Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:03:27 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686618
  • Total Topics: 118114
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: SAGA Age of Magic - Battle Report  (Read 1325 times)

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
SAGA Age of Magic - Battle Report
« on: September 21, 2020, 09:41:52 AM »
After getting my new little room and table set up I played a game of solo SAGA AoM. This time I opted for High Elves using the Great Kingdoms battleboard and The Undead lead by The Necromancer. Once again it was a great game and I'm really impressed by the way Age of Magic lends itself to a very narrative game. The gme turned out a bit different to what I expected but it worked out well.

Please have a read on my blog at: http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com/2020/09/the-necromancer-comes-forth.html

Below is a link to my blog. It's the place where I write uninteresting things about little toy soldiers. I do this because I refuse to grow up and behave like an adult.

http://this28mmlife.blogspot.com.au/

Offline Bearwoodman

• Mad Scientist
Re: SAGA Age of Magic - Battle Report
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 09:29:01 PM »
A great looking battle, I especially like those undead cavalry with the red tunics!

Offline Aesthete

• Librarian
    • Dispatches from the Miniature Front
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 10:42:51 PM »
Nice report, great looking table and minis!

Can you talk a bit about your process for playing solo games? I keep mucking about with the idea, but I'm never quite able to pick a system. You say Saga lends a bit of a narrative aspect to the game - is that due to the unpredictable nature of the Saga dice + abilities?
Dispatches from the Miniature Front - my occasionally updated blog

Offline Melnibonean

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Boiled Beans
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 11:20:02 PM »
A great looking battle, I especially like those undead cavalry with the red tunics!
Thank you. They are from FireForge.

Nice report, great looking table and minis!

Can you talk a bit about your process for playing solo games? I keep mucking about with the idea, but I'm never quite able to pick a system. You say Saga lends a bit of a narrative aspect to the game - is that due to the unpredictable nature of the Saga dice + abilities?
Thanks. My process is that I just play the game. I try to play each side to their best capacity depending on the situation. I do this for various games. Some games work for solo play and some games don't. I don't have any preference for which side will win. All the figures are my own and I want to see all of them win.

As far as "narrative" goes, I start playing the game and I take photo's. I start to think what I'll write to go with the photo and the situation. Sometimes unexpected things happen and I weave that into the narrative (like the elf queen casting a powerful spell in the above game). Also, if the good guys win I'll do the write up as a great victory over evil and if the bad guys win I'll do the write up as a grim tragedy. How the game payed out and the photo's I take will tell the story.