Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 02:21:28 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: (Kickstarter) Firelock Games Blood and Plunder Raise the Black  (Read 5057 times)

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
In case anyone missed it, the latest Kickstarter from Firelock Games just started. The hard plastic sloops and 28mm multi-part plastic sailors are tempting even if the game itself does not appeal to you. I am thinking of using them for a slightly later period project for example.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/firelockgames/blood-and-plunder-raise-the-black/description
Home of the Grumpy Gnome

https://thegrumpygnome.home.blog/

Offline pancakeonions

• Librarian
Re: (Kickstarter) Firelock Games Blood and Plunder Raise the Black
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2020, 08:58:19 PM »
I dove in!  The game looks really interesting too. 

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2020, 03:19:26 AM »
Thanks for sharing! I’ll be popping in here every now and then if anyone has any questions :)
Mike Tuñez
Firelock Games
www.FirelockGames.com

Offline MustContainMinis

• Librarian
    • Must Contain Minis
« Reply #3 on: October 07, 2020, 04:30:57 AM »
Over on Must Contain Minis I just wrote an article raising awareness of this campaign too. Please check it out at...
https://mustcontainminis.com/2020/10/blood-plunder-raise-the-black-kickstarter.html

Article at...
https://mustcontainminis.com/2020/10/blood-plunder-raise-the-black-kickstarter.html
Check out my site Must Contain Minis. I do news, previews, showcases and reviews of miniatures and miniature related products.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #4 on: October 07, 2020, 07:30:15 AM »
Hello Mike,

Congrats on your successes so far. Your company and it’s games seem to do very well and I am sure that is in large part down to the hard work you and your team put in.

I was very pleased to hear about your decision to do hard plastic multi-part plastic minis and ships. The sailors look great.

Do you have any photos of the sprue layout to share?

One of the stretchgoals I hope you reach is for another ship design. The sloops are great but perhaps something a bit bigger but ore modern than your galleon?

Maybe La Concorde, aka Queen Anne’s Revenge?

I need something to go with the ship I have coming from the Reaper Bones 5 Kickstarter you see...

Offline Sir_Theo

• Mastermind
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2020, 07:32:37 AM »
I'll probably be waiting till the retail release to pick up then plastic ships and expansion book, I have far too many Blood and Plunder things I haven't touched yet.

The starter set looks great though, and a good price.

Offline Grumpy Gnome

• Galactic Brain
    • The Grumpy Gnome
« Reply #6 on: October 08, 2020, 01:16:29 PM »
Ok, I see you have the proposed sprue layout for the sailors in one of your updates now. Very cool. For those interested.... update number 3.

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/firelockgames/blood-and-plunder-raise-the-black/posts/2979359

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #7 on: October 08, 2020, 03:03:56 PM »
I'll probably be waiting till the retail release to pick up then plastic ships and expansion book, I have far too many Blood and Plunder things I haven't touched yet.

All the more reason to back now! Lights the fire to make sure they get painted by the time this arrives ;)

The starter set looks great though, and a good price.
Hello Mike,

Congrats on your successes so far. Your company and it’s games seem to do very well and I am sure that is in large part down to the hard work you and your team put in.

I was very pleased to hear about your decision to do hard plastic multi-part plastic minis and ships. The sailors look great.

Do you have any photos of the sprue layout to share?

One of the stretchgoals I hope you reach is for another ship design. The sloops are great but perhaps something a bit bigger but ore modern than your galleon?

Maybe La Concorde, aka Queen Anne’s Revenge?

I need something to go with the ship I have coming from the Reaper Bones 5 Kickstarter you see...

Thank you very much! Always a good feeling when people appreciate the crazy amount of work we put into these things :)
Sprue images are up as you noted. Still a minor WIP, trying to squeeze in another musket! We actually already have a ship designed to work as the Queen Anne's Revenge/La Concorde, our 6th rate Frigate, which is currently available for purchase. There may just be a ship card for Queen Anne's Revenge included in the Box of Plunder as we carry on the campaign...
« Last Edit: October 08, 2020, 08:04:57 PM by El Frantico »

Offline Condottiere

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Mad Scientist
« Reply #8 on: October 08, 2020, 04:37:59 PM »
These will have the same proportions as the metals?

Will the musket and pistol stocks be thickened with the plastic versions? I took part in the first KS, like the figures and like and prefer metal, but the stocks looked too thin and while I understand these are scaled accurately, 3/4 came bent at 45 degrees. I know plastic isn't as fragile, but for pre-modern gaming, I prefer thicker stocks.     

Offline DivisMal

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • Ghazkull‘s Favorite Brainboy
« Reply #9 on: October 08, 2020, 07:39:30 PM »
It looks very tempting indeed! Could you post a picture with a scale? For those of us owning collections from the period to check the compatibility?

Thanks.

Offline El Frantico

• Librarian
    • Firelock Games
« Reply #10 on: October 08, 2020, 08:08:37 PM »
These will have the same proportions as the metals?

Will the musket and pistol stocks be thickened with the plastic versions? I took part in the first KS, like the figures and like and prefer metal, but the stocks looked too thin and while I understand these are scaled accurately, 3/4 came bent at 45 degrees. I know plastic isn't as fragile, but for pre-modern gaming, I prefer thicker stocks.     

In some cases, minimally yes. Only where necessary.

It looks very tempting indeed! Could you post a picture with a scale? For those of us owning collections from the period to check the compatibility?

Thanks.

Here's one I posted from out original Kickstarter. Scale will be the same.

Offline Pan Marek

• Scientist
« Reply #11 on: October 08, 2020, 10:35:07 PM »
B&P is a good game.  Its nice to see cheaper ships.  I may finally get a couple.  But while I like the move to plastic figures,
 $2+ per figure is hardly a savings over metal.   Plus, I'd like to see better, more close up photos of them, both painted and unpainted.  The posted photos seem to show rather stiff positions.

Offline Historiker

• Scientist
« Reply #12 on: October 08, 2020, 10:58:21 PM »
Being a hobby (and back in another era even trained) historian I have been waiting for this Kickstarter for a few months now and went all in.

I rarely (this being the second time) take part in a Kickstarter, because I find that it often features hype-boardgame-products which are just moderately interesting mechanics with adequate illustrations and tons of material.

This however is one of the rare cases in which I can see how Kickstarter helps a passionate company producing a well-thought out product with long-lasting appeal. It seems this will be just another beginning / next step for Blood & Plunder and I am glad I can be a part of it!
"The philosopher Didactylos has summed up an alternative hypothesis as: Things just happen. What the hell."

Offline Cat

• Mastermind
  • All Purpose Neko-Sensei
    • Goblinhall
« Reply #13 on: October 08, 2020, 11:50:00 PM »
Here's one I posted from out original Kickstarter. Scale will be the same.

I had asked on Facebook, the base heights are all different on these in the photo, what is the toe-to-eye measurement for a standard upright Firelock figure? 

Offline pancakeonions

• Librarian
« Reply #14 on: October 09, 2020, 03:32:15 AM »
I don't have any myself, but I've heard they're around 30mm (ie, scale well with Reaper minis, taller than Ghost Archipelago/ Frostgrave crewmen)

In this thread there's a link that compares some B&P figures to Reaper and North Star:

http://leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=127435.msg1610442