Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 10:55:16 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Water Effects  (Read 686 times)

Offline Charley Bourne

• Bookworm
Water Effects
« on: September 25, 2020, 07:30:18 PM »
I'm looking for recommendations for good water effect products (the pourable resin type liquids).

Can anybody recommend:
- A good, reasonably priced product
- Any online tutorials for use

I am researching this on the internet but I value your opinions.

Thank you.

Offline AndrewBeasley

• Mastermind
Re: Water Effects
« Reply #1 on: September 25, 2020, 09:51:49 PM »
If you are in the U.K. then I would go for CFS Clear Resin for large areas where money is tight. (CFS Clear is a link but this darn editor does not show it).

The classic way to add ripples on the top is gloss Mod Podge (see video link below).

Some good tips for different types of water can be read here though there are many many videos on YouTube. (here is a link as is many many but only one shows).

I would avoid the Woodland Scenics 'Realistic Water' - it shrank badly on me and figures would leave circular rings from their bases overnight!
« Last Edit: September 25, 2020, 09:54:20 PM by AndrewBeasley »

Offline snitcythedog

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
    • Snitchys blog
Re: Water Effects
« Reply #2 on: September 25, 2020, 10:09:46 PM »
First my go to tutorial for resin waterways. 
https://hirstarts.com/tips17/tips17.html#water
In the US envirotex lite is readily available at Home Depot, Lowells or Ace hardware. 
In the UK I have had to order online.  My last two batches were Clear Cast Alumilite.
There are several methods for creating waves.  Modge Podge listed above is one.  Another in the link above and the one I tried recently is UV setting clear resin.  Quite a few manufactures out there so look around.  In all honestly it is best to mix up the methods I will use clear resin for the base, uv or two part resin for the large ripples and modge podge for the finer details.   
On the planning end just be aware that thicker resin pours can generate heat as they are curing so make sure that your materials in contact with it are not heat sensitive.  I ruined a demo board that I was making that way. 
A bottle of scotch and two aspirin a day will greatly reduce your awareness of heart disease.
"Never argue with a fool, onlookers may not be able to tell the difference"... Mark Twain
http://snitchythedog.blogspot.com