chargers are gonna win. :D

Offline sundayhero

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: April 26, 2013, 02:35:26 PM »
For now I painted Florida Gators, Michigan spartans, steelers (I'm a bit curious the fact the steelers I took photos doesn't have any visible helmet logo by the way ???), 49ers, and a few other college teams.

I'm currently thinking about creating my own teams. And I'm also thinking about creating my own miniature football figures range (for electric football and board games), instead of modding/customizing stock ones.