Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 18, 2024, 07:37:36 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Crusader the Ion Age - is coming soon  (Read 5432 times)

Offline WitchfinderGeneral

• Mad Scientist
Crusader the Ion Age - is coming soon
« on: March 22, 2007, 05:29:56 PM »
I'm not doing much “news” stuff in my weblog, there are other sites that do that job better. But today I found something on the web I think that needed to be mentioned. And because nobody's reading regularly my blog I'm posting it also here.

Crusader the Ion Age is the new game that’s coming out soon (and I hope really soon!) from Alternative Armies.
It will be on platoon level and one 28mm mini representing one man.
Their website says it is “depicting the Human Confederacy and their Crusaders, the ancient Khanate Empire and their allies; with more alien races being released as time progresses.” – This sounds to me like the basic idea of 40k Rogue Trader!
And now look at some of the figures

Absolutely awesome!!
At least to me. :D
I just love this old figure style, mixing 80’s spaceflight outfits with Roman Empire and Steampunk elements.
"I'd like to send this letter to the Prussian consulate in Siam by aeromail. Am I too late for the 4:30 autogyro?"
"Uh, I better look in the manual... This book must be out of date. I don't see "Prussia", "Siam" or "autogyro"...

Offline PeteMurray

• Parapsychologist
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Cardinal Murray
« Reply #1 on: March 22, 2007, 05:44:16 PM »
Well, that's because these are 80's models. "Ion Age" was previously incarnated as "Firefight," and is a pretty thin 40k clone. Alternative Armies' minis are pretty crude, even by the big head/early Citadel style of things.

Certainly for some old-skool Rogue Trader style action they can't be beat, particularly since Citadel committed the old Space Marines and Orks to the Memory Hole. But the game itself isn't going to be very impressive, and I would hate to pay retail for the miniatures themselves.  :?

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #2 on: March 22, 2007, 05:51:31 PM »
Very lovely minis, very tempting!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: March 22, 2007, 06:15:25 PM »
Quote from: "PeteMurray"
Well, that's because these are 80's models. "Ion Age" was previously incarnated as "Firefight," and is a pretty thin 40k clone.

Yes, the Ion Age setting isn't new. I own the Firefight rules but never read them because it looked like you have to use certain floorplans. Anyway, I never came across those figures and can't wait to get some of them! And for sure they're cheaper than getting old Rogue Trader marines from ebay. :D

Offline Bob da dowg

• Bookworm
    • http://www.obeliskminiatures.com
« Reply #4 on: March 22, 2007, 06:23:55 PM »
Some might think these minis are crude. Compared to nowadays products which all try to get into the "high end" category for masterpainters this is definitely true.

But they have a charm that you miss with a lot of recent products. The crusaders and the levy were done by Bob Olley. But seeing the rest I might guess that he's done them as well.

BTW the same types of models were done in 15mm and in "large" 6mm which were actually more 10mm than 1:300. The 15mm are now sold in batches by http://www.15mm.co.uk/caaa686.htm. The crusaders in 15mm look remarkably similar to the very old style Rogue trooper Space Marines by Bob Naismith.

You might think what you want but I personally think it's great to see them back again in production  - I got mine over the years for nearly nothing on eBay :lol:  :D

Given a half decent paint job (and that's easy with these minis) they look excellent!

Cheers,
Josef Ochmann
www.obeliskminiatures.com
In the dying light of civilization even dwarves cast giant shadows

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #5 on: March 22, 2007, 06:29:42 PM »
Oh, I´ve still got dozens of the Templars! Lovable. My only quirk is with their size, and they are pretty much incompatible even with 28s. Unless you want genetically-modified superwarriors.

Offline Prof.Witchheimer

• Elder God
    • Back of Beyond
« Reply #6 on: March 22, 2007, 06:37:22 PM »
Quote from: "Bob da dowg"
But they have a charm that you miss with a lot of recent products.

seconded!

Offline Bob da dowg

• Bookworm
    • http://www.obeliskminiatures.com
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2007, 07:01:00 PM »
Quote from: "Westfalia Chris"
My only quirk is with their size, and they are pretty much incompatible even with 28s. Unless you want genetically-modified superwarriors.

:roll: It's SF, innit?

So what about these 2mm more - BTW you get more metal for less money :lol:

Bdd a.k.a. JO

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2007, 07:04:25 PM »
Weeell, to my eternal shame, I originally bought mine as "not-Space Marines"... :oops:

Nowadays that I have far more uses, I´m still taken aback by their size. If you look at it the positive way, it makes them unique.

But what the hell, I´ve got a big bag full of the guys and wouldn´t want to part with them, so you can tell I really like them. :)

Offline Goldwyrm

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: March 25, 2007, 04:51:08 AM »
I've got about 60-70 each of both the Khanate Empire and the Free Crusaders in 28mm, and about as many in 15mm as well. IMHO, these figures have aged much better than other lines from around that time.  They should have done much better in the market back in the old days, but the rules that went with the figures were a bit anemic and they didn't have the marketing impetus of GW.

There also used to be an accessories pack with helmets, packs, and weapons. I hope they release it again. It was great for conversions and those cool helmets fit perfectly on MkVI plastic beakies from the Rogue Trader days.

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #10 on: March 25, 2007, 09:57:52 AM »
Ok you can say they have there own style but also in the 80th there where the secund choice .
And Guys if I want to have Space M. I buy from the ``company that should not be named``
Why?
because ther figures are better than that !!

so I can´t understand why someone will re-relese these figures .

Grimm
ttps://www.facebook.com/pages/Grimms-Hangar/196455560521708

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #11 on: March 25, 2007, 11:14:18 AM »
Grimm, have you looked at the "original" Space Marines somewhen in the last 20 years? Today the GW Marines are looking like a big load of plastic crap.

But if you like, I'm always willing to trade a brand new 10 figure Space Marine box against 10 of your boring, ugly and old Rogue Trader Marines.   :mrgreen:

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: March 25, 2007, 12:04:28 PM »
Quote from: "WitchfinderGeneral"
Grimm, have you looked at the "original" Space Marines somewhen in the last 20 years? Today the GW Marines are looking like a big load of plastic crap.

And to think that the Plastic SMs are by far the best of their "multipart plastic kit" monstrosities! :D :lol:

Offline Grimm

• Two-time LPL Champion (Season 2 and 3) Supporting Adventurer
  • The Colonial Tales Winner
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Grimms-Hangar on Facebook
« Reply #13 on: March 25, 2007, 01:02:38 PM »
Hey Guys I don´t like the Plastik SM but these old ons are also not my favorite
Models .
I will get me more Pulp stuff .

But WitchfinderGeneral the offer of your Plastik SM is a attack to my person  :lol:

so if you like these figures that is ok for me and I think we can have ,after all ,a nice game with them  .

cheers Grimm