Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 04:47:24 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: HeroQuest...  (Read 6545 times)

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
Re: HeroQuest...
« Reply #15 on: September 20, 2020, 12:30:22 PM »
Yup, it's just a perfect 'gateway game' for a whole generation of (war)gamers. Back then my siblings and I played a ton of those games, but since the mid-1990s that genre just vanished. When in the mid-noughties these games made a come-back they got huge and complicated and aimed at young adults. Because I suppose people stopped growing up, so the industry noticed they can cater to those "big kids with lots of money". Which is fine and all, but there clearly is this gap now of dungeon crawlers for kids. I hear dungeon saga is pretty simple and there's Mice and Mystics of course, but still - I think there should be a heroquest for each generation.

Offline Redmao

• Scientist
  • Canadian Agent
« Reply #16 on: September 20, 2020, 12:43:59 PM »
When the announcement was original made, they hashtaged Haslab which is Hasbro's crownfunding platform.
If they actually take this path to finance the game, then it won't bring in new fans. It's a bummer that huge toy companies need crowndfunding to make good games these days.

I share your opinion that the game should be available at retail, but the original had so many components that it would be pretty expensive even if many of the elements were made out of cardboard.
Maybe they could release a basic game with the minis and tiles and if you want the 3d furniture, you buy an optional set. Of course knowing the distribution problems of the toy industry such a set would be impossible to find and would be grabbed by scalpers...

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #17 on: September 20, 2020, 01:11:50 PM »
......It's a bummer that huge toy companies need crowndfunding to make good games these days

They don't.

They use Kickstarter because they risk your money not their own (or that of the bank/venture capital company they borrow from). Means they can push ideas based on little or no market research, weak or non existent business plans and no up front investment other than a few crappy photoshop images and some vainglorious fluff about it being the best thing ever. Then just walk away without a second thought when it goes tits up, safe in the knowledge backers are not investors so have no recourse to legal protection.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: September 20, 2020, 11:44:59 PM »
Pure speculation, but Haslab may be the high-end copy of HQ for the hobbyists, and Hasbro may release a retail version later. Retail version may look like the cheap Magic: The Arena sets, which were fine for kids, but not hobbyists.

If you look at Haslab's previous three projects, which are essentially high-end collectible figures, there's no way the bean counters at Hasbro would make them for retail. Wouldn't be surprised if there's an in-house champion for HQ, who at least got as far as Haslab. Better alternative than another 25 years of no HQ.

I'd say that Hasbro is more likely to deliver product, yet is just as likely not to provide additional funds if the project encounters cost overruns. (Many KS creators are willing to take a loss on a project and not cut corners.) Search on "haslab review" for reviews of their only finished product, a Star Wars Jabba the Hut barge, and go to their site to review their current projects in production. Star Wars fans forked $500 for the barge -- hardly something that would hit retail.
« Last Edit: September 20, 2020, 11:51:49 PM by ced1106 »
Crimson Scales with Wildspire Miniatures thread on Reaper!
https://forum.reapermini.com/index.php?/topic/103935-wildspire-miniatures-thread/

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: September 21, 2020, 07:06:14 AM »
Im still expecting it to be a Restoration games project (which might mean a Kickstarter) the new Dark Tower and Fireball Island they did were both Milton Bradley (Hasbro) properties that sold very well. If it is them then expect to see overhauled/modernised rules and lavish production values, but aimed at the original audience. They always go all out.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #20 on: September 22, 2020, 03:51:30 AM »
From RG's tweet: "To clear things up: We are not affiliated with Hasbro's HeroQuest announcement, and we do not have any current plans for a HeroQuest game."

RG did file a trademark for HeroQuest Legacies but "We often file for trademarks on an intent-to-use basis (as this one was) as a very preliminary step. The timing just turned out very awkwardly with Hasbro's subsequent announcement."

12 more hours...!

https://twitter.com/RestorationGame/status/1305553152205258758

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: September 22, 2020, 06:24:29 AM »
Oh! Well that clears that up then, a shame I was quite excited about what they'd do with the IP.

Offline ced1106

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #22 on: September 22, 2020, 04:42:08 PM »
> Oh! Well that clears that up then, a shame I was quite excited about what they'd do with the IP.

Speaking of Witch...

Pretty much the same HeroQuest with an art upgrade, with no mention of GW. Even the word "Chaos" has been replaced by "Dread".

No shipment outside of US or Canada.

If you're international or swamped with generic fantasy miniatures, you're better off with eBay.

https://hasbropulse.com/products/heroquest-game-system

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #23 on: September 22, 2020, 05:05:22 PM »
Well that's a disappointment, will stick with my original copy. I have a feeling the quests are identical as well.

Bard was half right about the elf.

Offline Gibby

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #24 on: September 22, 2020, 05:16:36 PM »
Looks like a good product - lots of reverence for the original game, but modernised in those ways you'd want to see nowadays. Not sure about the look of the orcs, but everything else looks great. That said, the fact it's shipping to the US and Canada only aside, I won't be getting it. I'm a heretic who thinks Heroquest is a bit crap as a game (accepting that it is aimed at younger players, and I have no kids). :D

Weird that such a big company would crowdfund it, though. They'd have done better to release it normally and send the Bard a review copy to drum up the real excitement.

Offline Tactalvanic

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: September 22, 2020, 05:23:11 PM »
Oh well, that's that then

"featuring 71 highly detailed character and furniture miniatures" so now we include the furniture in the mini count, nice twist.

Weird that such a big company would crowdfund it, though. They'd have done better to release it normally and send the Bard a review copy to drum up the real excitement.

I guess it does mean they get another product actually on the books for their crowdfunding platform.

Offline Battle Brush Sigur

• Mastermind
  • Brush-for-Hire
« Reply #26 on: September 22, 2020, 09:25:56 PM »

Yeah, I was an optimist again. I thought one of the biggest toy companies in the world would be able to release a physical product and put it on shelves world-wide (and bloody keep it there) without pre-financing it. But I guess that's too much to ask.

Sure, I'm not 100% happy with the redesigns (are there even illustrators around who can do non-cartoon characters at this point?), but I could have looked beyond that. Sure, HQ was a ....simple game. But it's a good gateway thing. Oh well. There are alternatives around, and I'm sure Hasbro got an ingenious plan for gripping the next generation rather than milking the old generation for a quick cash infusion...

Offline pixelgeek

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Zac's Gaming Blog
« Reply #27 on: September 22, 2020, 09:46:52 PM »
They use Kickstarter because they risk your money not their own (or that of the bank/venture capital company they borrow from). Means they can push ideas based on little or no market research, weak or non existent business plans and no up front investment other than a few crappy photoshop images and some vainglorious fluff about it being the best thing ever. Then just walk away without a second thought when it goes tits up, safe in the knowledge backers are not investors so have no recourse to legal protection.

Tell us what you really think

Offline The Voivod

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #28 on: September 23, 2020, 06:33:38 AM »
I'm a heretic who thinks Heroquest is a bit crap as a game (accepting that it is aimed at younger players, and I have no kids). :D

Preach.  :D
I must admit I get hit with the nostalgia bug every time I see anything Heroquest related. Still planning on painting my pristine version and want to replace the models from the expansions I ruined as a kid. But as a game there are far better gateway options for kids as well these days. I played it with my kids a few times when they where very young, but the only reason to do so now would be that it's the only game I have in our own language and their English is getting pretty good.

The game was important though and I get the enthusiasm. I was tempted with the 25th anniversary edition and this tempted me as well. Them not  shipping to EU might be for the best for me.

As for what they are offering I don't think it's entirely to my taste. I really like the new heroes and am always a great fan of offering alternate gender version. The monsters lose a lot of their old goofy charm, unfortunately and that a big deal for me. And the abominations replacing the fimir, while understandable IP wise, that's just a bummer.
Artwork looks cool and updated and I like the better furniture, but I think I can source those from terrain crate and other options.

I would love to see a good dungeoncrawler in mainstream stores, like heroquest used to be. That would get a huge boost to the hobby. But we aren't that obscure anymore. This doesn't seem like it will hit mainstream stores and I think there would be better options nowadays to do so.

But if this scratches anyones itch: I'm looking forward to see what some of you will do with the models.
'Mercy? I am far to brave to grant you mercy.'

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #29 on: September 23, 2020, 07:15:10 AM »
Not overly enthused with the soft-anime/CMON style art style of the miniatures - and I wouldn't bet on boardgame minis looking that good (I'm afeard they'll simply use crap plastic).  Pretty lazy to just regurgitate the game - but people who are Hero Quest nuts will be glad for new materials.

I bought in on the ill-fated Spanish one what 2013 or so?  That was back when my now 13-year old nephew was actually a kid.  As an adult I don't have any need of Hero Quest, so I'll simply keep my eye on it.  If it eventually becomes a normal retail project at predicted discounts I'll grab a cheap copy for the minis if they're not crap - maybe.

Overall, pretty lazy/underwhelming looking.
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!