Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 06:56:47 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689619
  • Total Topics: 118288
  • Online Today: 681
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Help with German military terms  (Read 3825 times)

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
Re: Help with German military terms
« Reply #30 on: October 11, 2020, 10:31:25 PM »
I think over the years the language of the Saxons in England drifted away from the northern germans (and the rest of germany). For example the word “little” came from the word “Litt” or “Lütt” in the northern german. In Germany now it is “klein”. So over 1000 years changed a lot of the words. Old words like “sword” stay near - in German “Schwert” (Or Bogen” close to “Bow” and “Shield” to “Schild”). I wonder if it is possible to find the roots in English. Is it only the “upper class”-words in official language like Laws coming from Norman language?
Victory Decision Vietnam here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=43264.0

Victory Decision Spacelords here: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=68939.0

My pictures: http://pictures.dirknet.de/

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #31 on: October 11, 2020, 10:44:34 PM »
The word meet certainly has a Germanic root.
May the Wolf  Walk With You
http://greywolf1066.blogspot.com.au/

Painting Clubs Joined: APC,MPC, PPC,PAPC,LPC.

Offline Captain Blood

• Global Moderator
  • Elder God
« Reply #32 on: October 11, 2020, 11:15:30 PM »
Is it only the “upper class”-words in official language like Laws coming from Norman language?

Pretty much anything serious or official from any organisation that thinks of themselves as serious or official :)
It's a fascinating reminder of our history on these islands and still persists after 1,000 years, which I find quite incredible. Read almost any long, official piece of writing from almost any 'establishment' body in the UK, and you'll still find it stuffed with long words (and long sentences) derived from Norman French. It's the formal written language of English.
On the other hand, listen to any conversation amongst ordinary Brits in the supermarket or pub, and you'll virtually never hear those words actually spoken - they're all speaking the everyday language instead, using everyday words which are overwhelmingly derived from the Anglo-Saxon.

Sod all to do with wargaming, but interesting nonetheless, non? ;)

Offline Blackwolf

• Potato Cup 3 winner
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
« Reply #33 on: October 11, 2020, 11:27:27 PM »
 lol funny man Richard  :)

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #34 on: October 12, 2020, 05:36:56 AM »
Also he always told me that un- is Germanic and in- Latin/French origin. For example unbelievable (ger. origin) and inconvenient (lat. Origin).

German substantives today: Unbill, Unhold, Ungeheuer, Unmut, Unzeit,...
German adjectives today: ungenau, unheimlich, unerfreulich, unsäglich, unaufrichtig,...

I guess he was right...  lol

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #35 on: October 12, 2020, 06:06:51 AM »
German substantives today: Unbill, Unhold, Ungeheuer, Unmut, Unzeit,...
German adjectives today: ungenau, unheimlich, unerfreulich, unsäglich, unaufrichtig,...

I guess he was right...  lol

Pretty much so, cf. adjectives of Latin origin, e.g. inkontinent, inoperabel... I'll suspect it will be similar in other non-romanic languages that borrow words from Latin.

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #36 on: October 12, 2020, 06:35:40 AM »
Pretty much so, cf. adjectives of Latin origin, e.g. inkontinent, inoperabel... I'll suspect it will be similar in other non-romanic languages that borrow words from Latin.

Really? I was born north of the Limes - what is Latin? :D

Offline tomrommel1

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Galactic Brain
    • Wargamesgazette
« Reply #37 on: October 12, 2020, 07:24:53 AM »
Michi , I think Latin are the "sounds" our ancestors used to draw our swords to . At least north of the Limes that is...
In hoc signo vinces

Have a look at www.wargamesgazette.com

Offline Michi

• Galactic Brain
  • Hoist the colours!
    • Tableterror
« Reply #38 on: October 12, 2020, 07:36:58 AM »
Michi , I think Latin are the "sounds" our ancestors used to draw our swords to . At least north of the Limes that is...

lol

Offline Westfalia Chris

• Cardboard Warlord
  • Administrator
  • Galactic Brain
  • Elaborate! Elucidate! Evaluate!
« Reply #39 on: October 12, 2020, 10:57:33 AM »
Really? I was born north of the Limes - what is Latin? :D

Nekulturny barbarians, all of you.  lol

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #40 on: October 12, 2020, 11:35:07 AM »
Interesting that in the Germanic / Scandinavian languages, words similar to Knight / Knechte ('Cniht' in Old English) are all broadly similar, coming from a root word meaning 'lad' or 'servant' - which somehow evolved over the centuries into the very different accepted meaning of a professional fighting man of rank.
Whereas in the Romance languages there's a much more obvious etymological root from 'horseman' - hence chevalier, caballero, cavaliere etc., (and indeed 'cavalier' in English).
I guess this root is not dissimilar from the Roman 'equites' for the 'knightly' class of lower order bigwigs.
The Germans have the best of both worlds with 'Ritter / Reiter' from 'rider' (or horseman again).

In Sweden, "riddare" means "knight", both in the sense of a nobleman and a (heavily) armed rider. "Ryttare" means any sort of horse rider, military or civilian.
"Knekt" is the name we use, especially nowdays, for a lowly footman or common conscript.

I suppose we got these terms from German during medieval times. In old norse the term for an armed (bold) rider would be "ballriða" and a (sworn) warrior is "väring".

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #41 on: October 12, 2020, 11:41:34 AM »
Hey, as you make your way into your mid-fifties it won't be long before you qualify as 'Old Norse' yourself, H.   :)

(Sorry - From a man who only has two days of being in his 40s left to savour and is rather conscious of age right now.)

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline janner

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Laughing Cavalier
« Reply #42 on: October 13, 2020, 07:28:51 PM »
The earliest use of cnihtas to describe armed retainers appeared in the Laudian version of the Anglo-Saxon Chronicle (composed c.1100), it was not seemingly established in England until around 1300.

Offline NurgleHH

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
  • Spacelord
    • Victory Decision Vietnam
« Reply #43 on: October 13, 2020, 08:42:30 PM »
In Sweden, "riddare" means "knight", both in the sense of a nobleman and a (heavily) armed rider. "Ryttare" means any sort of horse rider, military or civilian.
"Knekt" is the name we use, especially nowdays, for a lowly footman or common conscript.

I suppose we got these terms from German during medieval times. In old norse the term for an armed (bold) rider would be "ballriða" and a (sworn) warrior is "väring".
I think “riddare” is “Ritter” in german, in german no difference between mounted or not mounted. And “Knekt” is used for a) “Waffenknecht” military or b) farmers helping Hand “Knecht”. So the tongue of the Swedish Vikings (Hammers) and the north german Saxon (nurglehh) has big similarities  ;)  Another word really the same e.g is Ikea  lol