Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 11:31:07 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689748
  • Total Topics: 118292
  • Online Today: 821
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: First game for Frostgrave 2E  (Read 2177 times)

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
First game for Frostgrave 2E
« on: September 16, 2020, 12:56:44 PM »
Tried out the new Frosgtrave 2E rules last night and it was a bloodbath.  We did two fresh level 0 warbands and went to town.  Played the Summoning Bell scenario on a 3X3 board.  Mechanically the rules were the same and it was an easy play.  The particulars were what caught us both out.

I fielded an illusionist and added the spell blink to my arsenal.  It was cast five times between my wizards and only “worked” once.  The thief that it was cast on made his will roll and the spell had no effect.  However I had an archer with only one health survive five turns of hand to hand combat before taking double damage from a toad. 

Between the first four randomly rolled monsters in the corners and the double random encounters almost every turn we ended up with the following monsters on the board:
4 snow trolls
4 Toads
4 wearwolves
2 armoured skeletons
2 skeletons
2 Snow Leopards
1 white gorilla
1 ghoul
Thankfully all the big stuff ended up coming from only two adjoining sides giving both of us a clear shot to get something off the board.

I managed off with only one treasure, my apprentice and a wounded thief.  After the game my wizard ended up with a niggling injury so I have that to look forward to.  All of my other models came off fine.  I also missed my chance for my ulterior motive.  I opened the casket but was unable to spend the time to finish the conditions on the card.  I did kill the ghoul, two skeletons and a Snow Leopard.

Mark my opponent ended up stopping the bell , a troll helped him finish his ulterior motive by killing one of my models and he collected two treasures.  He only had two thieves make it off the board and his wizard earned twice the experience but also died for his troubles.  His apothecary ended up seriously injured and will not play the next game.

All in all it was a fun if bloody game.  I would suggest that anyone looking to play this scenario get their wizards up a couple of levels prior to attempting it.  The only complaint that I have, if you can call it that, is the scenario is administratively heavy.  Lost of beasties to keep track of.  Even with all the mayhem a good time was had by all. 

On to some random photos with no descriptions.

A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com

Offline The Golem

• Bookworm
  • Muddy fellow
    • My hobby blog (in french)
Re: First game for Frostgrave 2E
« Reply #1 on: September 16, 2020, 04:25:47 PM »
The pictures are awesome! Very inspiring too! :o

Offline Radu Lykan

• Bookworm
« Reply #2 on: September 17, 2020, 05:14:31 PM »
Saw ash play this one on his channel the other day, looked fun and it looks like you had fun as well.
I generally love it when big stuff turns up, it can ramp up the tension to 11
Going to have to make some additions to my encounter models as a lot of big things I only have one of etc

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #3 on: September 17, 2020, 06:31:23 PM »
Nice set up.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #4 on: September 17, 2020, 06:36:37 PM »
looks fantastic - love the stair cases

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2020, 07:08:10 PM »
Thanks for the comments all.
looks fantastic - love the stair cases
Inspired by your staircases.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2020, 10:17:13 PM »
thought they looked vaguely familiar....yours look better and you have more of them

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #7 on: September 18, 2020, 01:35:27 PM »
thought they looked vaguely familiar....yours look better and you have more of them
After seeing some of your projects here, somehow I cannot see myself having more of any kind of terrain than you.  You seem to jump in with both feet while I am still in the planning stage of any project and manage to get it done before I can start cutting materials.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2020, 01:37:09 PM by snitcythedog »

Offline WillPhillips

• Librarian
    • Will's Tabletop Projects
« Reply #8 on: September 18, 2020, 08:44:42 PM »
Between the first four randomly rolled monsters in the corners and the double random encounters almost every turn we ended up with the following monsters on the board:
4 snow trolls
4 Toads
4 wearwolves
2 armoured skeletons
2 skeletons
2 Snow Leopards
1 white gorilla
1 ghoul

Holy crap. I've already committed to assembling some warbands for Frostgrave and picked up the 2E rules, but man.... between all the extra monsters and the scenario-specific terrain, that feels like a lot of overhead just to play a skirmish-level game.
Focused on 6mm pike and shot and 28mm Frostgrave
Blogging about my projects at Tabletop.WillPhillips.org

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 18, 2020, 09:30:17 PM »
After seeing some of your projects here, somehow I cannot see myself having more of any kind of terrain than you.  You seem to jump in with both feet while I am still in the planning stage of any project and manage to get it done before I can start cutting materials.

jumping in with both feet, arms and head most of the time... :)

never plan, just cogitate the idea and then out come the tools. Quite a lot of what I build is very fast and very simple.

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2020, 10:36:02 PM »
Holy crap. I've already committed to assembling some warbands for Frostgrave and picked up the 2E rules, but man.... between all the extra monsters and the scenario-specific terrain, that feels like a lot of overhead just to play a skirmish-level game.
The scenario is monster heavy.  Nice thing is the game scales up and down.  You do not need much to begin with and you can scale up as much as you are willing.  I just happened to order three basic sets of Reaper bones from their kickstarters and had them sitting around in a bin.  I spent most of the COVID lockdown painting encounters and building more terrain.  That happened to coincide with the release of 2E. 
jumping in with both feet, arms and head most of the time... :)
never plan, just cogitate the idea and then out come the tools. Quite a lot of what I build is very fast and very simple.
Even if they are fast and simple the shear quality and quantity of terrain that you have posted is inspiring.  My wife use to complain about the amount of terrain in the garage until I showed her the pictures of your last shed renovation.  Well.... she still complains about the terrain, but not quite as much! lol

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 10:00:15 AM »
My wife use to complain about the amount of terrain in the garage until I showed her the pictures of your last shed renovation.  Well.... she still complains about the terrain, but not quite as much! lol

If my wife complains I can't hear her - the Shed is down the end of the garden lol. Thank you for your kind comments.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #12 on: September 22, 2020, 10:18:04 AM »
Hey, can we slow things down a bit? I still haven't got around to playing first edition yet, and I've had it a few years.  :)

I guess that's my own fault. Anyway, nice one.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...