Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
April 19, 2024, 08:42:17 PM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Members
Stats
  • Total Posts: 1689726
  • Total Topics: 118291
  • Online Today: 810
  • Online Ever: 2235
  • (October 29, 2023, 01:32:45 AM)
Users Online

Recent

Author Topic: 1950s Soviet camouflage patterns  (Read 3494 times)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
Re: 1950s Soviet camouflage patterns
« Reply #15 on: November 03, 2020, 11:24:03 AM »
Sorry the point I was trying to make was go with your judgement if it seems off and the skin tones seem unnatural then it's likey someones tweaked the image.
The rusty leather brown colour is real . However your into the vagaries of production colour continuity.(like wallpaper you've got to get the same batch to ensure a colour match.) Age, lighting,and So on . So if you've a colour scheme from your collection of paints in mind and your happy with your colour choices and a plan to represent/interpret the pattern go for it.
Just for the fun of it here some of the issued colour schemes( not all) plus I've left the origin sites on the pictures to help your research.(I can never get a link to work  ::))
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 11:27:01 AM by tin shed gamer »

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
  • The East is a delicate matter!
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #16 on: November 03, 2020, 01:44:02 PM »
I've never seen anything like the summer camouflage suit in post # 13. I suspect this is someone's fantasy)))

"Amoeba" had differences in color, intended for different areas and seasons. Green background, black spots - summer, sandy color with dark brown spots - autumn. These are the main options. There were also options for the desert and for the highlands. This version of camouflage clothing was adopted in 1936.

"Deciduous forest". It was divided into summer and autumn variants. Amoeba-shaped spots may or may not have been present. Adopted in 1942.

"Palm". "Pixel" plant drawing in three colors + amoeba-like spots. Four options were produced for each season. Adopted in 1944.

"Birch". It appeared in 1954. Had two options - "Silver Leaf" (gray spots) for summer and "Golden Leaf" (with yellow spots) - for autumn.

Winter camouflage (except for "Palm") is always just white.

All other colors that you can see were not used in the army and were used by various civilian departments (forest protection, hunters, etc.)

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #17 on: November 03, 2020, 02:17:58 PM »
I know what you mean it's very stylized.However it's from a Soviet Dress regulations/manual that was 'borrowed' in the cold war. Translated to be used in an intelligence roll of unit and rank identification.
« Last Edit: November 03, 2020, 02:22:25 PM by tin shed gamer »

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #18 on: November 03, 2020, 02:54:36 PM »
Perhaps, but I have never even seen anything remotely similar.
Well, except that this is how the next Soviet camouflage "Butan" (1980s) is depicted, but then this is a very stylized image)))

« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 11:04:38 AM by cuprum »

Offline FreakyFenton

• Mastermind
« Reply #19 on: November 03, 2020, 04:36:47 PM »
From what I can tell there was that brown-ish "sweet potato" pattern. And I guess under different light the version with brown for summer could be seen as orange-y.

A quick google provided me with this.

https://www.camopedia.org/index.php?title=USSR

"No human being would stack books like -that-!" -Dr. Peter Venkman

Offline Ultravanillasmurf

• Galactic Brain
    • Ultravanillasmurf
« Reply #20 on: November 03, 2020, 10:32:49 PM »
That birch pattern is surprisingly effective (the South Ossetian Irregular in the Osprey publication "Elite 197: Russian Security and Paramilitary Forces since 1991" does look a bit silly).

Offline tin shed gamer

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #21 on: November 04, 2020, 10:11:54 AM »
There is some mention of a short lived three colour scheme. Supposedly similar to Butan. That was used until the late 50's( originally designed to combat ww2 German NV. )Which was then issued to the Albanian Army. Michael you may want to investigate it . As I've no desire to research further in that direction .As I've no doubt  it'll only lead to image's referencing Yugoslavia .
It's may be what the stylized image references. But its pure speculation.It could just as easily be the Bulgarian Splinter pattern as its that stylied an image.
Or more realistically just three colours thrown on an image as a generic representation of all issued camouflage's rather than a specific pattern/type.

Here's another Amoeba guide. To add to the on going collection.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #22 on: November 04, 2020, 12:30:38 PM »
I suspect that you are retelling the story of the Palm camouflage. It is about him that they say that it was developed in response to the appearance of night vision devices among the Germans. However, so far there is no evidence of this version. And in general, very few real documents on camouflage clothing have been found in the USSR army ... This is a poorly studied topic even in Russia.
Indeed, a large amount of camouflage clothing was transferred by the USSR to its allies in Europe. But it would be strange if among them there were a suit of unknown, and therefore extremely rare colors.
But the fact that the artist took camouflage clothing from one of the Warsaw Pact countries as the basis for his illustration is quite possible. But I am not very familiar with the uniforms of these countries ...
Here is a topic on the Russian forum of militaria collectors, dedicated to the issue raised here. It was the enthusiasts there who created the table on the colors of "Amoeba" given by you here. I advise you to look through - there are some interesting photos.

https://forum.ww2.ru/index.php?showtopic=4057982

My personal opinion is that during the production of camouflage suits in the USSR, no one adhered to strict regulations regarding dyes and the color of the fabric base itself. We took any available colors, more or less suitable for this product. Especially during the Second World War. In addition, a camouflage suit during this period is a "disposable" garment, not intended for constant wear. This is not an item of uniform - this is a "work" overalls (like a jumpsuit for a tanker). Hence the similar attitude towards uniformity of colors.

Offline cuprum

• Scatterbrained Genius
    • Studio "Siberia"
« Reply #23 on: November 04, 2020, 12:52:48 PM »
A small bonus)))
Tutorial for drawing camouflage "Deciduous forest" (here for some reason it is called "Leaf fall") 1/35:

https://translate.google.com/translate?sl=ru&tl=en&u=https://diorama.ru/workshop/features/85/
« Last Edit: November 04, 2020, 12:59:06 PM by cuprum »

Offline MiniPigs

• Librarian
« Reply #24 on: November 13, 2020, 01:59:11 AM »
If one were doing a sort of 1957 version of the film Red Dawn and wanted a sort of loosey-goosey dystopian Russian camo uni on WW2 Russkies in pajamas, do members prefer the Sweet Potato color, the Red Dawn film pattern or the "Leaf" pattern?

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #25 on: November 13, 2020, 09:22:30 AM »
If one were doing a sort of 1957 version of the film Red Dawn and wanted a sort of loosey-goosey dystopian Russian camo uni on WW2 Russkies in pajamas, do members prefer the Sweet Potato color, the Red Dawn film pattern or the "Leaf" pattern?
I like this idea :D
I would vote 'Other' and go for the camo scheme than Tin Shed Gamer posted on page 1. The 'West' believed it existed so would be perfect.
The figure on the right appears to be another rendition

I like the idea of the Red Dawn film pattern, but it might end up looking too modern. Of those presented, the Sweet Potato has the potential to look good in a 'Cobra' style Hollywood baddie sort of way
Xander
Army painters thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=56540.msg671536#new
WinterApoc thread: leadadventureforum.com/index.php?topic=50815.0

Offline v_lazy_dragon

• Mastermind
« Reply #26 on: November 13, 2020, 09:36:07 AM »
(as a 'loosey-goosey' idea, Soviet Assault Engineers in body armour could make for very neat Hollywood Shock Troops)

Offline Mick_in_Switzerland

• Supporting Adventurer
  • Scatterbrained Genius
« Reply #27 on: November 13, 2020, 09:47:29 AM »
I like the Amoeba patterns - if you use bright green or sweet potato as a base colour, they are very distinctive on the tabletop.

I am glad that my 2006 guides are still being used.
Mick (Farnworth)