Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 08:57:52 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: COMMERCIAL - WOTR Kickstarter  (Read 5838 times)

Offline Otto1485

• Bookworm
COMMERCIAL - WOTR Kickstarter
« on: October 04, 2020, 04:01:34 PM »
Hello fellow LAFers.

Advance notice that I'm planning to launch my WOTR Kickstarter hopefully within a month, I'm just finalising reward packages and sorting shipping costs.

Here's a preview of the miniatures that will be available. I've used the wonderful "Pete's Flags" to add a splash of colour (check out his eBay store)

Apologies for the composite photos - I'll be using better ones on the Kickstarter page.

I've had a full range sculpted by the very talented Drew Day-Williams, and I think he's done a great job of realising my vision for the range. The WOTR has always been my favourite period of English history and this is a dream I've had for a while now.

Foot Command

Mounted Command

Mounted Knights - with weapons in hand

Mounted Knights with lances

Hobilars/Scurrors

Foot Knights - open hand (so you can give them pole axes and standards)

Foot Knights with hand weapons

Foot Command - for your bow and bill units

Archers

Billmen

Crossbow with pavisse

Handgunners

Heavy Billmen/Pikemen

Artillery Piece

Stretch Goals - Noble Family, A Loyal Subject, Knights Arming, Marguerite D'Anjou and The Surgeon

Here are a couple of comparisons with the plastic Perry Miniatures figures so you have an idea of size and aesthetics

Hope you like

Please keep an eye on the thread if you're interested and I'll update with a "going live" date.

All the best

John

Athena Miniatures Ltd
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 04:08:42 PM by Otto1485 »

Offline Lord Raglan

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Abergavenny
Re: COMMERCIAL - WOTR Kickstarter
« Reply #1 on: October 04, 2020, 05:29:37 PM »
A fantastic looking all metal range. A perfect partner for either Perry Miniatures or enough variety for a standalone collection. 

This range has definitely pushed me back into gaming the War of Roses  :-* :-* :-*

Offline JollyBob

• Galactic Brain
  • I've only had a few ales...
« Reply #2 on: October 04, 2020, 07:58:34 PM »
Not bad at all!  8)

I must say I particularly like the foot knights half-handing their swords and the surgeon set is a lovely little addition.

Offline Cubs

• Galactic Brain
  • "I simply cannot survive without beauty ..."
« Reply #3 on: October 04, 2020, 08:39:10 PM »
Yeah, for me the vignette Stretch Goals are the big stars here. Hopefully they'll be available separately after the KS.
'Sir John ejaculated explosively, sitting up in his chair.' ... 'The Black Gang'.

Paul Cubbin Miniature Painter

Offline Otto1485

• Bookworm
« Reply #4 on: October 04, 2020, 09:17:01 PM »
They will Cubs.
My current plan is to give the sets free to Kickstarter backers if we hit funding goals and make them available as products post Kickstarter

ATB John  :)
« Last Edit: October 04, 2020, 09:40:05 PM by Otto1485 »

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 05, 2020, 01:42:20 PM »
This looks very interesting, and most unexpected!

I'm definitely interested in some of these for my late 15th century European project (so not actually WOTR).
Definitely the artillery.
Quite possibly the crossbows, handguns and archers.
Probably some of the cavalry. The light horse look interesting, and some of the heavy cavalry / mounted command combos could work their way into my Perry collection. I'd very much like to see more close up pics!

I haven't ever backed a kickstarter before, but I reckon I will with this. Even if its only a few select packs I'm interested in, I certainly would like to see it all released!

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #6 on: October 05, 2020, 02:48:42 PM »
very nice - recommend you get in touch with wargames illustrated and see if you can post on the NMTBH facebook page when the kickstarter launches

Offline Otto1485

• Bookworm
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2020, 01:40:08 PM »
I'm really indebted to Captain Blood for putting some slap onto the master castings I sent him a while ago.

You've done a terrific job with these Richard.

Hopefully it will give you an idea of how the figures paint up.

Firstly - archers, billmen and a foot officer

Archers

Archers with some of Richard's painted plastic Perry archers

Billmen and foot officer

Finally a comparison with Steel Fist, plastic Perry and metal Perry

In other news... I am hoping the Kickstarter will go live on the 1st November - I am waiting on Kickstarter approving the project

All the best

John

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #8 on: October 17, 2020, 02:07:43 PM »
Some very nice looking mini's.  :-*

I'm going to get all anorak-y and point out that the archer preparing to loose the arrow on his bow has the arrow on the wrong side of the bow. It should be on the left hand side of the stave as the archer looks at the bow. Across his arm if you like.

Apart from that little hiccup; all looks to be very promising and I will be keeping a close eye on this KS  8)

Offline Otto1485

• Bookworm
« Reply #9 on: October 17, 2020, 03:00:02 PM »
In my defence that's one of Richard's Perry archers... sorry  :(

I've gone for mine without arrows for ease of casting - a decision I had to make with Drew in the early days of sculpting.

I actually shoot a mediaeval war bow myself so I know where you're coming from - I was actually the subject for the pictures for the poses for the archers myself

ATB John  :)
« Last Edit: October 17, 2020, 03:34:12 PM by Otto1485 »

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #10 on: October 17, 2020, 04:37:47 PM »
In my defence that's one of Richard's Perry archers... sorry  :(

I actually shoot a mediaeval war bow myself so I know where you're coming from - I was actually the subject for the pictures for the poses for the archers myself

Sorry John, I wasn't trying to be censorious. I just thought it might be worth pointing out in the event that it could be amended prior to casting, but as you have indicated there's no need. I've seen the placement of the arrow askew on a couple of ranges in the past and it has personally put me off buying those particular archer packs, which is a shame. My apologies if I came across as brash- my interest in this range has in no way diminished.

I've gone for mine without arrows for ease of casting - a decision I had to make with Drew in the early days of sculpting.

The best choice I would think. I wish you all the best with the range. One cannot have enough Late. Med. ranges and I will certainly be making some purchases.

Offline nonsuch

• Bookworm
« Reply #11 on: October 17, 2020, 04:46:51 PM »
These are great
« Last Edit: November 17, 2021, 10:10:20 AM by nonsuch »

Offline bc99

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 17, 2020, 06:54:02 PM »
Good luck to your kickstarter. I’m going to back this because I like the crazy double hand overhead parry swordsman and boy with his k9 best friend.

Offline Charlie_

• Mastermind
« Reply #13 on: October 17, 2020, 07:38:43 PM »
Nice, it's really good to see some painted up!

I'll definitely be backing. I was originally thinking there were some I like a lot more than others, but to be honest I think I'll be getting the whole lot. Almost all of them will be able to find their way into my European project somehow. Especially the archers, either to mix in with my existing Perry / Crusader units, or as a new unit by themselves. Great stuff.

Concerning which side of the bow the arrow goes - I think there is actually lots of evidence in period artwork that it was SOMETIMES used the 'wrong' way. I saw a good youtube video about it....  ;) (with lots of examples of artwork). And the argument that the artists didn't know much about archery can be countered by the fact that all the arms and armour in these paintings are SERIOUSLY detailed. So it seems unlikely that the artist knew all about the intricate details of armour and how it was worn and how it looked from different angles in different poses.. but didn't know which side of the bow the arrow went. Anyway, I think the conclusion is that it might well have been used BOTH ways, though admittedly usually the 'right' way. I'll try and find the link if anyone's interested.

Interesting to hear that you are a shoot warbow yourself, and good to know that the poses are based on actual shooting. Because there is one I was not sure about - on your original archer picture, the first one on the second row down. With both his arms outstretched wide. You can confirms that's a 'real' pose then? Thought it looked a bit odd.... and I often see really strange archery poses on a lot of other ranges.

Offline Eric the Shed

• Galactic Brain
    • The Shed Wars Experience
« Reply #14 on: October 18, 2020, 09:09:19 AM »
They look great - and more importantly where is the link to the kickstarter please