Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 11:21:48 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686473
  • Total Topics: 118102
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Perry Pathan Medley - new painting, P4  (Read 7205 times)

Offline Ragsta

• Scientist
Re: Perry Pathan Medley
« Reply #15 on: September 14, 2020, 05:22:31 AM »

Lovely paintwork, Captain.

Regarding Afghan cavalry, I believe that Wargames Atlantic are working on a set soon - they have images on their site for the mock ups. My apologies but cannot comment on scale differences.

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #16 on: September 14, 2020, 06:19:12 AM »
Wow, excellent work. They are probably the best plastic set I have seen so far.
Haven’t stuck many together yet but I have started to mix them with the WA kit and they do mix quite well, so even more variety. For Martinis, I will be taking some from the Zulu sprue and the WA Afghan sprue.

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #17 on: September 14, 2020, 06:31:09 AM »
There are 2 spare rifles on each sprue of Wargames Atlantic WW1 Germans; they may work:

Is there a British WWI sprue for Enfield Mk. I's and other?
« Last Edit: September 14, 2020, 10:31:30 AM by Hammers »

Offline Keith

• Mastermind
    • Small Wars Blog
« Reply #18 on: September 14, 2020, 07:31:48 AM »
Wow - beautifully done Captain, and damn fast too.
The muse has struck clearly!
Any plans for ambitious conversions yet?
An infrequent Blog http://small-wars.com

Offline Poiter50

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: September 14, 2020, 07:33:25 AM »
I think there are some really useful arms and weapons on that pack, really good for conversions
Cheers,
Poiter50

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #20 on: September 14, 2020, 08:19:04 AM »
Wonderful work - as ever. :-*

I will follow your progress with interest.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #21 on: September 14, 2020, 10:21:35 AM »
Thanks chaps :)

Wow - beautifully done Captain, and damn fast too.
The muse has struck clearly!
Any plans for ambitious conversions yet?

Thanks Keith. Only perhaps to try a few of the turbanned heads on the British Infantry bodies to make up some more Guides. Some of the Nile Arab heads from the Ansar set would also give some more interesting variations on these.

Wow, excellent work. They are probably the best plastic set I have seen so far.
Haven’t stuck many together yet but I have started to mix them with the WA kit and they do mix quite well, so even more variety. For Martinis, I will be taking some from the Zulu sprue and the WA Afghan sprue.

Thanks Alan. I fear mixing the WA set in with these would be like putting Trabant spares on a Porsche ;) They look like chalk and cheese to me. These Perry figures look like authentic North West Frontier tribesmen. The WA set looks to me like someone's vague idea of what North West Frontier tribesmen should look like. The detail looks soft and the posing peculiar. Apart from that... :)

...hearing that there's no modern(ish) rifles in the box at all is a bit disappointing.
Might be able to scrounge rifles from some of the plastic WWII sets, maybe off the Perry Desert Rats Brits?

To be fair, the Perrys have strictly labelled them 1800-1900, so can't really blame them :)
If they'd included some C20th rifles, someone would probably have complained there were no AK47's and Mujahiddeen hats.
I don't think the Desert Rat Lee-Enfields will work, as those WWII sets are a good bit smaller than the rest of the Perry plastic range ('true 1/56 scale')
Other manufacturers' weapon sprues may be a better bet.

Nerdish info-dump incoming:  The Snider (or Snider-Enfield) was actually the first breech-loader used by the British Army...

Thanks Dylan. Good nerding there - useful and informative :)
Ah yes, I remember now - 'Snider'... (Snyder is an upmarket pretzel snack brand lol)

Cheers all.

Offline Alan Mercer

• Scientist
    • Alan's Wargaming Miniatures
« Reply #22 on: September 14, 2020, 10:52:39 AM »
I hear ya, but the WA set does provide some useful additions even if it is just hand/weapon transplants.

My Youngest son has just handed me some old Project Z sprues on which there are all kinds of AKs, M16s etc, which might work for the modern era.

The Warlord Bolt Action sprues provide a source of more pulp era useful weapons, although not early interwar.

Most plastic sets have fixed bayonets which is a bit of a pain.

I suppose when I have fiddled together some examples they will have to be on several boards.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #23 on: September 14, 2020, 11:04:50 AM »
To be fair, the Perrys have strictly labelled them 1800-1900, so can't really blame them :)
If they'd included some C20th rifles, someone would probably have complained there were no AK47's and Mujahiddeen hats.
I don't think the Desert Rat Lee-Enfields will work, as those WWII sets are a good bit smaller than the rest of the Perry plastic range ('true 1/56 scale')
Other manufacturers' weapon sprues may be a better bet.

There was some suggestion on a videocast/podcast that they might consider adding AK47's, Lee-Enfields etc etc in metal but i ought to emphasise that this was said in passing live on a podcast.

Still, it might give some folk hope :)

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #24 on: September 14, 2020, 02:04:23 PM »
Love your new figures.
Outstanding job of painting them.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline JBaumal

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #25 on: September 14, 2020, 02:13:49 PM »
Excellent brush work sir!!! I’m currently working on some Afghans and some Ghazis for my 2nd Afghan War project. I honestly wasn’t going to get these until I saw your post since I have about 60-80 lead unpainted. But seeing how well they came out I must order some. I will most definitely add some more modern rifles for my 3rd Afghan War project as well.

Offline THE CID

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: September 14, 2020, 03:12:51 PM »
Richard you are a very naughty boy, tempting me and most likely succeeding to get me into another period and I don't paint plastics. It's looking like I'm going to have to bite the bullet.
The Afghans are your usual little works of art, beautiful by the way.
Ive seen things you people wouldn't believe - Roy Batty.

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #27 on: September 14, 2020, 04:12:44 PM »
Thanks Alan. I fear mixing the WA set in with these would be like putting Trabant spares on a Porsche ;) They look like chalk and cheese to me. These Perry figures look like authentic North West Frontier tribesmen. The WA set looks to me like someone's vague idea of what North West Frontier tribesmen should look like. The detail looks soft and the posing peculiar. Apart from that... :)

Nicely done

I have to agree with you there I purchased a couple of sprues of the WA  Afghans thinking to use them to supplement my Foundry Baluchis for Darkest Africa. They where nasty odd proportions, tiny hands and arms that didn't fit well together about the only decent thing on the sprue where the shields I wouldn't soil Perry perfection with WA bits....

Offline RedRowan

• Scientist
« Reply #28 on: September 16, 2020, 07:07:39 AM »
They look fantastic.

Steve

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #29 on: September 16, 2020, 10:00:21 AM »
Thanks fellas :)

I've built a few more Perry plastic Pathans. Started to get a bit more creative with this second lot :)

The Mullah and the Ghazi

Straight builds from the set, but it's about picking your components and how you pose them to create distinctive characters :)

The Imperial interlopers...

A bit of minor kitbashing here.

1. On the left - it's old Flashy by God! In one of his demmed native disguises! lol

I saw this turbanned head with the 'tache on the sprue and instantly thought 'Flashman!' (Or some other British political agent, fetchingly attired in romantic native dress).
I've swapped a British infantry officer's revolver hand onto the end of the right arm in place of the Afghan flintlock pistol, and shaved down the foot wear so that once painted, instead of bare legs and slippers, he'll be wearing Arabian Nights style boots. He carries the ubiquitous Khyber knife in his left hand.

2. On the right - a member of the Corps of Guides - essentially a Perry British Infantry 1877-1885 body and arms, with a NWF tribesman head. Also had to shave the folded glengarry off the backpack/greatcoat.
Interestingly, the British infantry set is uncharacteristically willowy amongst the Perry plastic sets, whereas the tribesmen are more chunky, so he perhaps looks a whisker top-heavy? But we'll see how he looks once painted before doing any more.

The Jezzail men...

A cunning marksman, and a headman yelling orders to advance... Nothing clever about these really, but I'm happy with how they look :)
The separate puggaree / turban tails are a lovely and versatile touch that let you add particular character and dash / movement, depending on where you position them.

Painted soon hopefully...