Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 25, 2024, 01:28:50 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690647
  • Total Topics: 118342
  • Online Today: 866
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SI’s conv proj: RAF Regiment 1978/82  (Read 5711 times)

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: RAF Regiment late 1970s
« Reply #15 on: September 11, 2020, 08:39:56 PM »
Nope. Sculpted by Kosta Heristanidis who does all the modern stuff for Eureka.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #16 on: September 11, 2020, 08:48:59 PM »
Quote from: Silent Invader
(and the 44 waterbottle carrier was quite popular as an extra).
Did it mean they could carry the whole bunch and not just individual bananas?  ;) :D
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Dr DeAth

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • My Little Lead Men
« Reply #17 on: September 11, 2020, 08:54:11 PM »

Well he's done a great job on them.
Photos of my recent efforts are at www.littleleadmen.com and https://beaverlickfalls.blogspot.com

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #18 on: September 11, 2020, 09:07:40 PM »
Did it mean they could carry the whole bunch and not just individual bananas?  ;) :D

Given that the rock apes gained their sobriquet in Aden, albeit a few years earlier than the period of the figures, using those figures is wonderfully apposite.  :)

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: September 12, 2020, 12:19:41 AM »
Hello mate, I'm currently serving as a SNCO in the RAF Regiment, have been since the mid 80's (just a reservist for the last couple of years) What exact information are you after? if I don't know, I'll know a man who does. Just been looking through the RAF Regt Pictures Facebook group for late 70's stuff. It's as I expected, exactly the same kit as when I joined up, DMS boots, puttees, green hairy shirts, 68 pattern DPM jackets and trousers with the occasional windproof. 58 webbing, more kidney pouches than lots of water bottle pouches. SLR and GPMG, hardly any SMG or LMG. If it's NW Europe, mainly Mk2 NBC suits. Any late 70s or early 80s British figures will do, the Gripping Beast Falklands ones are probably the best at the moment, they may well be marketed as Falklands but it was just standard kit at the time.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 12:54:50 AM by Rick F »

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #20 on: September 12, 2020, 01:16:59 AM »

He's definitely one of my favourite sculptors. I'm really excited to see the forthcoming interwar militia Eureka crowdfunded some months back.

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #21 on: September 12, 2020, 05:53:27 AM »
He's definitely one of my favourite sculptors. I'm really excited to see the forthcoming interwar militia Eureka crowdfunded some months back.

I didn’t know about them - sounds interesting
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 32
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #22 on: September 12, 2020, 07:24:20 AM »
Hello mate, I'm currently serving as a SNCO in the RAF Regiment, have been since the mid 80's (just a reservist for the last couple of years) What exact information are you after? if I don't know, I'll know a man who does. Just been looking through the RAF Regt Pictures Facebook group for late 70's stuff. It's as I expected, exactly the same kit as when I joined up, DMS boots, puttees, green hairy shirts, 68 pattern DPM jackets and trousers with the occasional windproof. 58 webbing, more kidney pouches than lots of water bottle pouches. SLR and GPMG, hardly any SMG or LMG. If it's NW Europe, mainly Mk2 NBC suits. Any late 70s or early 80s British figures will do, the Gripping Beast Falklands ones are probably the best at the moment, they may well be marketed as Falklands but it was just standard kit at the time.

That’s great Rick, thank you very much. I’m aiming for 1978-1982 UK &/or NWE and so you pretty much cover it - the detail about kidney pouches versus multiple water bottle pouches is very useful. I really like the proportions of the Eureka Aden figures and as I’m a glutton for punishment I’m going to sculpt the changes. A couple of details I’m pondering, some of which you might have noticed in the photos you looked at:

Did the 44 water bottle carrier get added much?
Did they use the booney-style DPM crap hat or was it the peaked one?

Also, when you joined was section structure same as for Army Infantry with 8/10 men split into rifle group and three man gun group?

I haven’t decided yet whether my patrol will wear berets or not (so it’s clear who are they are).

One thing that has surprised me, is how difficult it has been to find images of them on patrol.

:)

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #23 on: September 12, 2020, 09:08:34 AM »
No problem, I'll help as much as I can. From the photos, what I can mainly work out from the late 70s, normal 58 water bottle pouches were much more common than 44 pattern. This would depend on wether the individual had done tours of Salalah etc earlier in his career. But multiple 58 water bottle pouches rather than kidney pouches was more of an 80s thing. It was definitely issued DPM peaked caps rather than jungle hats, I've seen loads of photos with the whole section wearing them, they only stopped being worn when the Kevlar helmet became standard wear in the late 80s. They've even started to reissue them in MTP, but nobody wears them as jungle hats are much more popular. There was an officer recruiting brochure made in 1979 that is exactly what you're after. It follows a young Flight commander from 1 Sqn RAF Regt on a typical Harrier exercise in Germany. Lots of pictures from just before we got CVRT. I might still have it, but from memory they're just like I've described. I'll have a look at the Sqn history books for 79, they're photos of reserves but regulars wouldn't be much different, the cult of buying lots of kit didn't come in til the mid to late 80s.
We were still doing separate rifle and gun groups when I joined up.

Offline georgec

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: September 12, 2020, 09:15:41 AM »
As noted, really the same as the Army - for full on WW3 you would need NBC suits.  If RickF joined in the mid 80s he probably still hasnt got all the Fuller's earth cleared out...  Elhiem do 20mm masked BAOR, not sure anyone does unmasked NBC State 2 (suit worn hood down, boots and gloves carried) or State 4 (suit worn hood up, boots and gloves worn).  You might have been more likely to see 2 on exercise and 4 'for real' as the bloody overboots were lethal on wet surfaces and would rip apart  using up your (life-ex) training issue kit.     

https://www.elhiem.co.uk/ourshop/cat_817076-NATO-British-BAOR.html

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: September 12, 2020, 09:42:58 AM »
If you are after "Central Europe" figures you could always check our the Gripping Beast "Falklands British" in their MOFO range. They are listed under "Other" on their website.  These are basically late '70s/early '80s British squaddies armed with SLRs and  Sterling SMGs. Their RM Commandos are I presuem just the same figures with berets who could also be useful.   

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #26 on: September 12, 2020, 01:54:13 PM »
No problem, I'll help as much as I can. From the photos, what I can mainly work out from the late 70s, normal 58 water bottle pouches were much more common than 44 pattern. This would depend on wether the individual had done tours of Salalah etc earlier in his career. But multiple 58 water bottle pouches rather than kidney pouches was more of an 80s thing. It was definitely issued DPM peaked caps rather than jungle hats, I've seen loads of photos with the whole section wearing them, they only stopped being worn when the Kevlar helmet became standard wear in the late 80s. They've even started to reissue them in MTP, but nobody wears them as jungle hats are much more popular. There was an officer recruiting brochure made in 1979 that is exactly what you're after. It follows a young Flight commander from 1 Sqn RAF Regt on a typical Harrier exercise in Germany. Lots of pictures from just before we got CVRT. I might still have it, but from memory they're just like I've described. I'll have a look at the Sqn history books for 79, they're photos of reserves but regulars wouldn't be much different, the cult of buying lots of kit didn't come in til the mid to late 80s.
We were still doing separate rifle and gun groups when I joined up.

Thanks again Rick, that’s all excellent stuff. Am glad I asked about the hats! And thanks for confirming re rifle/gun groups. Very, very useful.   8)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #27 on: September 12, 2020, 01:58:29 PM »
As noted, really the same as the Army - for full on WW3 you would need NBC suits.  If RickF joined in the mid 80s he probably still hasnt got all the Fuller's earth cleared out...  Elhiem do 20mm masked BAOR, not sure anyone does unmasked NBC State 2 (suit worn hood down, boots and gloves carried) or State 4 (suit worn hood up, boots and gloves worn).  You might have been more likely to see 2 on exercise and 4 'for real' as the bloody overboots were lethal on wet surfaces and would rip apart  using up your (life-ex) training issue kit.     

https://www.elhiem.co.uk/ourshop/cat_817076-NATO-British-BAOR.html

Thanks very much, very interesting. As far as gaming goes, I’m not doing full on WW3 so am happy to go without Noddy Suits. To be honest I’m not yet sure what sort of gaming I’m going to do with them but I just want some.  :)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #28 on: September 12, 2020, 02:00:23 PM »
If you are after "Central Europe" figures you could always check our the Gripping Beast "Falklands British" in their MOFO range. They are listed under "Other" on their website.  These are basically late '70s/early '80s British squaddies armed with SLRs and  Sterling SMGs. Their RM Commandos are I presuem just the same figures with berets who could also be useful.

Thanks very much.  :)

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #29 on: September 12, 2020, 03:06:39 PM »
Rick, funny you mention the 'kit-buying cult'.  I think it was just starting when I went through IOT in the late 80s (wearing all the same kit, btw - no kevlar, L85, Gore-tex waterproofs, DPM NBC suits or hi-legs for us! :) ); everyone HAD to go out and buy gore-tex boot liners, waterproof notebooks and bungees...

It's occurred to me that I never, ever saw a Rock wearing DPM trousers; always OG Lightweights.  :D