Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:27:59 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Pathan Medley - new painting, P4  (Read 7208 times)

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
Perry Pathan Medley - new painting, P4
« on: September 13, 2020, 07:51:45 PM »
Having received the newly released Perry plastic Afghans a couple of days ago, couldn't resist quickly sticking a few together and getting some paint on them.

What can I say? There is nobody, but nobody (just IMHO mind), in the same league as Michael Perry when it comes to capturing exactly the look and character of a fighting man of any race, nation or period. They're not just incredibly well made figures, they ooze exactly the right character for the subject matter. I think I'm going to be making a lot more of these. Not because I really need them (I've already got over 100 Pathans ::)) but because they're just so damned good! An out and out pleasure to make and paint.

For comparison purposes, here are five of the new plastic figures (on the right), along with five of the original Foundry Pathans (on the left) and five of the Perry's recent metal Pathans from a couple of years ago (centre).
As you can see, they all fit in well together, both stylistically and size-wise, as you'd expect being from the same sculptor - even though those Foundry figures must now be at least 25 years old, and were painted by me (when my painting wasn't quite as developed as it is now :D) around 20 years ago.
(I did touch them up a bit before taking this pic to be fair lol)

The plastic kit is just superb. A cornucopia of different head, arm and weapon options, and ten different bodies. Those hawk-like faces, perfectly rendered, and the detail on the weaponry is incredible. The sense of movement, the natural posing and body proportions are all spot on. I swear the Perry's plastic sets just keep getting better and better.
I can also see myself swapping a select few of the Pathan heads onto the British Infantry 1877-1885 bodies, to make up some more Guide infantry.
So many possibilities.
:)
« Last Edit: April 10, 2021, 01:35:14 PM by Captain Blood »

Offline marianas_gamer

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Our Man on Guam Watchman in the East
Re: Perry Pathan Medley
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2020, 07:58:26 PM »
Wonderful work :-* ....and now you put a hit on my wallet and increased my lead/plastic pile as well because how can I not have more of these fantastic hairy hill men? lol lol
Lon
Got to kick at the darkness till it bleeds daylight.

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2020, 08:02:30 PM »
Aren’t you supposed to be juggling apples?  lol

They look the biz  :D
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2020, 08:09:48 PM »
There's a real joy to see  :-* :-* :-*

The new Perry stuff sits really well with the old (Perry) Foundry sculpts  8)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #4 on: September 13, 2020, 08:11:30 PM »
Here is me doing the broken record again: fantastic paintjob, Richard, and thanks for the review. As you know I, to, have a sizeable Pathan muster, but since I have reinforced my Jazz Age Indian Army little by little for quite some time, I really need to reinforce my Wazirs and Afridis to balance things. These plastics seem to just what I need.

Am I right in recalling that these do not come with Enfields or Mosin Nagats on the sprue?

Are there any riders on the horizon?

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #5 on: September 13, 2020, 08:34:36 PM »
Hi Peder. Yes indeed, I know you have more NWF tribesmen than is strictly healthy for anyone lol
No ‘modern’ rifles included in the set I’m afraid, just jezails, Brown Bess muskets, and um, Snyder (?) percussion cap rifled muskets.

I wouldn’t be surprised to see a plastic Afghan cavalry set follow on, although I kinda feel that a multi-purpose British colonial cavalry set might come first, with some options allowing cavalry (lancers / hussars / Indian cavalry) for the Sudan, Zulu War, and NWF.
Not that I know anything about the Perry plans. Just surmising what may be most marketable  :)

Aren’t you supposed to be juggling apples?  lol

They look the biz  :D

lol Cider making all done for the day. 15 gallons of apple juice extracted. Phew.

Thanks lads.

Offline Belisarius

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
    • Yahoo groups Ulster Wargames Society
« Reply #6 on: September 13, 2020, 08:37:38 PM »
I’m delighted to see you tackling these figures, Richard . I have all the old Foundry figures. I haven’t lifted a paintbrush for over a year , since moving house , but these Afghan figures have me sorely tempted .

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 08:42:31 PM »
Wow, that was fast Richard, even for you! Those look great!  :-* :-* :-* :-* Just waiting for my delivery of the pride of Afghanistan to arrive....

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #8 on: September 13, 2020, 08:45:07 PM »
Brilliant work, moi capitan. And so fast!!! But in one point I don‘t agree: Paul Hicks become with his latest figures in the same league as the twins. But the air in this league is very thin.
What will come next from you? Some mixes of these boxes with older boxes???
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #9 on: September 13, 2020, 08:55:33 PM »
Oh ah, just the thing. More masterful Perry sculpts, given the Captain Blood treatment. They should pay you a commission, Richard. I'll bet a load of people have bought their figures after having seen what you have done with them.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Mike1879

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 13, 2020, 09:09:52 PM »
Your just so damn good Captain !!! One hell of a painter those Pathans are superb

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #11 on: September 13, 2020, 09:15:37 PM »
No ‘modern’ rifles included in the set I’m afraid, just jezails, Brown Bess muskets, and um, Snyder (?) percussion cap rifled muskets.

Nerdish info-dump incoming:  The Snider (or Snider-Enfield) was actually the first breech-loader used by the British Army (later to be replaced by the Martini-Henry). As the name suggests, it was actually a conversion-job of the Enfield rifled musket - Enfield rifles with the brand new Snider modern action. To look at, though, they are virtually identical to the Enfield. You would think you were observing a percussion musket, not a modern rifle. So an easy mistake to make, thinking they are percussion muskets - if they are percussion muskets then they are Enfields probably. That of course means on your figures you can treat them as either.

One thing that comes up often in Darkest Africa threads is "why are the British askari of the 1890s still using muskets?" The answer is: they aren't - those are hand-me-down Sniders (obsolete by two generations, but still better than what most natives have got).

Offline anch_io

• Bookworm
« Reply #12 on: September 13, 2020, 09:55:38 PM »
Wow! Just beautiful... I am tempted to buy them and I do not even play that theater/period...

Offline Wirelizard

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Needs More Zeppelin!
    • The Warbard
« Reply #13 on: September 14, 2020, 12:41:26 AM »
Those are lovely. I've been tempted to pick up a box of these guys to restart my 1920s/30s pulpish NWF adventures, but hearing that there's no modern(ish) rifles in the box at all is a bit disappointing.

Might be able to scrounge rifles from some of the plastic WWII sets, maybe off the Perry Desert Rats Brits?

Offline Codsticker

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Kodsticklerburg: A Mordheim project
« Reply #14 on: September 14, 2020, 03:24:04 AM »

Might be able to scrounge rifles from some of the plastic WWII sets, maybe off the Perry Desert Rats Brits?
There are 2 spare rifles on each sprue of Wargames Atlantic WW1 Germans; they may work: