Welcome, Guest. Please login or register.
March 29, 2024, 09:34:02 AM

Login with username, password and session length

Donate

We Appreciate Your Support

Recent

Author Topic: Medium Paced and Based Afghan Tribesmen (Perry's)  (Read 2993 times)

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
Re: Medium Paced and Based Afghan Tribesmen (Perry's)
« Reply #15 on: October 10, 2020, 04:48:51 PM »
Perry metals have always been a nightmare for flash and such, with annoying little spikes and lumps sticking out all over the place. I can just about live with that because they are such nice figures, but the last ones I got from them had their guns bent and twisted all to shit too.

They may make some of the best figures, but they reach you in the worst condition. Can't think of a company I have bought from that are as bad.

With Cat-Like Tread
Upon our prey we steal...

Offline Ray Rivers

• Galactic Brain
« Reply #16 on: October 10, 2020, 04:58:47 PM »
The Perry's have some lovely figures but pretty much across the board they seem to be plagued with poor casting issues. I've heard the samurai are a nightmare!

Granted it has been awhile since I last ordered from them, but the Sudan metal miniatures I received from them were great castings. I think they even came in little boxes, if I remember correctly.

Offline Plynkes

• The Royal Bastard
  • Elder God
  • I killed Mufasa!
    • http://misterplynkes.blogspot.com/
« Reply #17 on: October 10, 2020, 05:03:49 PM »
They still come in those little boxes, Ray. I've got dozens of the bloody things.

Don't know why I hang on to them. Hopefully they'll come in handy for something one day.

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
    • Just Add Water Wargaming Blog
« Reply #18 on: October 10, 2020, 05:35:25 PM »
That's a real shame. The Perry's have some lovely figures but pretty much across the board they seem to be plagued with poor casting issues. I've heard the samurai are a nightmare!

My guess would be that it is not by design that some castings aren't great. I think that they have such a load of casting to get through on a daily basis that even keeping up with having new moulds made might be difficult. Of course, that's just my guess.

If I can afford it at the time and it's a period that holds interest for me (i.e. I will eventually paint them) then I tend to try and buy when the mini's have just been released to get the fresh castings.

Offline ARKOUDAKI

• Mad Scientist
« Reply #19 on: October 10, 2020, 10:54:30 PM »
 :-* :-* :-*Those came out really nice Darrell!!!!!!!!!!!

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #20 on: October 11, 2020, 08:21:58 AM »
:-* :-* :-*Those came out really nice Darrell!!!!!!!!!!!

Thanks Rob.

I'm still working on just out how to paint them to the right level for the 'job'. It's trickier then I thought...

Offline Diablo Jon

• Mastermind
« Reply #21 on: October 11, 2020, 06:19:46 PM »
Those are great you've done a  cracking job.

Perry metals have always been a nightmare for flash and such, with annoying little spikes and lumps sticking out all over the place. I can just about live with that because they are such nice figures, but the last ones I got from them had their guns bent and twisted all to shit too.

They may make some of the best figures, but they reach you in the worst condition. Can't think of a company I have bought from that are as bad.

I received an order from Perry's this week, for a project I have in mind, I ordered from three different ranges (ACW, Sudan and war of the Triple Alliance) and without fail they are a mess of flash and bent rifles. I know they will take a lot of work to clean up but they do look good when they are painted. (Well when they are painted by someone as talented as Atheling.)

Offline Deedles

• Mastermind
    • One man & his brushes
« Reply #22 on: October 11, 2020, 06:23:24 PM »
Very nice
Cheers
Deedles

One day the lead mountain will be gone.... one day

http://onemanhisbrushes.blogspot.co.uk/
http://blazingdice.blogspot.co.uk/

Offline Atheling

• Elder God
« Reply #23 on: October 11, 2020, 07:16:58 PM »
Thanks Deedles :)

I received an order from Perry's this week, for a project I have in mind, I ordered from three different ranges (ACW, Sudan and war of the Triple Alliance) and without fail they are a mess of flash and bent rifles. I know they will take a lot of work to clean up but they do look good when they are painted.

Yeah, they are definitely worth it in the end. The only real rival's the Perry's have are Mr Hicks and Mr Bickley.

I suppose, then it comes down to it, this might sound odd (moi?  lol ) it really depends on what sort of mood I'm in. If I'm raring to go I can happily clean up miniatures all day (though that did kind of fail today/this Sunday). If I can't be bothered then it's usually last on my list of hobby to do's. I do place my clean up tray on my painting desk every night to remind myself that I have to do it!  lol

And thank you for the compliment- how much do I owe you?  lol