Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 23, 2024, 11:25:22 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690338
  • Total Topics: 118326
  • Online Today: 594
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: HeroQuest...  (Read 6678 times)

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
Re: HeroQuest...
« Reply #45 on: October 09, 2020, 11:28:30 AM »
But from the perspective of a broken old man with a complete original set, I can find other shiny things to spend a hundred and fifty quid on.

lol.
yeah, I guess so.
it's not being marketed as an expansion to the original game afaik? so, on it's own terms, reasonable enough, although that is indeed a very qualified 'reasonable'.

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #46 on: October 09, 2020, 11:30:56 AM »
$300, or a little over here in NZ, I think I'll pass as I have 1 and a half sets of the original.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #47 on: October 09, 2020, 12:50:39 PM »
Crazy. One of the appeals of a new Heroquest would have been non-stupid prices I thought. But then, I thought that this would be an actual product in actual shops. :D Me being optimistic about re-issues of broadly popular things is becoming an odd pattern with me now.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #48 on: October 09, 2020, 01:16:18 PM »
well ... dunno (pt. 2).

the £150 seems to be including stretch goals (expansions etc), so not that out of line with miniatures board-games in general? At least for first release RRP.
I can't afford it (and wish I could - probably a decent investment!), but it doesn't seem awful, as I say.

certainly a shame so many releases never make it into 'real' shops these days. But we've only ourselves to blame in some respects as far as that goes?

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #49 on: October 11, 2020, 01:33:03 AM »
If you look at Magic: The Arena, retail copies of HQ might have looked like melted blobs of plastic. Or HQ might have looked like the D&D Adventure System games, which were acceptable. But it's the hobby market that wants HQ, not the retail market, which seems to be fine with D&D Adventure system (and another Disney Monopoly). I'm sure from a suit and bean counter's POV, HQ is unnecessary, since the D&D Adventure Systems are a consistent seller, and their miniatures can be used with D&D RPG as well (I mean, look at the title: D&D Adventure System), while HQ is a 30-year old game with no track record and nothing but nostalgia to fuel it.

So either you either (fail to) convince the bean counters and suits to put out a game similar to what's already out there (who knows, maybe HQ advocates at Hasbro already did that) and for which the rights are entirely murky, or you go after that niche that's been demanding it for 30 years. And you put out a high-end product, because hobbyists have too much money and want high-quality stuff (much like the original HQ miniatures relative to other boardgame plastic "pawns" of the time). So you price it comparable to other expensive high-end KS games. And you use the Hasbro storefront, Haslabs, which has a track record of selling high-end collectibles.

But only in NA. Which means that you have to convince another rounds of suits and bean counters to offer a product overseas, which has all sorts of IP and customs laws that they don't want to deal with (maybe the lawyers are better off sending C&D's to other companies than finding out who own's the HQ IP in several different countries). It does look like Hasbro has a plan B by using other companies to distribute the HQ game to certain countries (at a whopping price, hooray for hobby gamers with whale-sized nostalgia budgets).

Well, better than if you're a Star Wars collector, no doubt.... :P

https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2516097/heroquest-mythic-tier-now-available-new-zealandaus
https://www.boardgamegeek.com/thread/2517516/heroquest-uk
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #50 on: October 11, 2020, 01:56:41 AM »
If you think about it, Hero Quest is the epitome of a "safe bet".

1) We have Hero Quest, a generally beloved IP.  There are still reviews of the game, a decent third-party support system, a couple of forums running with people who still play it, etc.

2) You have a successful (financially) KS run by Gamezone (who turned out to be criminals).  This at least shows you the interest is there...someone did you market research for you.

3) By using a KS clone yourself you risk...nothing but the time it took to plan/do some promo art, and some 3D renders (they barely look like actual renders, may simply be art of renders).

As with a lot of KS, if this succeeds you can do one of two things; put it out on general release...or wait and re-Kickstart it every couple of years.  The latter is more financially savvy as you will be selling to customers at more-or-less full cost.

Heck they admit they're not even really re-writing the rules, so the effort going into this is shockingly minimal and almost a guaranteed success.  They're following the Hollywood methodology of simple reboots.  Only luckily, there isn't a bizarre director who'll complete destroy the game before releasing it.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 203
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline The Wolf

• Schoolboy
    • Chronicles of War
« Reply #51 on: October 12, 2020, 08:24:34 AM »
Now that's available in Australia I'm in. $300 AUD for the base set and 2 expansions plus the extras seems ok (especially when you are used to paying Games Workshop prices)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #52 on: October 12, 2020, 11:48:48 AM »
Hold on now, you could get a single giant for that price  lol