Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 02:57:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: FFL North Africa - Arabs/Berbers/Tuaregs  (Read 1735 times)

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
FFL North Africa - Arabs/Berbers/Tuaregs
« on: September 15, 2020, 09:47:31 AM »
I am looking at French Foreign Legion figures from Artizan, which look very nice. Their range of Arabs/Berbers/Tuaregs is very limited however. I have therefore looked at Cast Away Arts Miniatures, who do a lot of Arabs/Berbers/Tuaregs, but their FFL range is limited.

So does anybody know if the Artizan FFL figures and the Cast Away Arts Arabs/Berbers/Tuaregs fit sizewise?

Any help will be greatly appreciated.

Offline malto cortese

• Scientist
  • Ein genie uberblickt das chaos
Re: FFL North Africa - Arabs/Berbers/Tuaregs
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2020, 11:25:37 AM »
I have plenty of both but from different series (WWII and Old West Artizans, Italian colonials from Castaway), so I am not sure whether my assessment might be useful or not. I love both of them but Artizans tend to be a bit chunkier and bigger, Castaways a lot slimmer. Then again, their FFL and Arabs might be different...
The secret of life is honesty and fair dealing. If you can fake that, you've got it made. Groucho Marx

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #2 on: September 15, 2020, 11:32:06 AM »
I have plenty of both but from different series (WWII and Old West Artizans, Italian colonials from Castaway), so I am not sure whether my assessment might be useful or not. I love both of them but Artizans tend to be a bit chunkier and bigger, Castaways a lot slimmer. Then again, their FFL and Arabs might be different...
Okay thank you. I think that the Artizan figures will be bigger then. Do you know if the fit with Redoubt in size?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #3 on: September 15, 2020, 11:43:29 AM »
My experience with Redoubt is that some of their ranges tower over regular 28mm figures (their Sudan range comes to mind - too big for my money to mix with Artizan), but some of them are okay. I used one of their ACW figures in a conversion to give a Foundry Sikh a zouave-style uniform and they worked perfectly together.

So I guess the answer is that it depends which Redoubt figures you want to use (not especially familiar with all their ranges, to be honest).

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2020, 12:01:10 PM »
My experience with Redoubt is that some of their ranges tower over regular 28mm figures (their Sudan range comes to mind - too big for my money to mix with Artizan), but some of them are okay. I used one of their ACW figures in a conversion to give a Foundry Sikh a zouave-style uniform and they worked perfectly together.

So I guess the answer is that it depends which Redoubt figures you want to use (not especially familiar with all their ranges, to be honest).
Okay thank you

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2020, 12:17:03 PM »
Don't know if these are any use Blaze Away miniatures, sold by Lancashire Games, do a range of 28mm Berbers/Tuaregs

http://lancashiregames.com/lg/28mm-berbers-/-tuaregs.html

Don't know how they match up with other ranges though I'm afraid

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2020, 12:55:02 PM »
If my memory serves, on one of the WorLard days a mate had a great set up using Artizan and Blazeaway (Lancashire Games) mixed together. They matched with the Artizan stuff but are little slighter, not so you would notice when painted up.

As I say, from memory :)

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2020, 02:32:34 PM »
If my memory serves, on one of the WorLard days a mate had a great set up using Artizan and Blazeaway (Lancashire Games) mixed together. They matched with the Artizan stuff but are little slighter, not so you would notice when painted up.

As I say, from memory :)
That sounds great

Offline warrenpeace

• Mastermind
« Reply #8 on: September 15, 2020, 06:00:40 PM »
When building up for FFL in the desert, it's a good idea to look at the Red Shadow section of www.warflag.com for ideas, information, and inspiration. There's stuff on figure availability and size comparison there as well. We've played with a lot of Old Glory. Figures used are described here:

http://www.warflag.com/shadow/cast/index.htm

Size comparisons are here:

http://www.warflag.com/shadow/cast/figuresize/figures.htm
Sailors have more fun!

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #9 on: September 16, 2020, 06:40:18 AM »
When building up for FFL in the desert, it's a good idea to look at the Red Shadow section of www.warflag.com for ideas, information, and inspiration. There's stuff on figure availability and size comparison there as well. We've played with a lot of Old Glory. Figures used are described here:

http://www.warflag.com/shadow/cast/index.htm

Size comparisons are here:

http://www.warflag.com/shadow/cast/figuresize/figures.htm

There is some good information on those pages - thank you

Offline italwars

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2020, 11:05:11 AM »
The Redoubt French Foreign Legion and arab/Tuareg figures are a good solution but they re quite big ...probably very compatible with the very big Artizan figures..Castaway are my favourite but quite small ...did you consider , with an eye to your wallet, use and make conversions out of plastic GB Arabs, dervishes ecc?

Offline Saucy Jack

• Scientist
    • London by Midnight
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2020, 11:40:21 AM »
The Redoubt French Foreign Legion and arab/Tuareg figures are a good solution but they re quite big ...probably very compatible with the very big Artizan figures..Castaway are my favourite but quite small ...did you consider , with an eye to your wallet, use and make conversions out of plastic GB Arabs, dervishes ecc?
I have serious doubts about the Redoubt castings - look a bit crude to me. Castaway it will be I think.
Had thought about GB plastics, but don't think I will end up with something that I like.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2020, 03:58:17 PM »
I have serious doubts about the Redoubt castings - look a bit crude to me. Castaway it will be I think.
Had thought about GB plastics, but don't think I will end up with something that I like.

I only have baggage for my Sudan project from Castaway but the quality of the casting is very good. They have some quite unique stuff too, not so sure about the North African front as I haven't checked..... which I kind of should have done given that some of it might be good for the extra baggage etc.