Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 12:44:29 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Questions about naval actions in VBCW  (Read 1503 times)

Offline BeneathALeadMountain

• Mad Scientist
Questions about naval actions in VBCW
« on: September 26, 2020, 07:34:35 PM »
Greetings mighty LAF’ers,

So I really enjoy the freedom of VBCW (it’s a pleasant, slightly ridiculous break from the rather more serious and depressing history linked to my other ‘main’ interest of WW2) and have various 15mm forces in the works for land battles but last night I had a thought: What’s happening to the navy in VBCW?

I don’t know a lot about WW2 naval let alone the VBCW side of it (I’ve only recently discovered the amazing General Quarters 3 and Action Stations) and need some help or ideas. I don’t imagine anything above destroyer level (although I’d be happy to be proved wrong) but can see a lot of possibility with small boats and converted fishing vessels. What destroyers would have been available? For the British I presume anything earlier than the Tribal or Town series but what about the French, Italian or Germans? I’d even be happy to do some creative fudging to bring some types production forward a few years to fit them in as long as I can justify it to myself (I really like Flower class ships and intend to find a way to wedge them in).

Is anyone already doing this? What would be possible or likely? How would you approach this? Am I aiming too large with DD’s and should stick to smaller stuff using Action stations?

Thank you for taking the time to read this, all help or advice greatly appreciated,
BALM
« Last Edit: September 26, 2020, 08:06:24 PM by BeneathALeadMountain »
Beneath A Lead Mountain - my blog of hobby procrastination and sometimes even some progress
https://beneathaleadmountain.blogspot.com/

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
Re: Questions about naval actions in VBCW
« Reply #1 on: September 26, 2020, 08:50:40 PM »
Am I aiming too large with DD’s and should stick to smaller stuff using Action stations?

Nothing wrong with aiming big...

Here is a thread on the Destroyer I built for VBCW...only a little one at just under 4’ long

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=12196.0

Then there was the carrier of course....HMS Argus....that was 10’ long.... took part in the Invasion of Hull game years ago.

My personal opinion is that the charm of VBCW is everything should have a fatal flaw....sure you can stick a big gun on your tank, but there’s no room for the ammo....by all means field an aircraft carrier but it’s got virtually no air defence and is a magnet for every plane, sub or crazed bloke in a rowing boat...you get the idea.

If you are talking small scale ships, then the same principle applies...crews could be under strength, resupply haphazard etc etc

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #2 on: September 26, 2020, 09:21:50 PM »
AKULA that is amazing! So now I’m thinking about building a 1/100 one  ::). I agree with the degradation of capability to fit in with the VBCW feel which is why I was worried that DD’s would be too big or powerful. I think that initially I’m going to aim for a couple older WW1 vets like V or W class DD’s (or other nations equivalents) and adjust the GQ3 unit card to its pre-war armament/equipment. I’m not aiming for fleet actions but as I’m new to WW2 naval I thought VBCW naval would be a perfect introduction as I’d only need a couple of ships and these actions could have a nice knock-on my land campaign from affecting supplies to troop movements. I can see a lot more use for converted fishing boats and small stuff but I’ve recently caught the destroyer bug and my imagination is having a field day  :)

Thank you for your help your thread was very inspiring,
BALM

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #3 on: September 27, 2020, 07:18:58 AM »
In 2017 I took part in our annual VBCW game at Salute with Tim Rose and Grant Fettis. That year it had a naval theme to the game and Tim brought along his boats and yes those are 28mm figures.
Overall it was an excellent game that we enjoyed and while I found these pictures on the internet I’ll try and dig out some more from my own collection of photos.

Offline AKULA

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Little Wars
« Reply #4 on: September 27, 2020, 11:40:29 AM »
That little carrier looks like a much more sensible compromise than the one I built  lol

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #5 on: September 27, 2020, 12:29:26 PM »
Wow, not sure how I missed those in 2017!

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #6 on: September 27, 2020, 02:55:50 PM »
Ewan that is brilliant and yes I’d love to see more pictures if you have them. I love the mini-carrier gives the right feel without swamping the table. I have a good collection of Wings of Glory stuff and fully intend for a couple of old WW1 beauties  to turn up (A brisfit maybe a camel or pup and the dastardly BUF have managed to get one/two D.VII smuggled into the Netherlands after armistice or maybe built in the early 30’s by the Comte factory and ‘borrowed’ from the fliegertruppe). I want to use the naval and air aspects to add variety (and keep my opponents interested) and to have knock on effects to the campaign or games progress.

Ultravillainsmurf I was asking myself the same question but now think that was the year I’d had to give up going to Salute as it was too much for me physically (it’s a shame as I loved going to it).

Brilliant, thank you chaps you’re really helping to maintain my motivation and enjoyment of my hobby, much appreciated,
BALM

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: September 28, 2020, 01:27:25 PM »
Here is the thread from the VBCW forum that shows the action
https://www.tapatalk.com/groups/vbcf/viewtopic.php?p=41707#p41707

« Last Edit: September 28, 2020, 01:44:55 PM by Ewan »

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: September 28, 2020, 01:46:43 PM »
Some more pics including Tim, Grant and myself
https://www.beastsofwar.com/liveblogentry/can-you-sink-our-carrier/

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #9 on: September 28, 2020, 03:15:34 PM »
Excellent stuff Ewan thank you for posting those links. Game looked brilliant fun I wish I’d been able to see it (I’ll have to find a way I can do salute without exhausting myself and making myself ill for a good while afterwards - maybe I can convince my club to do a minibus - if I ever get to go back into public  ::)). I still can’t look or think about warships without “left hand down a bit” echoing through my head  :).

Thank you all for you help with this you have really inspired me.

BALM

Offline Ewan

• Scientist
« Reply #10 on: September 28, 2020, 03:52:14 PM »
No problem, I'm always glad to help if I can.
The main thing is showing what can be done and the number of positive comments we got from naval wargamers was amazing.