Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 07:03:19 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1686614
  • Total Topics: 118113
  • Online Today: 777
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 12:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: Oathmark - Who's Playing?  (Read 64014 times)

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
Re: Oathmark - Who's Playing?
« Reply #75 on: October 20, 2020, 07:55:18 PM »
I bought once from Sarissa, they needed to be glued together while Warbases came pre-glued. I also found the Sarissa trays to be a really tight fit for the plastic bases I use, they are 125mm on the dot while Warbases adds a mil or two so that bases are easier to fit in the tray.

Offline Hobgoblin

• Galactic Brain
    • Hobgoblinry
« Reply #76 on: October 20, 2020, 08:07:50 PM »
@all Oathmark players:

Where do you get your trays and in what size / what number of ranks? I have based and will base all my Oathmark stuff on 20x20 square and am just now ordering some stuff from Sarissa Precision. If only I could decide how many ranks are worth getting fro which unit for the first games. I will probably order for what I have built so far and then some different spare trays on top. MDF luckily is not that expensive.

I won't be using trays for the most part because most of my D&D stuff is now based on 25mm squares. But I have been thinking a little bit about movement trays and their size, because I have a lot of these guys (old and very small Chronicle orcs):

They're based on UK pennies and I have various movement trays that fit them, including square and rectangular ones that give them a frontage of 25mm each, which is handy. You can see them in the distance here.

I realised the other day that my largest trays - 4 x 3 slots - provide the basis of an Oathmark unit when turned the other way round (3 x 4) and paired with a couple of smaller 2 x 2 bases, for 20 slots in 5 x 4 in total. That's fine for the biggest units, but I thought I might order a few more penny trays from Warbases (where mine came from), but in formations of 5 x 1, 5 x 2, 5 x 3 and 5 x 4. That way, units of various sizes could be fielded easily, and units could also be readily reduced or divided.

Besides the Chronicle orcs, I've got quite a few more smallish creatures based on pennies, including kobolds (goblin slaves?) and largeish 20mm orcs (goblin soldiers, perhaps?). So I reckon a small investment in a few more bases would get me more multi-scale and multi-game use out of those - and help us build up to some very big battles very quickly.

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #77 on: October 20, 2020, 08:19:11 PM »
I am using Renedra sabot bases.

I have two rank ones at the moment, though there are four rank ones (when I get enough built/painted).

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #78 on: October 20, 2020, 08:46:25 PM »
I bought once from Sarissa, they needed to be glued together while Warbases came pre-glued. I also found the Sarissa trays to be a really tight fit for the plastic bases I use, they are 125mm on the dot while Warbases adds a mil or two so that bases are easier to fit in the tray.

Many thanks for the info! The bit about the tight fit is particularly informative. Thanks!

I am a bit confused by the 20mm section on Warbases concerning the option "Depth Top Layer" which exists in parallel to the info "2mm or 3mm top layer required"... does that mean you could "stack" top players?
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 08:49:20 PM by Historiker »
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #79 on: October 20, 2020, 08:48:33 PM »
I am using Renedra sabot bases.

I have two rank ones at the moment, though there are four rank ones (when I get enough built/painted).

Yes those are great for round bases. I chose to use the "old school" WHFB 20x20 square basing style and unfortunately Renedra has only full blocks of 100x80 for that. Love Renedra though. Great Company.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #80 on: October 20, 2020, 08:51:28 PM »
I won't be using trays for the most part because most of my D&D stuff is now based on 25mm squares. But I have been thinking a little bit about movement trays and their size, because I have a lot of these guys (old and very small Chronicle orcs):

They're based on UK pennies and I have various movement trays that fit them, including square and rectangular ones that give them a frontage of 25mm each, which is handy. You can see them in the distance here.

I realised the other day that my largest trays - 4 x 3 slots - provide the basis of an Oathmark unit when turned the other way round (3 x 4) and paired with a couple of smaller 2 x 2 bases, for 20 slots in 5 x 4 in total. That's fine for the biggest units, but I thought I might order a few more penny trays from Warbases (where mine came from), but in formations of 5 x 1, 5 x 2, 5 x 3 and 5 x 4. That way, units of various sizes could be fielded easily, and units could also be readily reduced or divided.

Besides the Chronicle orcs, I've got quite a few more smallish creatures based on pennies, including kobolds (goblin slaves?) and largeish 20mm orcs (goblin soldiers, perhaps?). So I reckon a small investment in a few more bases would get me more multi-scale and multi-game use out of those - and help us build up to some very big battles very quickly.

I will definitely follow your approach in getting a few more bases to allow for flexibility and options of scaling games! Many thanks!

Offline Pattus Magnus

• Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #81 on: October 20, 2020, 09:08:17 PM »
I have tended to use 5x1 trays and 5x2 trays. My thinking is that those sizes give a lot of flexibility in representing Oathmark units as a 15 figure unit can have a 5x2 with a 5x1 behind it, or two 5x2s for a 20 figure unit. Then when the back tray is empty I can remove it so there is less of a ‘tail’ dragging behind big units that have suffered attrition. A 15 slot or 20 slot tray can’t really be used for much else.
« Last Edit: October 20, 2020, 09:22:47 PM by Pattus Magnus »

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #82 on: October 20, 2020, 09:15:51 PM »
@Pattus: Great thinking. Thank you!

I will probably still get the 15 for display purposes but will definitely get some more variations! As Ogrob said above, a 5 unit tray might even be practical on itself for elves!

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #83 on: October 20, 2020, 09:33:07 PM »
@all:

I have now ordered from Sarissa Precision and chosen:

4 each of the 5x1, 5x2, 5x3 and 5x4. This should allow for a lot of flexibility in setting up the first games. I imagine we will be starting our first games with a few tiny units.

Thank you all for the input. I will definitely share my impression of the movement trays here.

Offline SotF

• Mad Scientist
  • Shadow Of The Future
« Reply #84 on: October 20, 2020, 10:04:54 PM »
I'm considering getting into it...probably not with adding the plastics to the list until I've played it more since I've kind of found out I like the style of Reaper's Anhurians. Unfortunately, I've now got to figure out how to work out a tray for my cavalry since they're based on 2"/50mm bases...and it would be more of expanding the force I've got for Song of Blades and Heroes, and I'm not rebasing the force for it.

Offline Ogrob

• Mastermind
« Reply #85 on: October 21, 2020, 05:04:59 AM »

Many thanks for the info! The bit about the tight fit is particularly informative. Thanks!

I am a bit confused by the 20mm section on Warbases concerning the option "Depth Top Layer" which exists in parallel to the info "2mm or 3mm top layer required"... does that mean you could "stack" top players?

It's the thickness of the mdf in the top layer, so it matches 2mm or 3mm tall bases.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #86 on: October 21, 2020, 09:14:18 AM »
It's the thickness of the mdf in the top layer, so it matches 2mm or 3mm tall bases.

Many thanks! Please forget what I wrote - I was temporarily mentally not quite there after a too long day at the office. I applied the caption "Depth Top Layer" to the field below and not to the field next to it... it is astonishing how being tired affects even basic thinking  lol

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #87 on: October 21, 2020, 04:40:57 PM »
@Andrew:

Where did you find the info on Oathmark historical? I would definitely be up for that but as a German wargamer I am not that well informed on the English Wargaming publications. A pity really, as those are the best!

It's mentioned in the preview section of the current issue (451) as one of the articles due in next month's issue, which should be released, I think, on the second Friday in November. There's no detail on which period(s) will be covered, but i would assume it will be primarily aimed at the dark ages and medieval eras.

By the way, the cover priced has increased by £1, but the current issue, at least - which comes with a free plastic miniature for Carnevale - can be bought at the old price.

https://www.warnersgroup.co.uk/gaming/miniature-wargames/

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #88 on: October 21, 2020, 06:46:12 PM »
@Andrew:

Many thanks! Might check that out. Dark Age / Medieval would be kinda boring though. You could just play regular Oathmark with Humans vs Humans. Still, I expect this to be the case.

Any other period however would be REALLY interesting!

I will still be focussing on my Middle Earth-ish Fantasy version of Oathmark - gotta be somewhat consistent or there will never be a group of local players  :)

Andrew_McGuire

« Reply #89 on: October 22, 2020, 04:29:53 PM »
I've looked at the preview again, and noticed that the accompanying pic shows Romans, so perhaps the focus is a little different from my assumption. The issue is indeed published th esecond Friday in November, which happens to fall on the 13th, I'm afraid.

BTW there was a two-part article by the editor a few issues back about building an Oathmark goblin army, using the official plastic figures, with a Tolkien flavour, on which I based some of my own previously mentioned concepts. While John Treadaway - the editor, in case you don't know - finds the goblins suitable for Saruman's Uruks - other than the scimitars, which I slightly misinterpreted as applicable to all orcs, leading me to deprive my own figures of any kind of sword - they are too tall, in his view, for orcs of Mordor. He gets around this by using dwarf bodies with goblin heads and arms.