Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 26, 2024, 09:29:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1690749
  • Total Topics: 118345
  • Online Today: 947
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Desert Legion  (Read 4197 times)

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
Desert Legion
« on: October 02, 2020, 03:31:25 PM »
I wasn't sure where to put this thread, but this section seemed best based on tech level (more advanced than Victorian sci-fi). This project will be a proxy Imperial Guard army for 40k with a theme of desert exploration and pulp adventure. 20s-30s tech level as far as style goes (though I will be a bit fast and loose with this). The force will include a lot of tanks and armoured cars as it's mainly an excuse to make use of a lot of very nice tank models as well as a lot of pulp era figures that I like but that did not quite fit in with my Napoleonic/Victorian themed Guard army. I may also include some camel riders because camels are neat :)

So far I've done one test model. I'm fairly pleased with it, although I may try to get the uniforms a bit lighter in future.

As far as infantry goes I have 30 of the Perry 'British Infantry in Afghanistan' and I plan to add to this force with Copplestone Castings figures as well as some from the 'Pulp Figures' line. If anybody has any suggestions for other manufacturers that might be worth a look at I'd be grateful for any information in that regard. 

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
Re: Desert Legion
« Reply #1 on: October 03, 2020, 09:43:43 PM »
I was hoping to get more painted up before I made any purchases but I saw these on ebay and couldn't resist buying a couple. I'll re-paint them in desert livery when I get my hands on them. 

Offline Mad Guru

• Mad Scientist
    • Maiwand Day blog
« Reply #2 on: October 03, 2020, 10:12:11 PM »
SpaceGoblin,

Sounds like a very original project.  I have another company to suggest, especially after seeing your c.1918-1939 armored car: Empress Miniatures.

They have an excellent and wide-ranging 28mm Anglo-Zulu War range that can fit with your Perry Infantry, and also a "JAZZ AGE IMPERIALISM" range you may find particularly useful, with relatively rare troop types and a wide range of "Interwar Vehicles", such as this Model T Ford:

Here's a LINK to their site:

https://www.empressminiatures.com

PS. They also have a Spanish Civil War range that includes more 1930s tanks & armored vehicles, and a range for the 1935-36 Italo-Ethiopian War, both of which might have some useful items for your project.

"We shall see what wisdom lies beneath my madness!"

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 09:09:30 AM »
Space Guru,
I'm rather looking forward to seeing what you come up with
So I'll proffer the idea of some of my sculpts .Take a look 1st Corps miniatures WW1 vehicle range , Follies,and Home front. Also there's a couple of tutorials I did over on tge tutorials board for traction engines and field guns that you might find useful as they use cereal packet card for speed and cost saving . Yet are transferable to plastic card or balsa wood .
It's not a shameless plug of my own stuff .Just some musings on what would easily transfer to such a project.
Witg that in mind and not wishing to derail your tgread here's a couple of pics.
I'd reccomend the French White armoured car as it has that Slightly VSF feel to it but in use from ww1 to and in ww2. The Rommfell is another armoured car that has a slightly miss placed look and feel to it ( Infact I use a converted one for my pulp league.)
Then on the 'primative ' Victorian looking side you've the Canadian Auto car. Also the Yeomanry Armoured car.Which would make a nice troop transport for your project as it's reminiscent of a Old school 40k Rhino.
If you want I can post a few more picks of the vehicles I think would work well. Or if you get stuck scratch building feel free to pick my brains(such as they are.)

Mark.

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 10:13:37 AM »
Thanks for the information and the tips, chaps :) I had a galnce at Empress Miniatures before but I must have missed that part of their range. I'll take another look :)

I doubt I'll go as far as building anything totally from scratch (except perhaps an airship at some point) but I'll take a detailed look at all that stuff. There's a tank I'm planning to do some conversion work on so I'm sure I can pick up some useful techniques from studying your tutorials :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 10:16:01 AM by SpaceGoblin »

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #5 on: October 04, 2020, 11:04:35 AM »
They don't take much time or effort. The deck gun took 20 minutes from start to undercoat.
I don't think Simon has a paintes White Armoured car on the site so Here's a pic of one of mine . Plus the Pulp version.
If you'd like an AA ring mount you'd have to ask them directly as its just sat in a mould rather than a release.
Dag's has one with a 50 cal on the front of his swamp boat.
Either way looking forward to seeing whatyou come up with.

Mark.

Offline Charley Bourne

• Bookworm
« Reply #6 on: October 04, 2020, 12:00:22 PM »

Offline Ingarsby73

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: October 04, 2020, 12:41:28 PM »
They don't take much time or effort. The deck gun took 20 minutes from start to undercoat.
I don't think Simon has a paintes White Armoured car on the site so Here's a pic of one of mine . Plus the Pulp version.
If you'd like an AA ring mount you'd have to ask them directly as its just sat in a mould rather than a release.
Dag's has one with a 50 cal on the front of his swamp boat.
Either way looking forward to seeing whatyou come up with.

Mark.

These are all wonderful! The pulp armoured car, Walrus and League of Extraordinary characters are particularly fantastic.

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
« Reply #8 on: October 11, 2020, 07:42:38 PM »
The first infantry squad is complete :)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #9 on: October 11, 2020, 11:46:54 PM »
Very nice I do like tones and colour choice. Definitely look as if you'll be able to use them for other project's as well.

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
« Reply #10 on: October 12, 2020, 01:40:34 AM »
Thanks! I'm pretty happy with how they came out, though I may add a little bit of static grass to the bases.

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
« Reply #11 on: October 31, 2020, 02:08:19 AM »
I've been working away on the 30 infantry that I have (27 done-getting there). Today I went to the storage place and gathered up some bits and pieces I've collected over the years that will be perfect for this project. Fistly a couple of tanks I've already built. An FT17 from Meng and a 'Girls Und Panzer' type 89. Both 1/35 so they'll be a bit bigger vs my 28mm figures but that's okay :)

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
« Reply #12 on: October 31, 2020, 02:12:48 AM »
Next, a couple of fighter planes. These are 1/48 scale and are from the movie 'Porko Rosso'. Very nice aircraft :) Need a re-paint in desert colours though.

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
« Reply #13 on: October 31, 2020, 02:19:23 AM »
Finally a couple of kits to build. These are pretty big tanks and as they are 1/35 scale they'll be real land ships when used with my 28mm figures  lol Hopefully they won't be TOO tough to put together.

Offline SpaceGoblin

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: November 04, 2020, 01:42:09 AM »
My first 30 infantry finished :)