Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 03:27:05 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686499
  • Total Topics: 118103
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1:72 Conversion set for Hawker Hurricane?  (Read 2251 times)

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
1:72 Conversion set for Hawker Hurricane?
« on: September 26, 2020, 09:16:32 AM »
Hello clever people, years ago I made a Hurricane MkII kit (Airfix? maybe) and tried in my cack-handed way to convert it into a Desert War version with the little air-scoop thingy at the front ... which I did badly.

At this point you may have realised that I'm not a plane person and don't really know what I'm doing.

What I'd like to do is tackle the ugly, broken, dusty thing and try to rescue it somehow. I think it's a MkIIB Hurricane and I'd like to turn it into a badass MkIIC or D, or even a MkIV, with the big cannons sticking out, but with a proper desert air-scoop thing attached as well.

I know you can buy the cannons separately, but does anyone know of a single conversion kit I can get to rescue it, or is it a case of I have to do it from scratch or buy a new kit?
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
Re: 1:72 Conversion set for Hawker Hurricane?
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 10:24:50 AM »
I may have a whole (or the remnants of) Airfix Hurricane in my stash.  I will check this afternoon if it has what you are looking for.
'He could have lived a risk-free, moneyed life, but he preferred to whittle away his fortune on warfare.'
-- Xenophon, The Anabasis

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 10:30:20 AM »
Short answer; no :(  Which one with the big guns? The  MKIIc 20mm,MKIId had the 40 mm cannon,the MK IV 20mm,and a different engine. There are lot’s of bits and bobs,depends how far you want to go...

I’ll have to keep editing this post as I think... ;D
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 10:34:09 AM by Blackwolf »
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: September 26, 2020, 10:49:18 AM »
Short answer; no :(  Which one with the big guns? The  MKIIc 20mm,MKIId had the 40 mm cannon,the MK IV 20mm,and a different engine. There are lot’s of bits and bobs,depends how far you want to go...

I’ll have to keep editing this post as I think... ;D

I need a hug.

I really don't know, I just think the gun look cool, so I'm less bothered about them than the air-scoop whatsit. But if there were major structural changes as well as the different cannons and I wouldn't get away with it, I guess I'll just have to make my Hurricane stay as a Mk IIB and buy a new kit.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #4 on: September 26, 2020, 10:50:29 AM »
I may have a whole (or the remnants of) Airfix Hurricane in my stash.  I will check this afternoon if it has what you are looking for.

Thank you. It's more about the air-scoop thing (which probably has a less annoying name) than anything else. If I need to make my own from scratch I guess I could give it another go, but I'd prefer to take an easy option if possible.

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #5 on: September 26, 2020, 11:24:31 AM »
Vokes filter,oh and I’d give you one(hug),’tis a bit far though,and my wife may get cranky when I can’t get back in,Oz that is :)
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 11:28:15 AM by Blackwolf »

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #6 on: September 26, 2020, 11:57:09 AM »
Vokes filter

Aha! I am armed with the correct term. Annoyingly, eBay has a 1/32 one and then a bunch of 1/72 air filters for the 109! I think I might buy a new kit and perhaps try to press-mould one from the new kit, so I can have 2 Hurricanes.

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #7 on: September 26, 2020, 12:05:59 PM »
Best way to find out is punch in Vokes filter , Tropical filter or Just Hurricane into the Scalemates website search engine and then select 1/72.

Here you go:

https://www.scalemates.com/kits/airkit-enterprise-hurricane-ii-tropical-filter--1137552

Someone made an after market Vokes for the Hurricane.

That lets you know that such an item exists, whether it’s still in production is another thing although often enough if it is it will be listed under ‘Marketplace’.

I’d try ebay and Hannants.
Em dezembro de '81
Botou os ingleses na roda
3 a 0 no Liverpool
Ficou marcado na história
E no Rio não tem outro igual
Só o Flamengo é campeão mundial
E agora seu povo
Pede o mundo de novo

Offline carlos marighela

• Elder God
  • Flamenguista até morrer.
« Reply #8 on: September 26, 2020, 12:08:14 PM »
Just beware that if you haven’t used Scalemates before it can become the ultimate internet rabbit hole as you search for evermore obscure items on what is an incredible listing of model kits, decals, accessories and so much more.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: September 26, 2020, 01:35:02 PM »
I’d try ebay and Hannants.

Yeah, I found it on Scalemates, but nobody has one! Annoyingly, they do it in 1:48 and 1:32 but not 1:72. I bought a new Tropical Hurricane MkIIC and will just take a mould off the filter that comes with, then probably make the MkIIC and then try to convert the old one into a MkIID, which looks very cool.

Offline dadlamassu

• Mastermind
    • http://www.morvalearth.co.uk
« Reply #10 on: September 26, 2020, 05:59:14 PM »
Sorry, the Airfix one I have in the stash is the Mk IIB one without the Vokes filter.

I built the old Matchbox Hurricane Mk IIc/IId years ago it had with Vokes filter and 40mm cannon

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #11 on: September 26, 2020, 07:32:39 PM »
Sorry, the Airfix one I have in the stash is the Mk IIB one without the Vokes filter.

No worries, looks like I have a fun conversion project ahead. I'm going to try to build the cannons for the MkIV myself from ground-down wire. What could possibly go wrong?!

Offline Jemima Fawr

• Mastermind
    • Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog
« Reply #12 on: September 27, 2020, 07:09:33 AM »
The Mk IV (which started life as the Mk IIe) was introduced too late for the Desert War, only going into front-line service in May 1943.  It also didn't have 4x 20mm cannons (that was the Mk IIc).  It was designed to be a modular ground-attack aircraft, with hardpoints for the attachment of either 2x 40mm cannon (like the Mk IId), 8x rockets or bombs.  Its only MG armament was a pair of ranging-MGs for the aiming of the 40mm cannon/rockets.  It also had armour and a four-bladed prop.  It saw some active service in Italy, but was mostly used in Burma.
Suffering from insomnia?  Too much excitement in your life?  Jemima Fawr's Miniature Wargames Blog might be just the solution you've been looking for: www.jemimafawr.co.uk

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #13 on: September 27, 2020, 08:16:36 AM »
See, I told you I didn't know planes. I'll do the MkIID then. Hurrah!

Offline Just John

• Scientist
« Reply #14 on: September 29, 2020, 07:02:42 AM »
I 'might' have the parts you are looking for. I made one of these kits a few years ago but didn't use the filter or cannons. I don't throw anything away but it will be a case of if I can find them in various spares boxes. Leave it with me and I'll see what I can come up with.