Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 07:31:22 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686556
  • Total Topics: 118107
  • Online Today: 857
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Commercial: Battlegroup Token sets (Pacific, FOTR, etc.)  (Read 2019 times)

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Commercial: Battlegroup Token sets (Pacific, FOTR, etc.)
« on: September 29, 2020, 05:41:51 PM »
So, in typical tinkerer fashion, when I picked up Battlegroup again recently I designed a set of Soviet themed tokens for my WW2 Soviets.  This then turned into..."Well, I could make Americans for my buddy...and Germans for my other buddies...", etc.

Then some requests came in from people on Facebook, etc.  So I've put together the following token sets for Battlegroup.

Each set contains double-sided full colour tokens themed to a certain nation.  Each set contains a different background/icon, separate text and unique ground-attack aircraft silhouettes.  The tokens included are:

96x Morale Counters (the tokens you draw for battle rating)
7x Reversible objective markers (with the thematic nation and a main opponent)
1x Artillery spotting token (with a clock face for use with D12s if that's how you randomize direction)
8x or x9 Expansion tokens.  Each set contains either additional tokens for Fall of the Reich or for the new Pacific War expansion.  These can be swapped into the morale tokens (instructions included on the product pages).
45x Smaller tokens for unit status (Out of Ammo, Immobilized, Pinned, Reserve Move, and Ambush Fire)

Shown here, as an example, are the contents of the Japanese token set:

Currently available:

Britain (normal Battlegroup and FOTR)
Germany (normal Battlegroup and FOTR)
United States (normal Battlegroup and FOTR)
Soviet Union (normal Battlegroup and FOTR)
Italy (normal Battlegroup and FOTR)

USMC (normal Battlegroup and Pacific War)
Japan (normal Battlegroup and Pacific War)

All can be found here - and the pages all link to each other: https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com/2020/09/battlegroup-gaming-tokens-nationally.html

Disclaimer: These are made-to-order by The Gamecrafter.  They're currently running limited staff due to Covid so production times are longer than normal. When you place an order you can find your number in line on your order page.  Average production times are running around 10 business days, etc.  Also, as usual...international shipping is probably a kick in the nuts. 
« Last Edit: September 29, 2020, 05:47:51 PM by Elbows »
2024 Painted Miniatures: 166
('23: 159, '22: 214, '21: 148, '20: 207, '19: 123, '18: 98, '17: 226, '16: 233, '15: 32, '14: 116)

https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com
Find us at TurnStyle Games on Facebook!

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
Re: Commercial: Battlegroup Token sets (Pacific, FOTR, etc.)
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2021, 11:56:31 PM »
Adding to my Battlegroup game-aid series...I've just added a deck of 32 vehicle cards, used for monitoring vehicle ammunition (each with a reverse face to monitor any aircraft called in).

Comes in a set of 32 cards, 16 in grey and 16 in green.  These are dry-erase capable cards, though for longevity I'll probably put them in sleeves.

https://www.thegamecrafter.com/games/ww2-ammunition-aeroplane-cards

Check them out if you're into Battlegroup and looking for a solution!

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #2 on: January 13, 2021, 02:12:03 PM »
Great work.....but way too much counter clutter for my tabletop (rule designers need to 'clean up their act' IMO).  o_o

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #3 on: January 13, 2021, 05:53:53 PM »
The only counters on the actual table are the status tokens, but I fully recognize many folks don't love cluttery-components.  I just find that some nice tokens look better than MDF chits or dice! :D

Here is my Soviet set that I routinely use in an actual game.

While a bit more time-intensive I do think you could easily create 3D blast markers or more "attractive" options for Battlegroup if you were so inclined.  Hope that kind of thing doesn't put you off the game if you're a WW2 kind of person - it's a great system.   The larger tokens are the morale system and are drawn from a cup/bag and kept off-table (secretly monitoring the well being of your combat units).

The vehicle status cards wouldn't be kept on table either, off table of course. :)

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #4 on: January 14, 2021, 12:54:10 AM »
Frankly, those WW2 battlegroups were a lot larger than a platoon of infantry and some tanks. 

Rules titles seem to have no relation to the scale of the game they enable - COC? -(really, a chain of command with a couple platoons on an average size game board).

Elbow, I'm a graphics fan myself, and your textures here look excellent (hope you get some deserved sales) but this amount of counters is bordering on board game ground, and I like board games.

Offline Truscott Trotter

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #5 on: January 14, 2021, 01:39:29 AM »
Chain of Command?

You are sitting there as Company officer giving your orders to the platoon commander , who gives them to the section NCO's who then gives them to the men. You hope the orders are followed - sometimes they are.

Compared with most WW2 rules where every unit moves precisely to plan every turn.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #6 on: January 14, 2021, 01:54:05 PM »
You are sitting there as Company officer giving your orders to the platoon commander , who gives them to the section NCO's who then gives them to the men. You hope the orders are followed - sometimes they are.

Compared with most WW2 rules where every unit moves precisely to plan every turn.

So games that allow every unit to 'move' [more precisely worded  - activate] don't reflect a chain of command somehow?

Offline AdmiralAndy

• Scientist
« Reply #7 on: January 14, 2021, 02:19:11 PM »
So games that allow every unit to 'move' [more precisely worded  - activate] don't reflect a chain of command somehow?

Well its all tied in with representing Friction and fog of war and how no plan survives contact with the enemy.

Some view as IGOUGO for instance with everything moving more like a chess game with dice, is to much of an abstraction from the kind of conflict arising from a battle.

So more variable and even uncertain activation process is more representative.

Imagine Waterloo with Christopher Plummer as Wellington going, its ok we only need to wait till turn 5 then the Prussians turn up. Versus, Give me night or give me Blucher.

Ultimately a wargame is for a fun recreation so whichever way floats your boat its all up to the players. I've played both sorts of game, were every unit does as I want in orderly fashion and those where they don't. But the Command and Control and Friction is a game breaker for some.

Offline FlyXwire

• Scientist
« Reply #8 on: January 14, 2021, 02:55:48 PM »
I don't think I've ever played a game where every unit does what I want  - I'm just not that lucky of a roller, and my opponents never give me a break either, nor should they.

Does makes me wonder how we ever played wargames. 

Offline Elbows

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #9 on: April 23, 2021, 07:09:42 PM »
Added another set to the WW2 options for token sets.

German Fallschirmjaeger Tokens

All sets are linked here, including some for NORTHAG players:
https://myminiaturemischief.blogspot.com/2020/09/battlegroup-gaming-tokens-nationally.html