Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 05:51:32 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686609
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 665
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Company/Battalion Size Vietnam Rules?  (Read 2209 times)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Company/Battalion Size Vietnam Rules?
« on: September 21, 2020, 10:28:07 AM »
Good morning. Many years ago I bought a mass of Skytrex “Action 200” 1/200 Vietnam vehicles, helos and riverine assets.Thirty years later I have still not found a decent set of rules that caters for “big battles” at say battalion level. Most Vietnam era rules seem to be “large skirmish to company level”.

Does anyone have any recommendations?

Thanks

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
Re: Company/Battalion Size Vietnam Rules?
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2020, 10:52:06 AM »
There’s always the old Command Decision. In it’s final iteration, Test of Battle it was a fairly elegant game that could handle multi battalion/ brigade level ops. The ToB forum seems to be still active and a number of folk there had made modern variants. Anything by  Frank Chadwick/ Greg Novak is always worth a try. We used Comand Decision back in the late ‘80s early ‘90s to do The Falklands War.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline Paul @ Empress Miniatures

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2020, 11:25:21 AM »
Cold War Commander may work. I have them but have never played them but they have a huge following which suggests something.  ;)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #3 on: September 21, 2020, 11:33:39 AM »
Chaps,

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I’m not familiar with Command Decision and rather put off by the £40 price tag. I have the WW2 version of the “Commander” rules but am no great fan.

My problem with Vietnam is that I guess it isn’t just WW2 or Cold War set in SE Asia. I have lots of old “Vietnam skirmish” rules ( eg Bodycount) which tried to emphasise  “hidden movement” and “ambushes”.

I was interested to see if life had moved on since the ‘80s as regards Vietnam specific rules.

Offline Richard MARQUIS

• Assistant
« Reply #4 on: September 21, 2020, 11:38:38 AM »
Hello,
I would be interested to know this too because I am looking for rules allowing to replay a three companies battle like Dak To.

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: September 21, 2020, 01:34:36 PM »
Battlegroup WW2 Rules are working on a Vietnam Supplement.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #6 on: September 21, 2020, 03:28:24 PM »
Thanks. Yes I have seen a few posts with pictures of test games. They look more platoon level to me but as with the WW2 Battlegroup set maybe they will be able to cater for big games. I will be interested to see how they cope with “hidden” units as the current rules don’t cater for this.

Online carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #7 on: September 21, 2020, 08:18:40 PM »
Vietnam simultaneously is and isn’t like any other post war conflict. On the one hand if you are modelling the counter insurgency aspect, the sweep and clear style ops, then there’s a reasonable prospect that a number of your games would end with little found and minor casualties, often mine related. In that sense, it’s better gamed at a smaller scale. True of most modern insurgencies

That said by the US spent much of its time, particularly between 1966 and 1969 engaged in large scale, aggressive, operations. The North Vietnamese also spent a lot of its human and materiel capital in large scale ops, think Tet, Mini Tet and later the 1972 Spring Offensive. These were large scale, essentially conventional operations, which terrain and restrictions on interdiction aside could have been fought anywhere.

Your principle issue is coming up with victory conditions that reflect the real metrics of the war. In multi unit games, even if it’s just a battalion, the US and its allies will invariably have access to massive supporting fire. If you are using body count as your metric, as the US did for most of its time, then it needs to be weighted so that the loss of US and allied stands is worth far more than NVA/VC stands.  Other games, particularly the 1972 can have the holding of physical objectives as the primary benchmark of victory.

One of the reasons, I suggested Command Decision, apart from them being a good set of rules, is that Command Post Quarterly, the associated series of supplements, had a vey good and detailed scenario for the multi-battalion USMC Operation Starlite. That was an early operation against the entire 1st VC Regiment. Tanks, choppers, amphibious landings, terrain difficulties, massive fire support it has the lot.

Offline robh

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spanish offworld colonies
« Reply #8 on: September 21, 2020, 10:19:10 PM »
 "From the Delta to the DMZ"
https://gomidesigns.co.uk/Vietnam?product_id=60 or available as a printed copy if desired.

There is a review of sorts here:
http://www.deepfriedhappymice.com/html/rd_from_delta_to_dmz.html

They are designed specifically to play higher level games and give a very different type of game than the more common bottom up, personal experience type of rules.

Offline tallyho

• Assistant
« Reply #9 on: September 22, 2020, 06:53:59 AM »
As I'm the author of From the Delta to the DMZ I can tell you they will work perfectly for battalion level games, with plenty of period feel and cliffhangers.

"From the Delta to the DMZ"
https://gomidesigns.co.uk/Vietnam?product_id=60 or available as a printed copy if desired.

There is a review of sorts here:
http://www.deepfriedhappymice.com/html/rd_from_delta_to_dmz.html

They are designed specifically to play higher level games and give a very different type of game than the more common bottom up, personal experience type of rules.

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #10 on: September 22, 2020, 10:15:27 AM »
Thanks. I dropped Gomi a question this morning asking if the PDF comes complete with the cards, chits and QRF as the hard copy seems no longer available.

I also recall hearing rumours of a version 2 which would cover riverine actions. This was one reason I held off buying this edition when I found them a year ago....and then forgot about them!

Offline fastolfrus

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 22, 2020, 09:10:39 PM »
Peter Pig has a set for search and sweep missions aimed at about 50 figures per side.
Also has an option for NVA/VC attacking a firebase
Gary, Glynis, and Alasdair (there are three of us, but we are too mean to have more than one login)

Offline darthfozzywig

• Librarian
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic.
« Reply #12 on: September 23, 2020, 02:00:03 AM »
You might want to have a look at Fistful of Tows (FFT3). Handles battalion-sized actions well, including combined arms, helicopters, etc. Worth looking into if you want to anything from WWII through WWIII. :)

Came across this Vietnam FFT3 battle report recently: http://soundofficerscall.blogspot.com/2013/12/lz-mike-vietnam-fft3-battle-report.html

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: September 23, 2020, 04:29:36 AM »
Thanks.  I have the Peter Pig rules but they seem to be more platoon or two level to me.  I have tried FFoTs for 1980s Cold War and I didn't particularly like them. Some interesting mechanisms but not terribly readable.

I'm hoping Gomi reply to me as they seem by best option at the moment!

Offline darthfozzywig

• Librarian
  • When the going gets tough, the tough go cyclic.
« Reply #14 on: September 23, 2020, 09:06:32 PM »
Some interesting mechanisms but not terribly readable.

No argument there: they really could use an editor to rephrase and rewrite.