Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 06:58:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SI’s conv proj: RAF Regiment 1978/82  (Read 5582 times)

Offline Overlord

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Top Geezer
    • The Sweeney
Re: RAF Regiment late 1970s
« Reply #30 on: September 12, 2020, 02:13:20 PM »
Not exactly what you are looking for Steve, but you might find it of vague period interest:

https://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record/31741

I remember seeing this at an air cadet in the late 70s.   I ended up at Bruggen around 10 years later...Tacevals & all... ::)

2024 Lead Tally: Acq: 013 Ptd: 055  Total: +042
2023 Lead Tally: Acq: 560 Ptd: 056  Total: -504
2009-22 Tally:  Acq: 3293 Ptd: 905  Total: -2388

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #31 on: September 12, 2020, 03:00:39 PM »
Rick, funny you mention the 'kit-buying cult'.  I think it was just starting when I went through IOT in the late 80s (wearing all the same kit, btw - no kevlar, L85, Gore-tex waterproofs, DPM NBC suits or hi-legs for us! :) ); everyone HAD to go out and buy gore-tex boot liners, waterproof notebooks and bungees...

It's occurred to me that I never, ever saw a Rock wearing DPM trousers; always OG Lightweights.  :D
It's a Cat Walk out there! lol

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #32 on: September 12, 2020, 03:15:03 PM »
Not exactly what you are looking for Steve, but you might find it of vague period interest:

https://film.iwmcollections.org.uk/record/31741

I remember seeing this at an air cadet in the late 70s.   I ended up at Bruggen around 10 years later...Tacevals & all... ::)

That was enjoyable  :D

It has a nice shot of RAF Police in the peaked crap hat; I kind of recall that cap being around in about 1978 though I’ve no idea when it was introduced. I don’t recall the cap badge being worn on it though (maybe it was a police thing).
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: September 12, 2020, 03:20:31 PM »
There was an officer recruiting brochure made in 1979 that is exactly what you're after. It follows a young Flight commander from 1 Sqn RAF Regt on a typical Harrier exercise in Germany.

I did manage to find this admittedly poor copy of an RAF Officer advert (from a glossy Sunday Supplement I think)  :)

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #34 on: September 12, 2020, 04:52:30 PM »
SD hat with DPM... Nice...  :D
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #35 on: September 12, 2020, 04:55:33 PM »
That was enjoyable  :D

It has a nice shot of RAF Police in the peaked crap hat; I kind of recall that cap being around in about 1978 though I’ve no idea when it was introduced. I don’t recall the cap badge being worn on it though (maybe it was a police thing).
I've never seen anyone wear a badge on one before.  Bloody Snowdrops...  ::) They had just gone obsolete when I joined up in 1989, but the stores were giving away surplus stock, so we all got one on permanent issue, but couldn't wear it.  Was still wearing mine for walking the hills until last year, when a mate gave me the new MTP version.

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #36 on: September 12, 2020, 05:43:17 PM »
SD hat with DPM... Nice...  :D
It's certainly not an act of war, I used to love watching people on gate guard wearing DPM with blue shirts and gloves.

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #37 on: September 12, 2020, 06:47:56 PM »
It's certainly not an act of war, I used to love watching people on gate guard wearing DPM with blue shirts and gloves.
The beret's not much better on the officer next to him!  lol  People persisting with the issued officers' beret badge (solid metal on horrible hessian backing) used to grind my gears.  A nice embroidered gold wire one only cost about £2 from the station tailor and would 'shabby up' with style as the beret faded...

Anyway, this has got me interested now and I'm feeling the urge to paint some... Did Rocks wear blue rank-slides in the field during the 80s?  My dealings were only really with IOT SNCOs, IOT RTS and Stn GDT Section Rocks, not the Field Sqns and I don't remember ever seeing them wear subdued rank slides back in the 80s, just the standard gun-metal-on-blue slides (and LACs and SACs didn't wear theirs at all).  I know Rock officers just wore standard black/sky rank-rings.  Also, did you ever wear mudguards on DPM or the RAF 'flash'?  I can only ever recall seeing para wings on DPM.

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #38 on: September 12, 2020, 07:51:41 PM »
I've never seen RAF Regt NCOs wear blue rank slides on greens, we used to get issued plain OG slides with RAF Regiment on from the early 80s. When you were promoted to Cpl you either bought a new set of OG ones with chevrons on or got the black permi pen out. If we were ever in 2 dress (which is probably what you saw at Cranwell, I did the same as an IOT instructor) we'd have plain blue slides with RAF Regiment on, then put the issue RAF ones over the top or buy our own. Maybe it was a Cranwell thing to wear blue slides with greens, but I very much doubt any RAF Regt NCO would ever have done it after the very early 80s, I've seen photos of blue slides on a few regiment NCOs in the 70s, but these would have been as rare as hens teeth later and as I say I've never seen it.
Nobody wore mudguards on DPM until the RAF Regiment slides were dropped in favour of green mudguards in 2002. Field Sqns have always worn green Sqn badges on DPM, non-formed units GDT/IOT etc wore the RAF flash after the introduction of CS95

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #39 on: September 12, 2020, 08:26:41 PM »
I've never seen RAF Regt NCOs wear blue rank slides on greens, we used to get issued plain OG slides with RAF Regiment on from the early 80s. When you were promoted to Cpl you either bought a new set of OG ones with chevrons on or got the black permi pen out. If we were ever in 2 dress (which is probably what you saw at Cranwell, I did the same as an IOT instructor) we'd have plain blue slides with RAF Regiment on, then put the issue RAF ones over the top or buy our own. Maybe it was a Cranwell thing to wear blue slides with greens, but I very much doubt any RAF Regt NCO would ever have done it after the very early 80s, I've seen photos of blue slides on a few regiment NCOs in the 70s, but these would have been as rare as hens teeth later and as I say I've never seen it.
Nobody wore mudguards on DPM until the RAF Regiment slides were dropped in favour of green mudguards in 2002. Field Sqns have always worn green Sqn badges on DPM, non-formed units GDT/IOT etc wore the RAF flash after the introduction of CS95
Cheers Rick!  They were undoubtedly dressed exactly as you describe, but the intervening 30 years has fogged the memory (122 IOT - it was a very long time ago... :( ).  Now you mention it, I do remember the RAF REGIMENT titled slides and I remember the blank slides with RAF REGIMENT in black (lightbulb moment... I blame all the apfelkorn...). Cheers for the confirmation re mudguards.  I know they've been worn in  post-S95 years, but couldn't for the life of me remember if they were worn before that. 

Re the flash - a Rock mate of mine had one on one of his smocks circa 1991, hence the question and it's the only one I'd ever seen prior to the introduction of TRFs in the 2000s.  It was bigger than a TRF and he referred to it as a 'DZ Flash'.  On Googling it seems that it was worn by RAF people on joint units.
« Last Edit: September 12, 2020, 08:31:20 PM by Jemima Fawr »

Offline Rick F

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #40 on: September 12, 2020, 08:35:27 PM »
Your right, the larger badges worn on combat jackets were known as DZ badges, the only time I've seen regiment people wearing the RAF one, before CS95 came in, was on blokes attached to non RAF airborne units.

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #41 on: September 12, 2020, 08:48:26 PM »
Your right, the larger badges worn on combat jackets were known as DZ badges, the only time I've seen regiment people wearing the RAF one, before CS95 came in, was on blokes attached to non RAF airborne units.
That explains it.  I've now run out of ideas to make them look a bit more RAF REG than British Army and I draw the line at painting RAF REGIMENT on the epaulette slides...  lol

BTW have we spoken before on TMP (discussing a mutual RAF Regt friend by the name of Brian M)?

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #42 on: September 13, 2020, 12:35:24 AM »
It’s clear where Ronnie RAAF AKA ‘The Blue Public Service’ and its bastard offspring the Air Defence Guards got their ideas on uniformity. Suede shoes anyone?

IIRC the official motto translates to ‘They also serve, those who only stand and wait’.  ;)

I always thought that the peaked combat cap was a much despised item in the British army, soubriquets such as DILAC hat, Cap C**t etc being applied to it. Funny that the crabs would find it a desirable item of wear.

It may have contributed to a short lived, local, fashion, popular with members of the RAAC, which was a floppy kepi type cap, complete with havelock. It gave the wearer the appearance that their mother had just dressed them for their first day in kindergarten or special education. It’s funny how fashion at times can so accurately reflect its wearer.
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 12:37:02 AM by carlos marighela »
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Online Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
« Reply #43 on: September 13, 2020, 01:12:38 AM »
It’s clear where Ronnie RAAF AKA ‘The Blue Public Service’ and its bastard offspring the Air Defence Guards got their ideas on uniformity. Suede shoes anyone?

IIRC the official motto translates to ‘They also serve, those who only stand and wait’.  ;)

I always thought that the peaked combat cap was a much despised item in the British army, soubriquets such as DILAC hat, Cap C**t etc being applied to it. Funny that the crabs would find it a desirable item of wear.

It may have contributed to a short lived, local, fashion, popular with members of the RAAC, which was a floppy kepi type cap, complete with havelock. It gave the wearer the appearance that their mother had just dressed them for their first day in kindergarten or special education. It’s funny how fashion at times can so accurately reflect its wearer.
My DPM crap-hat was certainly much-despised by everyone who saw me wearing it (the peak lost any stiffness it had about 20 years ago), hence my mate giving me his (unwanted) MTP crap-hat out of desperation...  lol  As for my SD Cap - I'd spent 25 years getting it to the perfect shape, colour and patination when my cadets burned it.  :'(

Offline Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
SI’s conv proj: RAF Regiment 1978/82
« Reply #44 on: September 13, 2020, 08:29:05 AM »
Thanks for all the posts on the uniform and kit details, they’re very, very helpful.  8)

I’m not looking for figure recommendations anymore as I’ve decided that this will be a conversion project, hopefully resulting in some distinctive minis. I’ve purchased the Eureka Aden minis for the starting point and will probably cast or press mould the 58 webbing parts, crap hats, etc.

I’ve another similar project on the go, for WW2 glider pilots and Airlanding Infantry, which gives an idea of my approach (see photo).  :)
« Last Edit: September 13, 2020, 08:30:43 AM by Silent Invader »