Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:17:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Somewhere on the eastern coast of Africa...  (Read 1610 times)

Offline anch_io

• Bookworm
Somewhere on the eastern coast of Africa...
« on: August 27, 2020, 04:05:01 PM »
...Wilhelm Augustus von Schleiermacher, a scientist, a painter, an adventurer and in general a really fine chap is discussing the finer aspects of forthcoming expedition into the heart of Africa with an unnamed sailor who offered his services as a guide, when they were startled by the sound...

Luckly, it was Captain Reinhold with much needed supplies and military reinforcements...

They did have some trouble getting to the camp...

But it was nothing that brave sailor could not manage...

Von Schleiermacher did not want to suffer any more delays, so he quickly assembled the askaris...

...and off to Congo the expedition went.

...probably just in time.

And the group shot of my Congo European Adventurers faction... It took me about a month to paint them all. All criticism is of course welcome...

Next, some Congo cannibals. But first, I have to paint some Blood Angels for my kid...  :)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
Re: Somewhere on the eastern coast of Africa...
« Reply #1 on: August 27, 2020, 07:37:08 PM »
Good Stuff. Nice to see your project moving on. Those Copplestone Germans really are very nice aren't they?

Offline juergen c. olk

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: August 28, 2020, 09:15:32 PM »
Very nice.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #3 on: August 28, 2020, 11:01:02 PM »
Lovely stuff.  :-*

Every picture oozing with narrative  8)

Offline anch_io

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: August 29, 2020, 05:57:44 PM »
Kind sirs, thank you for your comments... As you can probably see I am still quite deficient in African terrain, but I intend to do some jungle/savanna terrain in near future. I bought a ton of aquarium plants and blue insulation foam and I just wait for the next quarantine to happen...  o_o

In the meantime, I have received some Foundry pygmies and adventurers from their Darkest Africa range (I bought it on e-bay, Foundry's shipping prices to Europe are quite insane) and they are just beautiful. Can't believe they are more than 20 years old. Mark Copplestone's designs really stand the test of time...

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #5 on: August 30, 2020, 10:26:11 AM »
Kind sirs, thank you for your comments... As you can probably see I am still quite deficient in African terrain, but I intend to do some jungle/savanna terrain in near future. I bought a ton of aquarium plants and blue insulation foam and I just wait for the next quarantine to happen...  o_o

In the meantime, I have received some Foundry pygmies and adventurers from their Darkest Africa range (I bought it on e-bay, Foundry's shipping prices to Europe are quite insane) and they are just beautiful. Can't believe they are more than 20 years old. Mark Copplestone's designs really stand the test of time...

I look forward to seeing the new purchases painted up.

You're right of course, those Copplestone sculpts have certainly passed muster over the years up to this very day  8)

Offline Marine0846

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: August 31, 2020, 06:24:33 PM »
Excellent figures.
I really love the Foundry Dark Africa figure range.
Still fine figures after all these years.
Semper Fi, Mac

Offline anch_io

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: September 13, 2020, 10:09:37 PM »
Meanwhile... back at the river crossing

Ngoni have some trouble with local fauna.

Those are Deezzee metal crocodiles, and I am only half satisfied with them. I certainly could have painted them better, but I just really wanted to be done with them. They were probably the worst metal miniatures I've worked on in the last ten years due to the insane amount of flash. I just could  clean them properly and make them to look right...

Oh well, they will work for some Congo scenarios...

Next on the painting table - some Congo cannibals. I hope they'll be here soon...  ;)

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 14, 2020, 07:09:34 AM »
They look decent enough to me. I picked up a load of African animals, as set dressing, for my African games and actually found them much harder to paint then people. I have some Zebra that have sat on my painting desk for months becuase I just can't get them to look right. I think there is a real knack to painting miniature animals and getting them to look natural.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #9 on: September 14, 2020, 09:53:23 AM »
Loving the narrative to all the images  8)

Offline anch_io

• Bookworm
« Reply #10 on: September 15, 2020, 09:56:03 PM »
They look decent enough to me. I picked up a load of African animals, as set dressing, for my African games and actually found them much harder to paint then people. I have some Zebra that have sat on my painting desk for months because I just can't get them to look right. I think there is a real knack to painting miniature animals and getting them to look natural.

Thanks. They actually look little better than in this photograph, but still... Nothing to write home about.

Well, the problem with painting wildlife animals is (for me at least) is that I do not live near wildlife. I have never been to Africa, I think that I have never even seen live crocodiles and the photos and the films on the internet are just not the same thing... Actually, given the circumstances, I think they turned out rather well.  :D

Loving the narrative to all the images  8)

Thanks! I try to make it more interesting than "these are my pictures".