Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:22:00 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Dune 2020  (Read 6475 times)

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
Re: Dune 2020
« Reply #30 on: September 10, 2020, 02:28:12 PM »
I need to check out the SyFy series. It seems like it got good reviews.

Offline Malebolgia

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Lost in Cyberspace
    • Paintoholic
« Reply #31 on: September 11, 2020, 07:48:21 AM »
I need to check out the SyFy series. It seems like it got good reviews.

You can find it all on YouTube:
https://youtu.be/dZfX8FGlVMc
https://youtu.be/iRx-BVi0fls

Children of Dune is there too I believe (the series is called Children of Dune but is a combination of Messiah and Children IIRC)
“What use was time to those who'd soon achieve Digital Immortality?”

Offline Inso

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Often confused or misunderstood...
    • Inso's World
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2020, 08:18:36 PM »
I adored the original Dune film. The series was interesting and managed to get a bit of the original feel as well.

Looking at the trailer and having read a bit of background to the new film, I am looking forward to seeing how it turns out :) .

There are some extremely good cast members and it would seem that the film is a two-parter... the first part being upto Paul leading the revolt and if that film is successful, then the rest of the story, up to the defeat of the Emperor and Paul's acention into near god-hood.

... and Rabban looks the freaking business :) .

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2020, 08:30:47 PM »
Drax versus Khal Drogo....what’s not to like

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2020, 08:59:08 PM »
There are some extremely good cast members and it would seem that the film is a two-parter... the first part being upto Paul leading the revolt and if that film is successful, then the rest of the story, up to the defeat of the Emperor and Paul's acention into near god-hood.

That's interesting.
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: September 13, 2020, 01:27:44 AM »
I like the look they have given to the Harkonnen
Big names all around in that film. Really looking forward to it.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #36 on: September 13, 2020, 09:08:26 AM »
I think the Sardaukar need cool hats in the new movie... like these! One of my favorite bits of the TV series.

Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #37 on: September 17, 2020, 07:32:29 PM »
I'm a hard core Dune fan since the '70s.

Can I really be the only one here who thinks the Lynch adaptation was an utter abomination

I hated the Lynch film with a passion, because I loved the book. I've since calmed down a bit, I just don't think it had very much to do with Dune the book other than using the same characters and background. (If someone watched only the movie and was asked questions about Dune, spice, the Sardaukar, the Fremen, shields etc, then pretty much everything they answered would be different from the books.)

But then pretty much no movie of a book, rather than a novella, is faithful. And if the book has lots of interior monologue, then even attempting is futile.

Offline CookAndrewB

• Mastermind
    • 3d designs can be found at Thingiverse
« Reply #38 on: September 17, 2020, 09:31:48 PM »
Admittedly, it has been a while since I've read the book, and not all that long since I've watched the movie, but to me they are clearly related. Unlike a movie like the Natalie Portman Annihilation film, which bore very little resemblance to the book from the Southern Reach Trilogy, I don't think the Lynch movie is that far off once you make some allowances for interpretation and the need to make some of the nuanced political intrigue interesting enough to watch. Sure, it skips some things and glosses over some bits, but this is the way of movie adaptations of books. For instance, has anyone seen Tom Bombadil in the Lord of the Rings movie? No, because those giant works just have to cut something out and Peter Jackson's total trilogy, extended run time is 686 minutes. I love those books (the movies are ok) and that is tough to sit through.

Lynch's dune was 2 hours and 17 minutes for a 412 page book. Peter Jackson filmed 3 hours and 43 minutes for the Two Towers, which was 415 pages. Just doing the math here, but that is just going to leave a pretty high level view of the moving parts of the book. Probably could have cut out a few draggy minutes here and there when Paul is having his waking dreams, but what would you add back in on a 2-ish hour movie?

I guess I would be interested in hearing someone expound more about where the Lynch movie was wrong, and where there are opportunities to "set the record straight" in the new film?

Offline Mark Plant

• Mad Scientist
    • Pygmy Wars : Russian Civil War and Related Stuff
« Reply #39 on: September 18, 2020, 05:47:00 AM »
I guess I would be interested in hearing someone expound more about where the Lynch movie was wrong, and where there are opportunities to "set the record straight" in the new film?

Just personal opinions, and it is a while since I saw the movie, but

-- the Fremen are just some tribesmen lying around. Not a power about to be harnessed to conquer the galaxy. They are as central to the book as Paul, if not more so. He can only succeed thanks to them.

-- the Butlerian Jihad never happened. In the battlescene at the end when the Emperor's forces started firing away from gunports, I cringed.

-- the pace is wrong. Dune politics is a slow moving affair, where plans take decades and centuries to hatch.

-- Paul is not a tragic figure, but a one-dimensional hero.

I don't think any of those things can be fixed in a SF movie. Movies need central characters and can't sustain a plot over years and years. SF doesn't deal in swords and sandals, and likes its heroes pretty simple.

The best Dune movie ever made was Lawrence of Arabia.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #40 on: September 18, 2020, 07:00:40 AM »
Lynch's dune was 2 hours and 17 minutes for a 412 page book. Peter Jackson filmed 3 hours and 43 minutes for the Two Towers, which was 415 pages. Just doing the math here, but that is just going to leave a pretty high level view of the moving parts of the book. Probably could have cut out a few draggy minutes here and there when Paul is having his waking dreams, but what would you add back in on a 2-ish hour movie?
You talk about the Lynch Cut for Cinema. Later he showed a 177 Minute Cut for Television. This was a brilliant cut for fans.
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #41 on: September 18, 2020, 09:00:28 AM »

You‘d be hard pressed to find a better expressed critical analysis of where the Lynch movie goes wrong than this one...

https://www.tor.com/2017/04/18/david-lynchs-dune-is-what-you-get-when-you-build-a-science-fictional-world-with-no-interest-in-science-fiction/

...much of which I agree with.

Dune, the novel, has a particular mood - it’s decidedly weird and slightly discombobulating in a number of ways. The desert is the lead character. The Fremen are mysterious, tribal, living on the edge. The great houses are positively feudal in organisation, and C19th in uniform. The Sardaukar are a uniformed Imperial Guard - not sci-fi stormtroopers in hazmat suits. It’s full of so many interesting and original ideas from a world building point of view, and yes, it’s science fiction of a kind dressed up with some interesting sci fi creations around the edges. But the central tale is fundamentally about a very simple human story. The Lynch movie gets so much of this wrong. He basically made it much more of an out and out sci-fi movie than it needed to be, especially in terms of the production design, and lost the mood / soul of the original novel as a result. The thing that drew people to the novel in the first place.

Just my opinion on it  :)

Online OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #42 on: September 18, 2020, 09:02:55 AM »
I like both  :D

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #43 on: September 18, 2020, 01:20:33 PM »
I like both  :D
I did too.  I can appreciate the movie for what it was.  The series was much closer to the story.  Problem is much like Enders Game there is so much that you are not able to put onto film.   
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline Easy E

• Mastermind
  • Just some guy who does stuff
    • Blood and Spectacles
« Reply #44 on: September 18, 2020, 03:03:25 PM »
I love Lynch's Dune with the heat of the Arrakian desert!

That being said, there is NO WAY this movie is a success, and I would wager money that the second half NEVER gets made. 

I hope the movie proves me wrong!   
Support Blood and Spectacles Publishing:
https://www.patreon.com/Bloodandspectaclespublishing