Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 11:28:18 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690820
  • Total Topics: 118353
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Battle Report - Patrol Engagement Ardennes - CoC  (Read 1855 times)

Offline TacticalPainter

• Mad Scientist
    • The Tactical Painter
Re: Battle Report - Patrol Engagement Ardennes - CoC
« Reply #15 on: September 28, 2020, 05:04:29 AM »
Great stuff and good to see you enjoying the rules, I think they deliver a great experience. I’ve put together some thoughts on using the command dice

http://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2019/01/luck-or-skill-command-dice-in-chain-of.html?m=1

and on making the most of the patrol phase and deployment.

https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2019/12/playing-patrol-phase-in-chain-of-command.html?m=1

https://thetacticalpainter.blogspot.com/2020/01/deploying-in-chain-of-command.html?m=1

They might give some additional food for thought.

Offline PrivateBuzz

• Assistant
  • Too Fat Lardies fan.
« Reply #16 on: September 28, 2020, 06:07:46 AM »
Ahh, TacticalPainter...Thank you for those links. As it happens I have your page permanently open in Chrome and I constantly refer to it.

I love your AAR's. When and what will the next CoC campaign be?

However, despite reading all of your tactics, that doesn't stop them completely disappearing from my head the moment I am faced with a board and the pressure of a real opponent is on.

Jamie.
All the best!

Jamie.

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: September 28, 2020, 08:46:41 AM »
BALM - semi winterised would best describe it.  Collecting terrain and buildings is terribly expensive these days so I don’t want to plaster them all in snow.

Our compromise is a wintry feel to the base mat, all troops and vehicles winterised and much of the terrain will be autumnal...mostly with the ability to have a little snow sprinkled on if we feel it.  We are setting our scene in the opening few days of the conflict, before the heavy snow!

TP - thanks for the comments and Links.   Jamie had indeed been studying your tactical advice and had relayed a few choice bits to me.  When I get five, I will have a sit down with a good mug of coffee and enjoy the read - cheers.

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #18 on: September 28, 2020, 02:50:24 PM »
Digits I know the feeling just my Normandy/Into the Reich/Eastern terrain takes up a lot of space/time/my meagre funds and whilst I’d like winter versions I can’t see it happening any time soon. I think I’ve seen Piers (V) and Warwick playing winter games where they’d sprinkled snow over their normal terrain and vacuumed it up afterwards (maybe a low powered desktop or keyboard vacuum would work for this?).

BALM
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #19 on: September 28, 2020, 03:14:23 PM »
Yup....think I need to invest in one of those!  Good idea, cheers.

Offline gweirda

• Librarian
    • Brawlfactory
« Reply #20 on: September 28, 2020, 06:32:03 PM »
An option for a 'deep snow' scenario is to spread a suitable blanket over the table - some sprinkling with a bit of ballast/sand and brush/scrub makes for a decent board:

This is my quicky, slap-dash set up for the second scenario of Bloody Bucket (ugly hedges and not enough clutter/ground cover...aack), but included to show another advantage of going the cloth-over-hills tabletop: The elevation drop east(right) of the road (~12m iirc) can have a large LOS impact if it's included.

The method may also come in handy for the mentioned Tunisian theater in representing wadis/folds/etc to break up a possibly to-open battlefield?

PS- sorry for the hijack
« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 06:48:49 PM by gweirda »

Offline Shahbahraz

• Mastermind
    • A Lead Odyssey
« Reply #21 on: September 28, 2020, 06:54:16 PM »
The blanket plus scatter looks good. I have been tempted by the Ardennes and the Winter campaigns in Northern Germany with the excellent Empress minis, but been put off by having to redo all my terrain. This looks like a good way to 'winterise'.
Wargaming since the dark ages...

---https://aleadodyssey.blogspot.com/---

Offline Digits

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #22 on: September 28, 2020, 07:01:31 PM »
Don’t worry about hijack...good idea.