Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 09:50:11 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Pathans and artillery  (Read 1880 times)

Offline princeman

• Librarian
Pathans and artillery
« on: September 29, 2020, 09:00:37 PM »
Thanks in advance but I am certain that there are members who can save me time and answer this question.
Did the Pathans use artillery and if so what kind?
Thanks,
Greg
A man aughta do what he thinks is best.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
Re: Pathans and artillery
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2020, 09:40:54 AM »
Thanks in advance but I am certain that there are members who can save me time and answer this question.
Did the Pathans use artillery and if so what kind?
Thanks,
Greg

Well, Perry do a set and Foundry (used to do a gun which I can't find now) but do a set too:
Perry Afghan Tribesmen Gun:
https://www.perry-miniatures.com/product_info.php?cPath=23_96&products_id=3519

Wargames Foundry:
https://www.wargamesfoundry.com/collections/the-north-west-frontier-1880-1908?page=2

Hope that's of some help?

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2020, 10:07:49 AM »
Well Pathan is the Urdu word for Pashtun, which loosely can be interpreted as "Afghan", and we know the Afghan state had a regular army. So technically the answer is very much yes they did. As for the hill tribesmen, it's not in my area of knowledge, I have no idea. But Atheling, the Perry brothers and Foundry sure seem to think so.  Don't recall much if any mention of artillery in the various accounts I've read, though.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2020, 10:20:45 AM »
The short answer is, yes, but only on rare occasions.

As just mentioned by Plynkes, artillery was more often employed by the enemy across the border during the three Anglo-Afghan wars of 1839-1842, 1878-1880, and 1919.  But there were rare occasions when Anglo-Indian forces on the North-West Frontier encountered an old canon of questionable operational value, in the hands of Tribal foes.  Re: what kind... they could be old Mughal, Persian, or British or Russian or the odd other European gun.  Surplus European arms were sometimes imported into Afghanistan, often through Turkey.  These old cannon are occasionally mentioned being used to help defend a village or fort, or to help attack a British fort or outpost.  The Afghan Regular Army's Artillery included a wide variety of ordnance, much of it surplus British Army pieces delivered when relations were going well.  During the Second Afghan War they also had at least one battery's worth of commercially purchased Armstrong 12 pdr Rifled Breech Loaders, which at the time were cutting-edge military technology, and which played a big part in the Afghan victory at the July 1880 battle of Maiwand.  But for Pathan tribesmen, outside a very special scenario, I'd go with the occasional antique gun to help defend a built-up area, or attack a British fort or outpost.

EDIT: Atheling has posted a pic of the Perry's awesome Tribal mountain gun.  It's small caliber makes it practical for use in the mountains and rocky terrain, and can also keep it from completely dominating the battlefield.  I think the they also make an Armstrong 12 pdr RBL with Afghan Regular Artillery crew.
"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2020, 11:22:36 AM »
I was just wondering how you guys pronounce the word 'Pathan' in your heads?

British officers with neat moustaches tended to say 'the wiley Pay-than' (with the second syllable rhyming with 'man') or Pay-thun (rhyming with 'Nathan'), I think. Interestingly, in India they pronounce it sort of like P'taan (rhymes with Bataan in the Philippines).  I know that because there were a couple of cricketing brothers (Irfan and Yusuf Pathan) of Pashtun heritage who played for India.

Yeah, I probably watch too much cricket. :)
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:43:12 AM by Plynkes »

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2020, 11:29:06 AM »

Pay-thahn (I thin that's the phonetic spelling lol)
cheers

James

https://www.oshiromodels.co.uk/

Twitter account -     @OSHIROmodels
Instagram account - oshiromodels

http://redplanetminiatures.blogspot.co.uk/
http://jimbibblyblog.blogspot.com/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2020, 11:31:57 AM »
But Atheling, the Perry brothers and Foundry sure seem to think so.  Don't recall much if any mention of artillery in the various accounts I've read, though.

Hey! I'm just going on the mini's  lol

Certainly the Afghan Army during the Second Anglo Afghan War outgunned the British at Maiwand with their comparatively modern Armstrong guns vs the British 9 pounders. The Armstrong's firing a heavier shell than that of the British guns. I have to admit that apart from info sent to me by a certain author of all things "Victorian Little Wars" re: RBL 40 Pounders that is the full extent of my knowledge at this stage. :)

Again from the Perry miniatures Victoria's Little Wars range; Afghan artillery with 12pdr Armstrong:
« Last Edit: September 30, 2020, 11:33:32 AM by Atheling »

Offline guitarheroandy

• Mad Scientist
    • Andy's Wargaming Blog
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2020, 12:59:25 PM »
I've read lots about the NW Frontier between 1860 and 1900 and Pathan artillery is very rare. I don't recall a single mention in the accounts of the Great Pathan Revolt of 1897 (the biggest one of all) , for example. But as others have pointed out, operations in Afghanistan are somewhat different, possibly due to the greater prevalence of fighting on the plains where artillery can be more dominant? (That's just a wild guess on my part, nothing more)

Regarding pronunciation, I always thought it was Puh-taan...?? 

Offline sukhe_bator

• Mastermind
  • bad hair day
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2020, 03:37:42 PM »
The Sikhs developed their version of the 9/12pdr Obusier de Montagne de modele 1828 in the late 1830s. The Perry cannon looks like a 3pdr battalion gun or the 9pdr SB predecessor to the Mule portable screw gun. The lack of artillery among the Pushtun tribes compared to the Sikhs and later the NWFF was a major factor in restricting their activities. It is more likely they had access to matchlock or percussion wallguns and possibly their mobile cousins the zamburaks(camel guns) from the arsenals of local forts or warlord strongholds. These were much like the jingalls used by the Chinese in the 1860s and were far more man-portable.
As has been stated elsewhere, the regular Afghan forces had access to conventional artillery but they had attendant logistical and transport problems which confined their activities to the plains or close to roads.
Warriors dreams, summer grasses, all that remains

Offline princeman

• Librarian
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2020, 05:43:06 PM »
Thanks to everyone! Outstanding information as usual from the members here.
Greg

Offline tallyho

• Assistant
« Reply #10 on: October 05, 2020, 06:33:03 PM »
Not accurate.

Its ph-tarn

Pay-thahn (I thin that's the phonetic spelling lol)

Offline OSHIROmodels

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Custom terrain a speciality.
    • Oshiro modelterrain
« Reply #11 on: October 06, 2020, 07:32:37 AM »
Not accurate.

Its ph-tarn

I know it’s not accurate but the question I was answering was how I pronounce it in my head.

Online Silent Invader

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #12 on: October 06, 2020, 08:00:09 AM »
Not accurate.

Its ph-tarn

Are you sure?

From Collins it sounds like it begins with a “pe” as in the beginning of “pear”.

https://www.collinsdictionary.com/us/dictionary/english/pathan
My LAF Gallery is HERE
Minis (foot & mounted) finished in 2024 = 0
(2023 = 151; 2022 = 204; 2021 = 123; 2020 = ???)

Offline Hammers

• Amateur papiermachiéer
  • Supporting Adventurer
  • Elder God
  • Workbench and Pulp Moderator
« Reply #13 on: October 06, 2020, 08:00:52 AM »

British officers with neat moustaches tended to say 'the wiley Pay-than' (with the second syllable rhyming with 'man') or Pay-thun (rhyming with 'Nathan'), I think. Interestingly, in India they pronounce it sort of like P'taan (rhymes with Bataan in the Philippines).  I know that because there were a couple of cricketing brothers (Irfan and Yusuf Pathan) of Pashtun heritage who played for India.

Yeah, I probably watch too much cricket. :)

I've always pronounced it "path'n", with the stress and pronounciation of a midwest american. Probably all wrong, I must  have picked it up on a Historicon convention.

Offline Arundel

• Mastermind
  • Galloping Outward Into the Weather!
« Reply #14 on: October 06, 2020, 04:39:43 PM »
Just to confuse things further: an old India hand once told me, emphatically, that the word is pronounced "pah-TAWN" or "pah-TARN." Take that for what it's worth!