Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:08:09 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686467
  • Total Topics: 118101
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: HeroQuest...  (Read 6543 times)

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
Re: HeroQuest...
« Reply #30 on: September 23, 2020, 08:27:34 AM »
Looks like it is only available to Canada and USA so sucks for me!

Offline TheMightyFlip

• Mastermind
  • Smoggie!!
    • Flips Miniatures
« Reply #31 on: September 23, 2020, 11:51:31 AM »
Cheaper to buy a used set on eBay  :D

I know that Zavi in the UK are handling the preorders for some of Hasbro's crowdfunded action figures, so they might get involved with this.

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #32 on: September 23, 2020, 06:11:06 PM »
Seeing as it looks just like a reprint with new miniatures and card art im not bothered I couldnt get it anyway (not living in the US). Ill happily just keep my original! The furniture is cool but not a fan of the minis or the new art.

Offline Duncan McDane

• Mastermind
« Reply #33 on: September 23, 2020, 07:10:14 PM »
Looks like a boring re-release with different miniatures. Good I don't miss out on anything interesting because I'm an EU-resident ( got it already but really was hoping they'd take it to the next level ).
Leadhead

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #34 on: September 23, 2020, 07:44:54 PM »
Interesting! The introduction video looks like a computer game cgi from the turn of the millenium, with some Lord of the Rings film and Artstation fantasy art looks thrown in. Of course they just had to add anime ears to the elf. Female orcs look as if inspired by Zvezda cover arts, methinks. Why they chose to ignore the classic black knight look of the Chaos Warrior (the best GW chaos warrior, ever) with its half-realistic equipment and go for a full Nazgul-meets-cgi look is beyond me. Dwarf likewise absolutely has to have that chunky, jagged head gear like if a parody of a proper dwarf.

The anime ears aside, the black and white art looks surprisingly good - as if from 1980s D&D manuals or from the original manuals. Those are very well done! Same with the furniture scenery, their 3D models look good too.

The original late 1980s to early 1990s release is the gold standard for whole humanity when it comes to board games, if valued from viewpoint of aesthetics, component quality, overall presentation level and feel and not being too overly complicated rules-wise. (Some high quality chess sets could compete with it in that regard, but lose when it comes to theming...) The game most certainly caught my interest and acted as an introduction to the whole hobby. Oh the days when the early morning commercials on tv showed the HeroQuest advert and HeroQuest game books were sold in mainstream book shops...

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #35 on: September 24, 2020, 07:00:48 AM »
Yeah, just like a rerelease. I'll be happy getting my zealot miniature stand ins in metal.

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #36 on: September 24, 2020, 11:37:50 AM »
well, the black and white art looks 'surprisingly good' if you want a pastiche of a certain comic-book look from pre-2000 I guess.
Which could well be the point and fair enough.

Offline Neunfinger

• Scientist
« Reply #37 on: September 26, 2020, 07:07:27 PM »
Seeing this thread I actually got my original game out and played a round with my son. He liked it quite a lot. Says something about about its complexity when a three year old can play it, but it was great fun nonetheless.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
« Reply #38 on: September 26, 2020, 10:04:36 PM »
Assuming you can afford to buy a set on eBay then just spend another £340 and get a set of https://zealotminiatures.com/zealot-shop/#!/Litchmyre-Completionist-Set-45-models/p/238528561/category=9323712

The best of the bunch in my mind is a more reasonable price and is:

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
« Reply #39 on: September 27, 2020, 12:03:03 AM »
Ignoring the distribution issues, (NA only?) this remains a hard pass for me. The miniatures are uninspiring and lack any real character, and the nostalgia pull isn't enough for me to drop any real money on it.

Offline Nordic1980s

• Librarian
« Reply #40 on: September 27, 2020, 08:41:44 PM »
    Read many forum posts in the links given by ced1106 (thanks go to him) and it got me thinking the whole game meme. Back in late 1980s to early 1990s the game aesthetics were representative of mainstream cultural visuals:
    • barbarian - Conan comics, Conan the movie, He-Man toys, Lord of the Rings animated movie Aragorn
    • dwarf, elf, wizard - Lord of the Rings comic, animated movie, books, even Merlin/Arthur mythos, Link from NES Zelda
    • skeleton - grim reaper (minus the cape), skeleton ninja pyjama suits (after a ninja movie?), skeleton stickers, toy skeletons, MB's Ghost Castle game etc.
    • zombie (on the main box cover, not the model figure) - Frankenstein monster, zombie stickers
    • chaos warrior - generic medieval black knight, black suit of armour in MB's Ghost Castle game, NES Zelda knights
    • chaos sorcerer - Skeletor and its predecessors in Conan mythos (link; yes, I know there was a metal Citadel model before)
    • gargoyle - Lord of the Rings animated movie balrog, Motorhead logo
    • fimir - Alan Lee backcover art (link)
    • endless vertical caves/stairs (in cover art) - endless stairs in Lord of the Rings animated movie Moria scene

Back in those times, the young person or his parents would have instantly been at home (culturally) when viewing the box at the shop or opening it at home. I would argue this was a major selling point for the whole game - or for any generic old school fantasy game for that matter. (As such a very good thing: people tend to primarily love the genre, less so a specific game/book/product. Just look at Warhammer mythos, loved by non-gamers alike.) This begs the follow-up question: to whom exactly this new incarnation of game is meant for? If for old timers, most of the visuals, save the before mentioned b&w art, lack the neat art style of the original. If for new customers, would they feel at home with the visuals? Or is the Artstation generation the primary intended target group, the group for who the cgi looks are an inherent part of the deal and not an unintended by-product?

Offline beefcake

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #41 on: September 27, 2020, 08:56:03 PM »
I really don't know why they didn't just do a cyclops for the fimir stand in.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #42 on: October 09, 2020, 08:21:10 AM »
I know that Zavi in the UK are handling the preorders for some of Hasbro's crowdfunded action figures, so they might get involved with this.

Flip is right!

https://www.gamesradar.com/uk/heroquest-board-game-preorder/

Now available to UK buyers. Yay!

£149.99 - Boo!

Honestly, I'll stick with my original, I don't think this offers anything new...

Offline Bloggard

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #43 on: October 09, 2020, 09:19:35 AM »
dunno ... tough crowd.

looks good to me, if I was wanting this kind of game and could justify the expense.

pretty good value against picking up the original secondhand, given the prices for that now.

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #44 on: October 09, 2020, 09:51:32 AM »
I don't think anyone is denying that it looks good, its just that there doesn't really seem to be a hook for anyone who may still have the original to stumpo up for a replacement.

I'm not saying that it won't be just as enjoyable, or it won't attract new players because I'm sure it will.

But from the perspective of a broken old man with a complete original set, I can find other shiny things to spend a hundred and fifty quid on.

I expect I'm not really their target audience, mind you...  lol