Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 28, 2024, 12:12:33 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Rules recommendation for WotR big battles  (Read 3106 times)

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
Re: Rules recommendation for WotR big battles
« Reply #15 on: February 12, 2021, 06:41:43 PM »
Tree of Battles does look interesting, and anything by Simon McDowell is worth checking out. I will be "giving them a go". 

Offline bluewillow

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Bluewillow- Matthew Williamson
« Reply #16 on: February 13, 2021, 08:44:01 AM »
My local group tried Impetus and gave up on them, but I do know they have a loyal following. TTS has become our “go-to” set for ancient/medieval including WoTR but I know some think they don’t have enough period specific flavour. At the end of the day your troop types are largely longbow, bill and some knights. I think “Poleaxed” are quite old school but obviously have the bonus of being period specific.

Interesting which version the free Basic Impetus , the published Basic Impetus or Advanced Impetus?

Each is a different animal, the first two are like wanking in my opinion. You get a result but not very satisfactory. Basic is too vanilla and is designed for a forty minute to 1 hour game for club meetings and hard head competition players.

Advanced Impetus can give you a proper working over, you feel like you are in a seesaw or tumbler when hand to hand is thick. The same historical battle can have huge variances in results depending upon who has the initiative and good dice rolls, and by tweaking wards and adding or removing generals it really can be a nail biter. The scope for multiple movement in a single turn and well drilled troops really changes it and sold it for me.

Although not a tournament player I did attend a number of Advanced Impetus tournaments in Australia, only one tournament over three days was themed late medieval early Renaissance. My Yorkists done quite well running second. 7 win games and one draw, so I was happy with the results.

Advanced Impetus bought me back to Medievals after Warhammer Ancients fell on its sword locally, tried Hail Caesar but that is like eating the same biscuit with different looking armies, Art de la Guerre is really micro millimetre competition play. DBM just hang me...

Cheers
Matt
« Last Edit: February 23, 2021, 08:27:46 AM by bluewillow »

Offline tallyho

• Assistant
« Reply #17 on: February 14, 2021, 08:28:55 PM »
Surely hail caesar has to get a mention. Fast,flexible.

Offline Hincmar

• Bookworm
« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2021, 09:06:44 AM »

Hi,

I'm one of the chaps that SiWi is referring to with regard to the relative merits of TTS / Mortem et Gloriam for late 15th Century / WOTR gaming.

I'm a big fan of TTS and it always seems to give a very good game irrespective of the specific period.   However, I felt that using it for WOTR didn't quite recreate the "feel" that I was seeking for this period.

I have tried M&G a couple of times.   It is certainly unique, like TTS, but rather more complex.   I enjoyed the games but haven't played it since because TTS is the system we generally use.   However, I did think it worked very well for the late Medieval period, and posted an AAR here of a counterfactual game that I hosted with the premise that Edward IV really did persist with his invasion of France.   I have dug it out:

https://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=114828.msg1437046#msg1437046

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2021, 03:00:05 PM »
we have been using Never Mind the Billhooks - still works for big battles

Offline SJWi

• Mastermind
« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2021, 03:32:26 PM »
I must admit I have heard good things about “Never Mind the Billhooks” and have acquired a copy. However my figures are based for Impetus and hence not exactly compatible. Bit of a shame and a reason why I now base individually and use sabot trays.