Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:45:15 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: 6 mm Dungeon Tiles WiP  (Read 1608 times)

Offline dddd99

• Assistant
6 mm Dungeon Tiles WiP
« on: September 19, 2020, 09:33:00 PM »
Hi All,

This is a work in progress (so things will not look 100% finished). Recently, I have been getting the urge to play some dungeon crawls / wilderness crawls, but I wanted to be able to play outside on my patio table. Since I am playing outside I wanted it to be small and portable. Due to wind considerations, I decided to make it magnetic.

I plan to spend some lazy Autumn weekend days playing some solo rpg.

This is what I came up with so far. See attachment. I am using 6mm fantasy figures from Perfect 6 and am planning to buy some more (they're in the painting process). Also I may add in some 6 mm microworld figures too as time goes on.

I have learned a lot so far. It is kind of small so I think it takes longer to build... maybe not, however, I sawed all those dowels by hand so that was the most time consuming part. I have learned I need to make more walls. Also I am planning to make closed doors and open doors by making something to slide over the wooden walls to give the illusion. Based on my research this is considered more of a "2.5 D" style of presentation.

Anyone try anything like this? Am I crazy for 6mm? Any recommendations/comments/questions please let me know.

Offline Splod

• Mad Scientist
  • Flittering from one project to another
Re: 6 mm Dungeon Tiles WiP
« Reply #1 on: September 20, 2020, 12:05:54 AM »
6mm is maybe a tad on the small side for fantasy skirmish in my books, but you do you!  :D

Looks like a great start though, and I can't wait to see where this goes!

In planning out your progress, I thought I'd flag some suitable options among one of my favourite sci-fi ranges. They generally come in larger packs, but you might be able to reach out and get smaller samples?

Onslaught Miniatures:
Armoured lizardmen
Flesh demons
Demon hounds
Assorted dark elves and constructs
Warhounds

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #2 on: September 20, 2020, 12:22:14 AM »
Very nice

Offline dddd99

• Assistant
« Reply #3 on: September 20, 2020, 02:32:31 AM »
Thanks, LouieN.  :)

Splod, also thanks for the encouragement. And thanks for your recommendation for Onslaught miniatures. They look great and I will definitely be getting some! I never heard of them. Also, I have 6mm sci-fi collection so these will probably serve a dual purpose.  :)

Right now I have about 100 6mm minis primed and partially painted. Once I get further I will post 'em here.

I have made my first door prototype tonight and will paint it and test it tomorrow. I will show an update. One thing I realized is that I need a lot more corner pieces and wall pieces. So I will be making those too. Hopefully my door idea works and looks ok. Then I will need to mass produce them too. Fun, fun.

So I ran into a problem. I need a way to be able to remove the magnetic tiles. I tested tonight on a blank piece and I need something to grab onto. The wall pieces are fine since I grab the wall, but the blank rooms need something extra. I am testing a small tab in the corner to grab onto; these tabs will be hidden by the wall pieces. It is very stable. I can turn the playing surface upside down and nothing falls off (well I cannot violently shake it, but holding is fine).

Thanks again for the comments guys. Take care.

Offline LouieN

• Mastermind
  • "Aure entuluva!"
« Reply #4 on: September 20, 2020, 04:06:15 AM »
Here is some follow up. 

For the 2.5D system research the numerous, and fun, videos of DM scotty. 

DM Scotty

He does not do magnets but, you will get the concepts.  Yes, build lots of walls. 

2.5D walls

For 6mm figures I recently saw a company doing some amazing 6mm stuff, but I cannot recall where I saw it was it was not my scale.

still these microworlds minis are quite nice

https://www.microworldgames.com/collections/6mm-fantasy?page=3

if I find it I will share. 

luck

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
« Reply #5 on: September 20, 2020, 09:03:38 AM »
Cool!
I love 6mm skirmish.
I did several 6mm projects some years ago, mostly boardgames like Space hulk, Lost patrol and Heroquest.

I made all the board pieces from magnetic paper and based all the figures and scenery on it too.
At 6mm things are usually light enough that the magnetic paper is strong enough to hold things in place.
I can play that heroquest game on the door of my fridge if I want :D 8).

I look forward to seeing more of your project.
Cheers,
Stroezie.

Offline 6mmfan

• Mad Scientist
    • https://6mm.wargaming.info
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 05:27:05 AM »
Have you heard of Pocket Quest? Sadly its out of print but the rules etc are available to download for free here

https://ablogofwar.blogspot.com/p/pocketquest.html

Offline dddd99

• Assistant
« Reply #7 on: September 22, 2020, 03:35:14 AM »
LouieN, it is funny that you posted DM Scotty I already stumbled across him. I instantly recognized him when the search went in. So in addition to his videos I also found some other excellent videos from others as well. So I am trying to steal ideas when I see them. :)

As far as other minis go, yes I am planning another order for Perfect 6 as well as Microworld. I have never bought from them before, but have heard good things. Also, the Onslaught minis that Splod recommended are looking better and better as I look at them more.

Stroezie, yes the magnets hold very well since the 6mm guys are so light, so fridge play is cool haha. Anyway, really like your setup ... I haven't gotten to furniture yet.

6mmfan, yes I have heard of Pocket Quest! Perfect 6 used to sell it at their website. That is actually where I got the idea for this project. I just wanted it magentized for outdoor/travel play and that I can carry it without disturbing the setup on a small area. As far as the Pocket Quest rules I did try to download them recently. However, it appeared for only customers that purchased Pocket Quest; so I could never find a valid link.

Alright, so I made a door for the project, a prototype. It came out kind of crappy since it was misaligned and my construction process was not optimized. I took it apart, fixed things and then constructed it with better components, sanded it, etc. I will paint it to see how it looks. I will try to show it off tomorrow. Basically, the door "clips" over the wall. I stole this idea from someone I cannot recall who, but he achieved great effect by not just making clippable doors, but mounted torches, book shelves, art paintings, fireplaces, etc.

So that is where I am now: more corner/wall/door constructions. Thanks for all the comments everyone. :)

Offline Stroezie

• Scientist
    • Planet Ares VI
« Reply #8 on: September 22, 2020, 08:32:30 AM »
Clipable doors 'n stuff, check out Wyloch's channel, I don't know if he invented them but he sure did perfect the technique.
https://m.youtube.com/playlist?list=PLOt6UN-cmqk3YZvK5lhVt3Hh67R-C8BiF

Cheers,
Stroezie.

Offline Mallo

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: September 27, 2020, 12:51:59 PM »
Fantastic stuff.

I've made a start on my own dungeon crawler at 6mm years ago but not found the time to finish it, though I've been constantly buying new bits for use with it still!

I've mostly only finished my molemen, green marble tiles and corridors and a not-smaug Dragon treasure hoarder! I've a few photos up on my blog:

https://6mmfantasy.blogspot.com/2017/12/6mm-dragon-in-treasure-room.html

Offline dddd99

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2020, 11:15:49 PM »
So it has been about one month since my last post in this topic. Life has been interesting since then. I found out my wife is pregnant (planned) and we are expecting our second kid so needless to say I have not had much time to work on this project, but I did find some time here and there.  :)

To respond to recent posters:
@Stroezie: I found Wyloch too, but based on your suggestion I went back and watched some of his stuff and there is so much good stuff there. I did use his suggestion to texture the clippable doors before paint. So all around good videos.

@Mallo: yes that is the hard part finishing. :) My basic goal is to get to the minimal playable state; then at least I can use it while adding here and there. I wish you the best of luck with future progress.

So onto my update. While working on this and just living life I said I need some more reading material so I went out and bought some dnd books I had in the 90s. Some were off ebay and some were POD from drivethrurpg. Nothing like some good childhood nostaglia to inspire you.

So I sawed the dowels again to build more corner pieces, doors, and walls. Then some of them I had to glue together, for example making the corners. In the image attached you can see how I cut things up in a little assembly line. The smallest feature is 3mm which was hard to cut with my mini handsaw. That is what took so long.

So I assembled the corner pieces and doors. I then textured the doors and painted everything all up.

Looking back at my previous layout I could muster about 5 rooms. Now I can get about 12. So I can say I more than doubled it. I plan to add some more rooms, but this ones will be "standard" rooms, with the walls permanently glued to the room tile. This reduces flexibility, but I can already make pretty flexible designs.

So the next steps are to build some of these "ready-built standard" rooms. Paint the doors up completely. Detail paint everything. Then do final assembly of the tiles. Then I can get back to painting the figures.

Anyway hope you guys like. Take it easy. :)

Offline thenamelessdead

• Scientist
  • I've made a huge mistake...
« Reply #11 on: October 25, 2020, 06:51:36 PM »
Looks excellent. I like the walls atop tile idea, that has got the old gears turning...