Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 05:20:34 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Netflix series Barbarians.  (Read 10347 times)

Offline Von Stroheim

• Scientist
Netflix series Barbarians.
« on: September 25, 2020, 12:35:50 AM »
New series Barbarians on Netflix next month.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1mBnYJcZJ-A

Offline Inkpaduta

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mastermind
Re: Netflix series Barbarians.
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 02:26:52 AM »
Looks good. Thanks for sharing.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 02:39:35 AM »
I love that it's apparently performed in the modern versions of the proper languages (German and Italian). The name is a bit generic, but maybe that means season 2 will focus on other "barbarians"? We can only hope!  :o
"Nice try, history; better luck next year."

Offline Coenus Scaldingus

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2020, 06:23:14 AM »
Definitely liking the use of German and Italian. Difficult to say much about it beyond that yet, but will certainly be watching it for a bit.
~Ad finem temporum~

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2020, 09:21:49 AM »
Looks to have potential, thanks for the heads up. A German production I believe, I have heard some Germans complaining about the use of High German. For a second there watching the trailer I thought, “Hey! What is Brutus doing there?”
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline FierceKitty

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 12:16:05 AM »
More dam' Trajanic shields! I'll pass.
The laws of probability do not apply to my dice in wargames or to my finesses in bridge.

Offline Captain Harlock

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 01:48:36 AM »
The use of italian and german language is refreshing for sure. I really hate the stereotype of the Romans with posh british accent. The trailer looks pretty ok, I will watch it. Im a sucker for historical series/drama anyway I watch even the most terrible stinkers  lol. I noticed a Lagertha from Lidl in the trailer. Lets hope that we wont have full shieldmaiden units like in Vikings  lol

Offline williamb

• Librarian
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 03:22:15 AM »
There is a brief moment near the 36 second mark showing a roman wearing an elaborate exercise/sports helmet.  Face fully covered.  Highly unlikely to be worn on a campaign.

Offline Maniac

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 04:24:56 AM »
I'll have to check it out.  It will definitely be Hollywood fare in places, which will not be good, but it may have other redeeming qualities.

Last Kingdom was terrible for armor and equipment, as well as scale, but the plot was decent.
On time, on target, or the next one's free

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 07:58:21 AM »
My wife and I greatly enjoy Last Kingdom but the costuming, particularly the armor, is very disappointing. Not even really coolthentic either, except for the Mercian Riders of Rohan.

Offline Johnp4000

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 11:09:09 AM »
If this is the series where they use civil rights leaders to make comparisons between current day America , the CSA and the Roman empire , I think you will be disappointed. Apparently the freedom loving democratic barbarians including Hannibal(not sure what he would have thought of being called a barbarian?)were fighting the Romans to rid the world of slavery. They seem to be unware that slavery existed in every ancient culture.

Offline Fremitus Borealis

• Scientist
  • Magister Discipulorum
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 12:03:08 PM »
There is a brief moment near the 36 second mark showing a roman wearing an elaborate exercise/sports helmet.  Face fully covered.  Highly unlikely to be worn on a campaign.

I figured it was a nod to one of the more famous artefacts from the Varian Disaster, which is exactly one of those. I've seen it up close at Kalkriese. You can even see where some German even came back later and peeled away the original gold foil covering. I admit I always kind of wondered what a guy was doing with it on campaign, but I guess people have brought crazier stuff to warzones 😁

Offline Muzfish4

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 03, 2020, 06:55:58 AM »
I figured it was a nod to one of the more famous artefacts from the Varian Disaster, which is exactly one of those. I've seen it up close at Kalkriese. You can even see where some German even came back later and peeled away the original gold foil covering. I admit I always kind of wondered what a guy was doing with it on campaign, but I guess people have brought crazier stuff to warzones 😁

I understand a lot of the academic though around the Varian disaster/victory (depending on your point of view) is that it wasn't a campaign in the strictest sense in that Varus thought he was moving through (erroneously as it turned out) a thoroughly pacified province and was collecting taxes and mediating in local disputes and suchlike as a provincial governor rather than actively campaigning against an enemy with a large standing army (or armies) in the field, hence the devastating surprise when ambushed. So it isn't beyond the bounds of possibility that extraneous junk was being carted about to impress locals* and keep the squaddies amused. That one of these pieces (that modern archaeologists refer to as 'sports equipment') has been found at the site lends credence to having it in the show.

*If memory serves Caesar has mosaics in his baggage when campaigning in Gaul to add a touch of home to his digs and impress locals with the benefits of Roman civilization.

Offline Westbury

• Mad Scientist
  • Gaming from Gondolin
    • Westbury Wargamers
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2020, 10:38:40 PM »
Oh dear :o

Offline Ockius

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: October 11, 2020, 09:20:16 AM »
If this is the series where they use civil rights leaders to make comparisons between current day America , the CSA and the Roman empire , I think you will be disappointed. Apparently the freedom loving democratic barbarians including Hannibal(not sure what he would have thought of being called a barbarian?)were fighting the Romans to rid the world of slavery. They seem to be unware that slavery existed in every ancient culture.

I had a look into it and that seems to be a different series, Barbarians Rising, from a few years back. I didn’t watch it but reading about it annoyed me. The rewriting of history to fit present day aims or ideologies really bugs me and it seems to be picking up lots of momentum.

My armies:
- Henry VIII's army (WIP) 15mm
- Ancient Germans (28mm)
- Ancient Belgae (Gauls with German allies) (28mm)
- Massilian Greeks (Greeks and Gallic mercenaries/subjects) (28mm)
- A few EI Romans (28mm)
- Handful of WW2 British (15mm)
- A load of old 1993-1999ish Warhammer Orcs and Goblins